Good morning everyone. This weekend, like the past two months of weekends and possibly quite a few future weekends will be (live)streamed. It is what it is, we may as well try and make the most of it. Since it is also Mother’s Day this weekend, we are dedicating this edition to Catherine O’Hara’s masterpiece turn as Moira Rose in Schitt’s Creek.
(p.s. if this prompts you to do nothing BUT watch Schitt’s Creek all weekend long or petition Pop TV to do a special corona spinoff with nothing but Moira and her wigs in quarantine, we can’t say we blame you)
Friday May 8th
- On the BYT livestream roster: We are doing drag yoga w/ Danimal at noon on the @brightestyoungthings instagram and hanging out with Chad Drummond for a happy hour at 5pm. This is NOT A DRILL. See you there!
- ALSO: Cinco de mayo may have been 3 days a go, but it is always a good time for tacos: our + Hoegaarden’s Spring Collective series wraps up with Chaia Tacos at 2pm on @brightestyoungthings instagram where the beloved unconventional taco shop takes over the BYT Livestream to bring nature right into your homes with a “Host Your Own Taco Picnic”. The event benefits Frontline Foods.
- THEN, Dead To Me S2 hits Netflix! PREPARE 2 BINGE!
- You can also always catch a new (digital) round of America’s Next Top Cult (a live comedy show that lets YOU be the judge of three fictional cults) at 7pm ET! Caveat will host, donate if you can!
- More in the mood to learn? Bluestockings will host Climate Action for Total Beginners at 6:30pm ET; 2-hour meeting, $10 suggested donation.
- Hang out with White Ford Bronco, Marcella Kriebel, Tommy McFly and more at the Living La Vida Corona virtual gala.
- Meanwhile, Catland (Bushwick’s favorite witch shop) is hosting a $15 Zoom class all about magic ‘n poisonous plants!
- Plus Matt Wolf, director of the new film Spaceship Earth, will join environmental scientist Andrew Reid Bell and biospherians Linda Leigh and Mark Nelson for a live conversation and Q&A via Moving Image! The chat is free with RSVP, but do consider screening the film beforehand for $3.99!
- In terms of tunes, Nathaniel Rateliff is set to go live for Pickathon’s Concert A Day at 4pm ET!
- Freeform is also going live at 4pm ET with some artists featured on Good Trouble; SYML, In The Valley Below and more are on deck.
- At 9pm ET, meanwhile, we’ve got Yaeji ‘n Friends goin’ live on Instagram as part of a Club Q collab // YASSSS!
- DC Noir in support of local bookstores kicks off tonight!
- Stella Donnelly will also take on a 9pm ET time slot for BABY TV; additional performances by Jordi Davieson (San Cisco) and Carla Geneve, $5-$50!
- AND at 10pm ET, Diplo and RHYE are going live on YouTube.
- Not into that? Tune into New Mexico’s Virtual LemonAid at 10pm ET! Lineup features David Byrne, Buffy Sainte-Marie, Meredith Monk, Ali MacGraw and MORE.
Saturday May 9th
- It is World Bonsai Day at DC’s Bonsai Foundation. Typing this somehow fills us with joy.
- Equally mentally restoring is the new, interactive ARTECHOUSE online exhibition – Explorations in Blue
- First, if you’ve got a kid aged 3-8, the NYPL will host Online Drag Queen Story Hour w/ Luna Paradise, who’ll be reading stories and singing songs in French and English!
- Spend the day (virtually) at Porter Robinson’s Secret Sky Festival! Lineup includes Anamanaguchi, Doss, Madeon, Jai Wolf and more, and everything kicks off at 2pm ET.
- You can also switch on Or:la’s 2pm DJ set for HÖR Berlin’s YouTube live stream!
- Or if Lianne La Havas is more your speed, she’s going live on Instagram at 1pm ET for La Blogotheque’s #StayAwayShows series!
- In terms of nighttime tuneage, Zach Donovan of Subtle Pride (Brigette Lundy-Paine, Misha Brooks, Mina Walker) is set to do a lil’ DJ party for BABY TV starting at 10pm ET! Tickets are $5-$8.
- Plus Lucius will be doing a live Zoom DJ set starting at 10:30pm ET!
- But we should all probably take a moment to celebrate science, so let’s be sure to tune into LIVEMEDAID, a live-streamed benefit show ft. Neil deGrasse Tyson, Jane Goodall and more! Runs from 6pm to 11pm ET.
- DC Jazz Fest is hosting at home series every Saturday at 7.
- For DIY vibes, hit up Brooklyn Brainery’s course load! Choose from Online Floral Design w/ Fleur Elise ($25), Herbal Medicine and Foods For Spring Allergies ($10) and/or Homemade Ice Cream ($15).
- More into muppets? Moving Image will host another Henson-centric Q+A at 7pm ET tonight, this time with performer Stephanie D’Abruzzo and puppeteer/producer Bill Barretta – who performs Dr. Teeth, Rowlf, The Swedish Chef and more! $10 suggested donation.
Sunday May 10th
- Happy Mother’s Day! CALL YOUR MOTHER!
- If you are in DC check out this list of themed food/brunch/drink specials you can order to go or order a Mother in your life a gift from one of these spots.
- Or…celebrate with the Mother’s Day edition of Witches of Old New York, in which Marie Carter takes you on a journey back in time to learn about the women who were considered “witches” in pre-twentieth century NYC! (Festive!) Tickets are $10 each.
- We are also quite into Comedy Central’s CALL YOUR MOTHER, featuring Tig Notaro, our comedy BFF, and many other Bentzen Ball alums like Bridget Everett, Jim Gaffigan and more.
- For even more intellectually stimulating times, head on over to This Might Help: A Poetry Class w/ the Brooklyn Public Library at 2pm ET! The focus will be on poets who find comfort in the midst of difficulty, and it’s free to attend on Zoom.
- Meanwhile, Charlotte Druckman will be virtually discussing her newly released (and eerily well-timed) cookbook, Kitchen Remix, for a MOFAD x Gastro Obscura event at 8pm ET! Grab a reserved ticket for $15, or make it $55 and you’ll get a copy of the cookbook, too.
- In tunes land, catch United We Stream’s presentation of STAY HOMO ft. live-streamed DJ sets from The Black Madonna, Roisin Murphy and more!
- Plus City Winery and Billy Bragg have a little live Mother’s Day extravaganza up their sleeves ft. performances by Rufus Wainwright, Loudoun Wainwright, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Indigo Girls, Joan Osborne, Joseph Arthur, The Mountain Goats, Stella Donnelly, KT Tunstall and MORE! Action kicks off at 5pm ET, tickets are $10 and benefit The United Nations Foundation fund addressing sexual and reproductive health and rights during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- You can also hop back on La Blogotheque’s #StayAwayShows train at 1pm ET, ‘cause Luke Jenner of The Rapture is set to go live with them today!
- Or close out your weekend by cuttin’ a rug with Nowadays! Tonight’s Virtual Sunday live stream kicks off at 8pm ET and will feature Aurora Halal ‘n Club Fitness ’til late!
BYT makes our living off of things that are currently non-existent as a source of income (arts, events, arts and event advertising). If you’d like to support the work we do, click here. Every little helps right now. Thank you.