Good morning everyone. This weekend, like the past weekends and many future weekends ahead will be livestreamed. It is what it is, we may as well try and make the most of it.
Before we start, in the great tradition of (temporarily suspended) Best Weekend Bets, some must-reads and resources:
- Please stay home.
- If you don’t have face masks, make one (and hell, make someone you love one) – here’s how. And you can make them out of almost anything.
Essential Links and Reads this week:
- We kicked off our new column: Isolation Diaries this week and the first one is an amazing read – we’re all in this (alone) together, after all.
- Feeling a little down? Here are some things (from legitimate resources to Lizzo meditating with you) we hope will help.
- We also pretended it was Christmas on Wednesday, which actually kind of did help.
- Speaking of gifts – here is a list of 100+ local DC businesses open for shipping. It is a live list, so if you have anything to add, ping the email address in the post for update purposes. Support the future you want to find at the end of this.
- 730DC is keeping an amazing live doc with links for people looking to help in the community right now, bookmark it, use it, etc
- Community spotlight: Rep 9:30 Club and The Anthem in Animal Crossing! They have some custom T-shirts for ya!
- Tune into @brightestyoungthings instagram for our daily livestreams, so you can see faces from our community and feel a little less isolated.
Friday April 10th
- Start the day off by kicking off a virtual tour of the hotel from the Shining. This news actually deserves a special bonus gif:
- New albums from The Strokes and Laura Marling are out now!
- For live-streamed tunes times, get to DIY Mag’s IG; today marks the start of their weekend-long DIYsolation Fest starting at 9am ET ft. a 4pm ET DJ set from Metronomy’s Anna Prior!
- Plus Okay Kaya goes live on Quarantunes at 5pm ET!
- Go livestream speed dating with DC Fray!
- Meanwhile, Toronto’s Club Quarantine has been going live every night at 9pm ET (6pm ET on Saturdays) to host Zoom queer dance parties!
- Across the pond, meanwhile, London’s Queer House Party goes live w/ tunes starting at 4pm ET…
- …PLUS the one and only Peach will be doing a live DJ set for Barcelona’s MARICXS over on YouTube starting at 3pm ET!
- (Also, check out our full guide to queer virtual programming for max LGBTQuarantine goodness!)
- We’ve been enjoying Matador revisionist history.
- In literary (and culinary) land, Fanny Singer (daughter of food icon and activist Alice Waters) will be having a Zoom chat to Tamar Adler about Always Home: A Daughter’s Recipes & Stories for Books Are Magic!
- Or if you’re just looking for a live-streamed comedy show all about art, look no further than Caveat’s presentation of Modern Whitney!
Saturday April 11th
- Kicking things off in LOL town, most definitely tune in to Comedy at The Covid Arms! Kiri Pritchard Mclean has put this one together in support of comedians and The Trussell Trust, and one of the headliners is our lord and savior Aisling Bea! Action starts at 2pm ET, tickets start at £2 (about $2.50) and you’ve got up until noon DOS to grab ‘em.
- Speaking of LOL town, Rick Kirkham (the one-time producer of Joe Exotic’s reality show) will be telling HIS side of the bananas dot com Tiger King story starting at 2pm ET via interactive live stream! Tickets are $3.99-$4.99 a pop. This deserves a special gif as well:
- Curl up with a nice book – we recommend these ones which can sort of feel like a hug or a hi-five.
- ALSO: SNL is releasing their first ever remote episode. #SNLZoom or #SNL at home? Regardless, bless. Plus, is it kind of weird that we are super into seeing Kate McKinnon’s and Bowen’s homes?
- In terms of tunes, Kim Petras is set to headline NYX Cosmetic’s Epic Together Virtual Music Festival at 9pm ET!
- Plus Pale Waves are set to headline DIYsolation Fest with a 4pm ET set! Full lineup kicks off at 9am ET.
- Meanwhile, Jaden Smith goes live on IG for Levi’s at 8:01pm ET!
- OR if dancin’ is your MO, RSVP to House of Yes’ Cyber Saturdays party which kicks off at 8pm ET across multiple platforms!
- More into books? C Pam Zhang will be discussing her debut novel, How Much Of These Hills Is Gold, with Alice Sola Kim! Zoom chat brought to you by Books Are Magic.
- But maybe you’re just a big Ed Helms fan, in which case catch him in digital conversation with David Canfield about Coffee & Kareem for 92Y!
- Parasite is NOW STREAMING on Hulu! It was our film team’s #1 movie of 2019 (with a caption “Best reminder that we are all in this together”). Check out our film section for more quality streaming recommendations.
Sunday April 12th
- It is EASTER! Really! Washingtonian and DCist both have great lists of places to order your Easter feasts.
- The main thing we care about today is the return of Killing Eve on BBC America + AMC // SHE IS RISEN at 9PM ET!
- Try to make some new dishes based on these recipes from our favorite restaurants!
- 18th and U Duplex diner is hosting a 80s dance party.
- Tunes-wise, Princess Nokia is also taking the virtual stage for NYX Fest today starting at 6pm ET!
- AND v. pumped that Marika Hackman’s got a 3pm ET set for DIYsolation Fest! To catch the full lineup, head on over to IG at 9am ET.
- More into storytelling vibes? Hit up Caveat’s live-streaming situations! First up at 3:30pm ET is Queer Memoir (tonight’s theme is CISHET NONSENSE), and starting at 6:30pm it’s Shoes Off, Mouth Off, a storytelling show with all AAPI storytellers!
Any other suggestions? Ideas? We’d love to hear what you are doing to keep yourself going. Let us know at [email protected]
BYT makes our living off of things that are currently non-existent as a source of income (arts, events, arts and event advertising). If you’d like to support the work we do, click here. Every little helps right now. Thank you.