Well, it’s set to be p. dreary in terms of weather (at least until Sunday), but there are plenty of things to do if it ends up being too rainy to enjoy the great outdoors; loads of virtual programming is on deck, plus there are several drive-in movie screenings if you find yourself going stir-crazy. (We do recommend putting on a rain slicker and masking up for DemandDC’s 3pm march on Saturday, though.) Before we get into all the details, here’s what you might’ve missed on BYT this week:
- Mariah Miranda shared her pandemic porch portraits series with us, and it is the most delightful photo set you’ll view all week.
- Does Taco Bell’s Pineapple Whip Freeze hold a candle to Dole Whip? (Hard to say, my parents never took me to Disney.)
- Our SUMMER RULES series continued with entries from El Camino Travel’s Katalina Mayorga, HOMME DC’s Amir Browder, Pennyroyal Station’s Chef Jesse Miller, South Block’s Amir Mostafavi and stand-up comic Haywood Turnipseed Jr.
- We had a pandemic check-in with a hairstylist, and with Liza Anne, who just put out a new record.
- Here’s your weekly guide to being a better ally, plus 5 more places to consider donating this week if you have the funds. (Also, check out Crooked Run Brewing’s new beers that will support BLM DC and Know Your Rights Camp.)
- Want some good old fashioned sp00ks in July? DC Shorts’ Summer Chills 2020 is happening now through Sunday ft. 9 thriller and horror films from 6 different countries.
- I binged In My Skin on Hulu yesterday morning and thought it was REAL GOOD.
- Did you know reading cookbook forewords is very relaxing?
- And if you need more inspiration for books, movies, TV and more to consume, here are our weekly picks.
Friday July 31st
- Got a car? Wanna catch a drive-in movie? You can watch Talladega Nights at Savage Mill, or watch Wayne’s World via Capital One’s Summer Drive-In Movie Nights.
- In terms of tunes, you can hit up virtual Lollapalooza 2020 over on YouTube starting at 6pm ET. Today’s lineup features a mix of archived and live performances from Gus Dapperton, mxmtoon, Chance the Rapper, Alison Wonderland and more.
- It’s also Newport Folk Revival Weekend, which is going full archive with past performances from Courtney Barnett, Jack White, Wilco, Fleet Foxes and more. Tune in via Newport Folk Radio today at 11am ET through Sunday evening.
- Plus NPR’s WXPN Virtual Musikfest kicks off at noon ET ft. performances by Strand of Oaks, Low Cut Connie and more.
- And Good Room’s FIXED Weekender live stream kicks off on Twitch from 6pm to midnight; performances to come from Kim Ann Foxman, The Juan MacLean, JDH, DJ Wawa and more. Funds to be raised for the National Police Accountability Project, Black Visions Collective and Good Room.
- Meanwhile, Diet Cig will be going live at 8pm ET to support NIVA and The Okra Project; catch that set via noonchorus.
- In literary territory, meanwhile, OutWrite (DC’s annual LGBTQ literary festival) kicks off virtually today and runs through Sunday.
- Plus you can catch virtual conversations about Mark Gevisser’s The Pink Line: Journeys Across the World’s Queer Frontiers (6pm ET) and Zaina Arafat’s You Exist Too Much (8pm ET) via Politics & Prose’s live series // suggested donations of $5+.
- And for even more stimulating conversation, be sure to hit up Busboys & Poets’ Zoom dinner with Nikole Hannah-Jones (founder of the 1619 Project) starting at 6pm ET.
Saturday August 1st
- For starters, hit up Dark Star Park bright ‘n early at 9:32am. Why such a specific time? Because (provided it’s not raining) the sun is going to do a cool magic trick and create a special shadow show via Nancy Holt’s five concrete spheres, an event that only happens once a year.
- Later, head to the National Museum of African American History and Culture starting at 3pm to march with DemandDC.
- Meanwhile, virtual old-’n-new Lollapalooza continues on YouTube today. Starting at 6pm ET you can catch Ellie Goulding, Jane’s Addiction, OutKast and more.
- NPR’s WXPN Virtual Musikfest continues today, too, ft. performances from Citizen Cope, Valerie June and more starting at noon ET.
- Plus Good Room’s FIXED Weekender live stream continues over on Twitch today beginning at noon ET.
- More into movies? Hit up a drive-in screening of Crazy Rich Asians at Columbia Pike, or Ferris Bueller’s Day Off at Capital One’s Drive-In Summer Movie Nights.
- Or if you’re after stand-up vibes, catch Sam Morrill Tells New Jokes & Stories via Nowhere Comedy Club’s Zoom live stream; starts at 9pm ET, tickets from $10.
- Video game nerd? SAAM Arcade has gone virtual this year, so today and tomorrow you can have access to the games featured in their Indie Developer Showcase.
Sunday August 2nd
- Virtual Lollapalooza is set to wrap up today on Youtube. Beginning at 6pm ET we’ve got more archived and live performances from Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Arcade Fire, Princess Nokia, Kaskade and more.
- Also, NPR’s WXPN Virtual Musikfest continues today ft. Pixies, Ron Gallo, Dr. Dog and more starting at noon ET.
- And Good Room’s FIXED Weekender live stream wraps up on Twitch today starting at noon ET.
- In terms of literary vibes, most definitely tune into A Celebration of James Baldwin with Eddie S. Glaude Jr. and Jon Meacham via Politics & Prose’s live series. Starts at 5pm ET, suggested donation of $5+.
- Plus there’s a new round of Bluestockings’ Feminist Book Club via Zoom starting at 2:30pm ET; today’s discussion will revolve around Assata: An Autobiography by Assata Shakur.
- Or if it’s movie vibes you’re after, Footloose is screening at Capital One’s Drive-In Movie Nights.
Once again, we hope you stay safe, mobilized and vigilant (AND HYDRATED) out there this weekend. In the meantime, did we miss something? Drop us a line at [email protected]