Well here we are again at the start of another weekend! We’re still shouting out loads of at-home-friendly programming (seeing as Covid numbers are on the rise, and we’re not out of the Thanksgiving woods yet), but we do also offer a few outdoor and/or well-ventilated options for those of you who can’t stand one minute longer in the house. Whether you feel like joining in on a virtual dinner with Marianne Williamson, scoping an online Cat Stevens covers show, renting Ammonite at home, or scooping up the pets for photos with Santa, there’s plenty to unpack here.
But first, here are a couple of things you might’ve missed from the BYT universe this week:
- It’s officially December, meaning it’s officially time to bust out the (often bad) holiday movies ‘n TV // here’s our guide to what’s streaming right now.
- (Speaking of films, here’s our official preview of AFI’s EU Showcase.)
- In search of some new holiday tunes? Here are a few that are hot off the 2020 presses.
- Plus Misty Mtn have a new seasonally-appropriate track out; give it a listen, and scope the band’s top picks for where to shop small this holiday season.
- Washington Performing Arts’ Dance In DC series officially kicked off this week// be sure to check out the programming as it rolls out.
- Still on a Giving Tuesday kick? Here are some suggestions for where and how to donate.
- Kelsey Darragh (who you may recognize from the internet) is v. appropriately putting out a mental health workbook called Don’t F’cking Panic, and we spoke with her all about it.
- Speaking of which, we could all use a little more vino this year // here are our favorite wine bars in DC.
- Food-wise, you’ve got a few more weeks to enjoy fall flavors, so check out these dishes around town.
- Paraíso serves delicious pink tacos. (And before you ask – no, it’s not a euphemism in this case.)
- And here’s everything we’re loving entertainment-wise this week, from books to tunes to video games.
Friday, December 4th
- First of all, OH MY GOD, Marianne Williamson is tonight’s guest of honor at Busboys & Poets’ weekly virtual dinner series. (Clearly tune in for THAT experience at 6pm ET.)
- More into art than mystical politics? Tune into a new Hirshhorn virtual talk; at noon ET today artist Armando Lopez-Bircann will join Hirshhorn assistant curator Betsy Johnson to discuss their performative art practice.
- Shifting into tunes, NMWA is hosting a new round of The Tea at noon ET ft. a virtual performance by VeVe Marley.
- Later, be sure to catch a $5 Skullcrusher show via BABY TV at 8pm ET.
- PLUS Trixie Whitley’s going live from Elsewhere’s rooftop in Brooklyn at 8pm ET for $11.30.
- And Robert Glasper Acoustic Trio will be doing a virtual performance for the Kennedy Center at 8pm ET; tickets are $20 a pop.
- It’s also the first Friday in December, which can only mean one thing – BANDCAMP FRIDAY! Support your favorite artists, who’ll receive 100% of sales for 24 hours. (Great holiday shopping opportunity, too.)
- In the mood to learn new culinary skills? Discover the art of making your own vinegar from fruit scraps via Brooklyn Brainery’s $22 virtual class at 7pm ET.
- Or if streaming is more your jam, Ammonite officially hits VOD for $19.99 today, plus The Prom is on Netflix, and a new round of Dance In DC premieres tonight ft. Ashanté Green’s performance at Chaia Tacos.
Saturday, December 5th
- Kick off your Saturday shows with a 3pm ET virtual Cat Stevens cover fest ft. performances by HAIM, Feist, Sad13, Bonnie Prince Billy and more.
- You can also catch a $20-ish Liam Gallagher performance via Melody VR at 3pm ET.
- Later, No Joy’s No Bummer All Summer Virtual Beach Party is set to kick off at 8pm ET; Sad13, Winter and more are set to perform for $9.98.
- We’ve also got the Gay Men’s Chorus of Washington DC taking their annual Holiday Show online tonight through December 20th; tickets are $25.
- Plus catch a virtual Lindsey Buckingham performance at 8:30pm ET for $15.
- We’ve also got Madison McFerrin going live via Apollo Music Cafe at 9pm ET for $0+.
- And Kim Gordon, Ben Gibbard, Angel Olsen and more will be streaming via YouTube at 10:30pm ET to benefit SMooCH.
- More into cooking vibes? Nik Sharma will be giving a $35 virtual crash course on samosa pie at 6pm ET for Books Are Magic.
- Or if you’re trying to do outside things, The Wharf is screening Elf all weekend; grab a personal fire pit with room for up to four people for $60.
- Plus Wunder Garten is hosting its annual ugly Christmas sweater party from 6pm to 10pm.
Sunday, December 6th
- Kicking things off in cooking territory, you can hit up another Sixth & I baking with Sonny’s virtual class at 4pm ET; this time it’s all about DONUTS, and tickets are $30.
- 92Y is also hosting a virtual $25 latke-making class with Danielle Renov at noon ET…
- …and/or take a $28 virtual crash-course in homemade tempeh with Brooklyn Brainery at 10am ET.
- Not occult enough for ya? Sign up for a four-part Catland intensive titled The Natural Witch’s Cookbook; meets virtually on Sundays in December at 7pm ET, and the whole package will run you $75.
- Stepping outside the kitchen, you can also take a Profs & Pints online course all about Krampus ‘n other dark holiday lore starting at 7pm ET. Tickets are $12 a pop.
- More into TV? Catch A Holly Dolly Christmas on CBS at 8:30pm ET, duh!
- But maybe you’re looking to get out of the house, in which case mask up and head to NMWA for another free admission community day.
- You can also swing by Wunder Garten with your pet for some photos with Santa from 1pm to 5pm! Portraits are $25, and the funds will benefit City Dogs Rescue & City Kitties.