Welcome back to another WEEKEND. Lots on deck the next couple of days, all of which we will discuss momentarily. BUT FIRST, here’s a bunch of rad stuff you might’ve missed on BYT this week:
- We’re celebrating National Black Owned Business Month throughout August over on our IG Live with a whole bunch of takeovers! Check out the schedule here.
- DC Dog Days is going virtual this weekend! Details!
- Seth Rogen’s An American Pickle debuted on HBO Max tomorrow, so we talked to his costar, Molly Evensen, about seltzer, drinking pickle juice straight from the jar and more.
- Meanwhile, What Keeps You Alive is the worst queer movie I have ever seen, and Summerland is the worst WWII movie Alan has ever seen.
- Travel YouTube Kraig Adams talked to us about what it’s like to be nomadic during a pandemic.
- We spoke to Josh Kramer about his cool new series (which is set 100 years in the future) for 730DC.
- We also spoke to PREP about their new single, and got the lowdown on what it’s like to ride out COVID in London, England.
- Resident beer expert Phil Runco took a deep dive into Waterford, VA brewery Wheatland Spring.
- This week’s SUMMER RULES contributors included Silvan Kraemer and Chef David Fritsche of Stable, LMFT Esther Boykin, Gwyn Love, Kyle Bornheimer and Samara Rittinger.
- Here’s your weekly guide to being a better ally, plus five more places to donate if you can.
- And lastly, here’s everything we love this week ft. Deepak Chopra, One Upon A Time In Hollywood and more.
Friday August 7th
- It’s Bandcamp Friday! Be sure to support your favorite artists today, because they stand to receive 100% of sales!
- (Also, Washed Out has a new record out today! V. chill vibes amirite!)
- Be sure to tune into Busboys and Poets’ weekly Zoom dinner series tonight; the guest of honor is Alice Walker, and everything starts at 6pm ET.
- You can also learn how to make pupusas for free via Zoom! (!!!)
- Or you can head over to Union Market’s pop-up cookout ft. BBQ specials ‘n refreshing cocktails!
- In terms of shows, The Weeknd is going on TikTok Live starting at 8:30pm ET // watching people do the “Blinding Lights” TikTok dance was like, pivotal survival fuel re: not falling into a pit of eternal pandemic despair for me, so I WILL BE THERE.
- Wild Nothing will also be taking to Twitch starting at 3pm ET, and NPR’s WXPN Virtual Musikfest begins again at noon ET ft. Caroline Rose, Nightmares on Wax and more.
Saturday August 8th
- For starters, join us as we go live with a takeover from Long Live Go Go founder Yaddiya at 5pm ET, and a livestream from Junkyard Band at 6pm ET! You can join in person from 5pm – 9pm at 14th and U Street, but just make sure to wear a mask, bring water, etc.
- You should also 110% hit up Afro Soca Love: Supply Store Pop Up ft. Black-owned businesses, food vendors and more! Passes are just $5, kids 16 and under get in free.
- Early(ish) riser? Hit up DeepBeats digital yoga class via House of Yes’ Zoom stream! Tickets are $5+, and class begins at 10am ET.
- Or if you wanna brave IRL fitness, Union Market is hosting a 45-minute cardio class on the roof at 8:15am! Tickets are $20.
- In terms of tunes, we’ve got NPR’s WXPN Virtual Musikfest ft. Kacey Musgraves, Grace Potter, Sunflower Bean and more starting at noon ET.
- Or if comedy is more your jam, catch Greg Proops’ live recording of Smartest Man in the World via Nowhere Comedy Club’s Zoom stream! Tickets start at $10.
- Plus Cheshire will host a socially distanced comedy show ft. Petey Deabreu, Chris Alan and more! Tickets are $20, show starts at 7:30pm.
- OR if you just wanna channel your inner drinks guru, Columbia Room will be virtually teaching you how to make cocktails that are “sessionable” (can drink more than a few and not get drunk) and “adult drinks” that are delicious without alcohol! Starts at 5pm ET, $72 a ticket.
Sunday August 9th
- First of all, head to the National Museum of African American History and Culture for outdoor Yoga for Black Lives! Tickets start at $5.50.
- Wanna work on your green thumb? You can volunteer at H Street Farms from noon to 4pm!
- Meanwhile, NPR’s WXPN Virtual Musikfest will kickstart our digital day again at noon ET! We’ve got Ray LaMontagne, Brandi Carlile, Josh Ritter and more set to perform.
- And definitely do not miss Björk with Hamrahlið Choir, which’ll be live-streamed from Harpa in Reykjavik starting at 3pm ET!
- You can also take a cool ass bioart class via Brooklyn Brainery’s virtual mycelium course, in which you’ll learn how to grow and form mycelium, which is the web-like root of fungus organisms! (P. tight!) Tickets are $7.
- Also, I failed you last week in not alerting you to the fact that Taskmaster is now on the CW on Sunday nights at 9pm; it is easily my favorite show, and it could be your favorite show, too!
Once again, we hope you stay safe, mobilized and vigilant (AND HYDRATED) out there this weekend. In the meantime, did we miss something? Drop us a line at [email protected]