This week we got a new toy. A Twitter account called @BYTEatDrink, which we hope you will follow for all the latest in food and drink news. It’s pretty damn great so far.
Want some local food news?
- Need a job? The Cap City Diner is close to opening and needs staff. Interviews start on the 23rd. Frozen Tropics has all the details. I’m pretty stoked on their breakfast offerings of “pancakes, waffles, hash browns, omelettes, country ham, etc.”
- Homemade Pizza Co. opens tomorrow on 14th. So naturally, that means free pizza between 4-7. Live tweets from Tuesday night spoke of long lines rewarded with whole pizzas, to be baked at home. Thanks for the tip @FrenchTwistDC and Borderstan has pics from the goings-on last night.
- MEAT WEEK? The kids at Capital Spice have organized this celebration of smoked meats here in DC. Starts Jan 31. Full details here. Elizabeth and Mike, I’ll see you at Mr. P’s for some parking lot BBQ!
- The Obamas volunteered at SOME on Monday on 1st and O Street. The Washington Times calls it a “hardscrabble neighborhood,” I call it “down the street.”
- Obama’s celebrate Michelle’s 46th birthday at Restaurant Nora. We update the “Obama Ate Here” map.
- Fundraising efforts for Haiti Relief continue. Dining in DC has a summary, Metrocurean has a list here, and so do we. (Red Cross cupcakes from Buzz Bakery shown here)
- The Sacrificial Lamb, an awesomely named kabob and pizza place, has opened at 17th and R. (Via Thrillist DC)
- Why did I not know that Tomatillo, a lunchtime taqueria, had opened inside the Big Hunt.
And now some stuff from the round up:
- Most valiant blog ever. A school teacher will eat a school lunch each school day in 2010 and blog about it.
- Twinkies only last 25 days?
- Remember that Scottish lady who couldn’t get home to her husband after running out for groceries during Christmas? 30 days later she’s home…AND she missed his birthday too.
- Invasive species? No worries, we’ll eat them. Expect to see the prolific Asian Carp marketed as Silverfin. It tastes like crab and scallops. Also, the fish are big suckers and they jump. Also, new word for the day = Electrofishing. Electrofishing…
We’re hoping to add more food related events to the main calendar listings. So if you have any, send them over to [email protected], or toss ’em in the comments.