All the D.C. news that’s fit to eat (and drink).
This week in BYT Food: Taste Tests, First Looks and More
- We celebrate Negroni week with the best of them.
- We previewed the José Andres 12 restaurant spectacular, Dine-N-Dash, coming up next Tuesday.
- We tried out Jardenea’s spring menu and all of its pretty food.
- We had a first lick of Pleasant Pops Downtown. This could be the perfect solution to combating D.C.’s summer humidity.
Upcoming Food Events:
- June 5 – This Friday is national donut day. So grab a loved one and head over to Astro Doughnuts & Fried Chicken who will be marking the occasion with a special doughnut with a strawberry glaze, blueberry drizzle and lemon buttercream topping. 100% of sales will benefit the Fisher House Foundation.
- June 6 – Black Jack and Pearl Dive Oyster Palace to Host Oyster and Grower Champagne Tasting.
- June 6 – Zentan’s summer class series continues with a Negroni Week cocktail class.
- June 6 – It’s Late Night at Daikaya crawfish boil edition. There’ll be New Orleans inspired cocktails, Louisiana beers, and frozen libations.
- June 8 through 12 – Graffiato will present a Jersey Shore themed menu that will include boardwalk bites like disco fries and fried chicken.
- June 15 – Celebrate National Bourbon Day at Barrel with a tasting and dinner menu chosen specifically for the occasion.
- August 9-16 – D.C. Beer Week seeks to educate all on good beer through events and seminars, kicking off with an event at Union Market featuring 20 of the region’s best breweries.
- Summer Long – Chef Christopher Morgan of The Partisan curated a new menu at McClellan’s Retreat in Dupont, featuring new bites Angostura Beef Jerky and a Pork Belly Cuban sandwich.
- Summer Long – Del Campo will be offering a fixed price traditional Argentine asado dinner.
Other Food News:
- CEO of &pizza steps down. (Eater).
- New word on Woodley Park’s Bar Civita (Eater).
- Pizza Vinoteca closed in Arlington. Adieu, Merlot-infused pies, adieu (Washingtonian).
- That guy who put up a tag on the side of a future Subway in Mount Pleasant expresses remorse (City Paper).
- Tupelo Honey Cafe, NC based Southern restaurant, opens in Court House, serving “late night brunch” until 1 A.M (City Paper).
- 24 hour diner to open in Dupont Circle (Borderstan).
- There’s a new farmers market on Wednesdays in Columbia Heights from now until September 30 (PoPville).
- Petworth’s culinary incubator EatsPlace will be hosting a Filipino street-food pop-up June 12-13. (WaPo).