All the D.C. news that’s fit to eat (and drink).
This week in BYT Food: Taste Tests, First Looks and More
- The Union Station Shake Shack is serving breakfast now and it’s delicious.
- Redskins Wide Receiver Pierre Garcon opened up a new Spinfire Pizza location in Rosslyn.
- Our Happy Hour Hotline Sports Edition is up. Get to drinking. And winning!
- We taste tested the Nage summer cocktails. They’re good.
- We took a Denizen’s Brewing Company tour.
- We had an chat with Greg Engert, Brent Kroll and Jeff Faile about spring drinking and this weekend’s ABV.
- Warm weather is burger weather. Eat burgers. Use our Burger Guide to find the best burgers. Burgers.
Upcoming Food Events:
- Throughout May – Donate $2 to No Kid Hungry at Shake Shack and receive a complimentary card for a hand-spun shake as part of Shake Shack’s 4th annual Great American Shake Sale.
- May 14– Doner kabobs and Turkish wine at Ankara’s sidewalk cafe and patio opening.
- May 15 through 17 – “Taste of Montgomery” at the Westfield Montgomery Mall is a weekend-long food festival sampling the local vibrant culinary scene.
- May 16 – ABV! Buy tickets here!
- May 16 and 23 – Learn the art of making ramen at Daikaya with its new Sapporo Ramen 101 classes.
- May 16 – Hang out with One Eight Distilling for World Whiskey Day and get a free tour of the newly opened distillery, as well as complimentary tastings. Mockingbird Hill and Southern Efficiency host an Untitled No. 1 Release Party later in the day with special cocktails and flights.
- May 20 – World-class embassy chefs to showcase small plates at the 7th Annual Gala Embassy Chef Challenge presented by Cultural Tourism DC.
- May 21 – Margarita Wars is back at the Navy Yard for its third year. Get your ticket now to watch 18 mixologists from the DC area battle for the winner title, and enjoy unlimited margarita tastings.
- May 21 – Chefs Danny Lee and Jesse Miller are teaming up with Compass Rose for a Korean Night Market pop up.
- May 25 – Join in on the Memorial Day festivities with City Tap House’s Inaugural Oyster “Shuckfest.” Stop by for food, live bluegrass music and a game of cornhole.
- Late May – New Ledroit Park neighborhood restaurant The Royal to officially open toward the end of May. Expect an extensive wine list and house made Vermouth at this new eatery from the owner of Vinoteca.
- June 6 – Black Jack and Pearl Dive Oyster Palace to Host Oyster and Grower Champagne Tasting.
- June 15 – Celebrate National Bourbon Day at Barrel with a tasting and dinner menu chosen specifically for the occasion.
Other Food News:
- Condo The Lauren has a Master Sommelier on staff. (Eater)
- Thrillist published their list of the the best burgers in Maryland.
- The first floor of Roofers Union is about to become Jug & Table. (City Paper)
- The New York Times Frugal Traveler visited D.C. and that means that people in D.C. thinks one guys opinion is complete and utter bullshit.