All the D.C. news that’s fit to eat (and drink).
This week in BYT Food: Taste Tests, First Looks and More
- From the food to outdoor seating and drinks, Lapis Afghan Bistro has everything you could ever want.
- There’s a new pizza joint in town, and we say the more pizza places, the better.
- We tried 3 different Virginia wineries in one day. It was a great day.
Upcoming Food Events:
- Throughout May – Donate $2 to No Kid Hungry at Shake Shack and receive a complimentary card for a hand-spun shake as part of Shake Shack’s 4th annual Great American Shake Sale.
- May 6 to 8 – Granville Moore’s is concluding its week-long celebration in honor of their RAMMY nomination, so catch some of these last good deals on good beers:
- May 6 – It’s the last day to participate in RAMW’s Mother’s Day brunch reservation giveaway! Upload pictures and videos of what you love most about mom using the instagram handle @RAMWdc and #RAMMYSBrunch for the chance to win a four-person reservation for Mother’s Day at the 2015 RAMMYS brunch finalist of your choosing.
- May 6 – After the Yona pop-up leaves, Mike Isabella is launching a new menu at G, featuring classic Italian dishes for the spring and summer seasons.
- May 8 – City Tap House hosts Deschutes Flight Night with craft beer and ales from Deschutes Brewery in Portland.
- May 9 – Vinofest DC is back! Get your tickets here for the curated wine and music festival with wines from 25+ vineyards and performances by Questlove, Trust Funk and more.
- May 10 – Celebrate Mother’s Day the right way with brunch specials that are sure to delight even the pickiest of mothers.
- May 11 – You can get your Shake Shack fix bright and early with the launch of its breakfast menu at Union Station. Hello, drip coffee.
- May 16 and 23 – Learn the art of making ramen at Daikaya with its new Sapporo Ramen 101 classes.
- May 16 – Hang out with One Eight Distilling for World Whiskey Day and get a free tour of the newly opened distillery, as well as complimentary tastings. Mockingbird Hill and Southern Efficiency host an Untitled No. 1 Release Party later in the day with special cocktails and flights.
- May 21 – Margarita Wars is back at the Navy Yard for its third year. Get your ticket now to watch 18 mixologists from the DC area battle for the winner title, and enjoy unlimited margarita tastings.
- May 25 – Join in on the Memorial Day festivities with City Tap House’s Inaugural Oyster “Shuckfest.” Stop by for food, live bluegrass music and a game of cornhole.
- June 15 – Celebrate National Bourbon Day at Barrel with a tasting and dinner menu chosen specifically for the occasion.
Other Food News:
- Crumbs & Whiskers, the new cat cafe set to open in Georgetown, will not have prepared food or drinks available on site. Instead, the owner is planning to pair up with a nearby restaurant. (City Paper)
- Some skeptics are calling Chipotle’s elimination of GMOS from its menu nothing more than propaganda. (NPR)
- DC only got two nominations for The Beard Awards last Monday, and food critics still think of DC as a third-tier city. (Washingtonian)
- 100 Montaditos in Arlington closed for good. (Eater)
- Resy, the latest app to offer last minute reservations at hotspots for a fee, launched Monday. (City Paper)