All the D.C. news that’s fit to eat (and drink).
This week in BYT Food: Taste Tests, First Looks and More
- We went to Zaytinya for their Greek Easter Brunch and indulged in their food and drinks.
- It’s baseball season and that means hot dogs, peanuts and beer. Check out our happy hour hotline for the best places to grab a cold one while watching the game.
- Blue Duck Tavern’s new cheesemonger Sophie Slesinger is doing a stinky good job.
Upcoming Food Events:
- Don’t miss our YOUR BEST APRIL guide for some exciting food-related news and events to keep in mind this month.
- April 7 – The sun is out and so are guests at Urbana, which is opening up its patio today. To celebrate, the restaurant will be offering two new cocktails made with Green Hat gin between 6 p.m. and 9 p.m., along with a specially Green Hat cocktail by New Columbia Distillery. #Ginning
- April 8 – It’s National Empanada Day, and Cuba Libre is pairing with Rum Bar for a $1 empanada happy hour between 5 p.m. and 7 p.m. They’re also holding a special cooking class today, which we previewed (it was great). Also, be sure to ask about their special empanadas, both available for under $10 during lunch and dinner times.
- April 9 – One Eight Distilling and Toki Underground’s Erik Bruner-Yang (who we talked to last week) are coming together for a dine-and-drink event, pairing Toki Underground favorites with cherry blossom themed drinks. Only $20 per guest.
- April 10 – Erik Bruner-Yang is a busy guy (see here). His food-meets-fashion market Maketto, featuring Durkl, is set to open today.
- Until April 11 – It’s only “$10 Till 10” at BLT Steak, where they’re offering six chef’s specials for just $10 at the bar until, you guessed it, 10 p.m. Simple enough.
- April 11 – Get dressed in your Sunday finest and join the Bunny Hop Bar Crawl today from 2 p.m. to 10 p.m. You’ll get all sorts of drink specials from bars like Madhatter, Sign of the Whale and Front Page, for just $25 if you register now.
- April 11 – Grilled Cheese Socials are back starting today at 1 p.m. until 8 p.m., featuring music and gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches at Marvin.
- April 12 – Get “Out on the Deck” at Marvin with DJs Keenan and Smduge and all sorts of drink specials.
- April 16 – Enjoy a three course Whiskey Dinner at Pinea’s Root Cellar Whiskey Bar, featuring Ryes and Pearousia whiskeys.
- April 17 – Looking for an excuse to drink wine? You’re in luck. It’s World Malbec Day, and Rural Society is hosting complimentary wine tastings from 4 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
- April 18 – Slow and steady wins the race, or at least the Snail of Approval. Celebrate this years winners at RIS, with a menu from Chef Ris as well as a silent auction.
- April 25 – Taste of Three Cities is back in D.C. (with one more city than last time), featuring music from local bands and D.C.’s best food trucks.
Other Food News:
- D.C. is getting its very own cidery (yes, that’s a word now). (DC Eater)
- Wiseguy NY Pizza has opened for lunch only, and the lines are already insane. (ARLNow)
- The people who brought you Lincoln and Teddy and the Bully Bar are now paying homage to two founding fathers with Declaration, set to open this fall. (WaPo)
- Wal-Mart is going local, and they’re hoping D.C. will buy in. (NPR)
- Ankara is bringing Turkish food to Dupont Circle this May. (Popville)