All the D.C. news that’s fit to eat (and drink).
This week in BYT Food: Taste Tests, First Looks and More
- Local 16 launched a new Afghani menu, and we got to try it. And take pictures.
- We drank a lot of mimosas and sparkling wine and a couple cocktails at Nopa Kitchen + Bar. Oh and we had some food too, I think.
- And then we went to a scotch tasting at Compass Rose.
- We ate almost an entire pig at Cochon 555. Or two.
- We found our last supper at Food Wine & Co. And took pictures of it.
- We pit Ben & Jerry’s Spectacular Spectaculoos Cookie Core against Trader Joe’s Speculoos Cookie Butter. See who won.
- We ate all of the tapas at Taberna del Alabardero. We regret nothing.
Upcoming Food Events:
- Don’t miss our YOUR BEST MARCH guide for some exciting food-related news and events to keep in mind this month.
- DC Central Kitchen is raising money for a new refrigerated delivery truck for their Healthy Corners program. DCCK (and the Healthy Corners) is awesome, so if you can give I’m sure they would appreciate it.
- As long as there are pink trees:
- Astro Doughnuts & Fried Chicken is offering a limited release cherry blossom doughnut (a vanilla doughnut filled with house-made cherry jam and topped with a cream cheese glaze) until March 28 for just $2.95.
- Salt & Sundry is offering a 10 percent discount on the things you eat food off of.
- Rosé? It’s free wine tasting at Cordial Fine Wine & Spirits on Saturdays from 12 p.m. to 3 p.m. or Sundays from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. until April 12.
- Taste the blossoms with Sakura Black, a Japanese black tea, at Peregrine Espresso.
- Watch kernels blosson into pink popcorn in your own microwave, courtesy of Bazaar Spices.
- March 24 – In honor of cherry blossom season, Vinoteca is holding a wine class on rosé: how it’s made, how to drink it and what to eat with it. Sounds like our sort of thing.
- March 24 – Celebrate Passover at the first of the Signature Demo series, in which Nick Wiseman of DGS Delicatessen will demo and serve some of his favorite Passover dishes.
- March 25 – Raise your glass to Jack Rose’s newest bottle of bourbon at their Whiskey Toast tonight. Whiskey is $7 and there are special deals on Flying Dog brews and bar snacks all night. Hint: get there between 6 p.m. and 7:30 p.m., there are free hors d’oeuvres.
- March 26 – BLT Steak and Dad’s Hat Pennsylvania Rye are bringing rye and food together for one whiskey-fueled night.
- March 27 – Throw down at La Grande Fete, an all out food party with food and drink from over 30 embassies and music, featuring Emeline Michel and DJ Princess Slaya.
- March 27 – It’s National Paella Day and Jaleo is celebrating with a $6 plate of their Paella Valenciana.
- March 29 – Mike Friedman of The Red Hen is participating in the Passover Signature Demo series at the Whole Foods in Rockville, while Amy Brandwein of Centrolina is at the Whole Foods on Kentlands.
- March 30 – Cafe Deluxe is rolling out its new spring menu featuring sweet treats like a brownie ice cream sandwich, bread pudding and apple crumble.
- March 30 – Tortilla Coast is putting a Tex Mex spin on spring dessert menus, with desserts such as warm cinnamon churros, cinnomon ancho bronies and banana split empanadas.
- March 31 – Haven’t had enough whiskey? Boss Shepherd’s and Catoctin Creek are hosting a whiskey dinner tonight, featuring a special menu by Executive Chef Jeremy Waybright.
- April 7 – From now until April 11, Fiola is offering a full five-course Passover Seder menu, including kosher dishes like Carciofi alla Giudia, Canederli In Brodo and Agnello.
- April 10 & 11 – The Capture Wine Tour is bringing music, food and all the best wines to Union Market for two evenings only. Enjoy wines from all across the nation that you won’t be able to find at your local ABC store or supermarket.
Other Food News:
- Brunch is back at the Occidental and everyone’s excited.
- Pops by Haley is coming to Union Kitchen with falvors like s’mores, red velvet, margarita and strawberry champagne.
- It’s warm(ish) outside, and local restaurants are celebrating by opening up their outdoor dining. This includes oldies like Cafe & Bar Dupont, Harth and Roofers Union and new entries Bastille, Bistrot Royal, and Del Frisco’s.
- The Pub & The People are fundraising to replace the tools that were stolen from them last week. (Popville)
- People apparently have enough money to spend thousands of dollars on wine. (WaPo)
- Chef Ike’s Mambo Room in Adam’s Morgan is closing this Saturday. (Eater DC)