All the D.C. news that’s fit to eat (and drink).
This week in BYT Food:
- Jose Andres’ long-awaited China Chilcano opened, and naturally we stopped by to try it out. It was worth it.
- Umaya had a preview dinner to excite eaters in preparation for its May 2015 opening. We gladly accepted the invitation.
- Realizing we hadn’t done a taste test at Medium Rare in Barracks Row, we decided to stop by and make it official.
- We did a new taste test at Cashion’s Eat Place, because new menu items are an open invitation for us to try them out.
- Beau Thai opened a new location in Shaw guaranteed to cheer up neighborhood residents.
Other Things You Want to Know
- Lunch and Brunch service has begun at City Perch Kitchen + Bar in North Bethesda. Hello crab cakes, farm-to-glass cocktails, waffles, peach mimosas and more.
- Orange Anchor officially opens its doors at the Washington Harbor this Friday. We got a first look at the new Georgetown Waterfront restaurant.
Upcoming Food Events:
- February 12 – Chips, for dessert? California Tortilla’s signature “Love Chips” are cinnamon-sugar dusted tortilla chips served with Nutella. And they’re FREE with any purchase for today only.
- February 14 – Rose’s House Party at Compass Rose continues every Friday at 10 p.m. through February 28th. Look forward to a keg of craft beer, red solo cups and sharpies. Tonight’s live, in-house music comes from DJ Trayze.
- February 16 – Secret Monkey Social Club hosts its first night of drinks and cabaret at Dolcezza Gelato Factory & Coffee Lab. The event includes five different pitchers of punch and plenty of jazz to accompany cabaret performances led by Shayna Blass. Doors open at 9 p.m. with free admission.
- February 10 through February 19 – Ping Pong Dim Sum starts the Chinese New Years festivities early this year with their Lucky 8 prix fixe, a set meal of eight signature dumplings to bring good luck, health and prosperity.
- February 24 – STK Washington D.C. hosts the inaugural dinner of its wine pairing dinner series. The night starts with reception, and will be accompanied by a sit-down, five-course dinner. Check out the menu here.
Valentines Day Specials (because what is romance without food):
- Farm to Feast catering offers a 50 Shades of Grey-inspired menu that includes several different food aphrodisiacs. For $100 extra they include a restraint kit, with instructions included for beginners.
- Ping Pong Dim Sum also offers a 50 Shades-inspired desert experience for two from February 13th to 15th. The deal includes silk blindfolds, flavor-tripping tabs to block sour receptors on the tongue, Guinness beer, champagne and a special, 50 shades-themed take-home box for “those looking for something extra“.
- Roofers Union is hosting a Valentine’s Day Masquerade Party from 10 p.m to 1 a.m. Masks are encouraged and Jonny Grave and the Tombstones will be playing. Bonus: all bubbly is half-off, so now you have something to love (even if you don’t love Valentine’s Day).
Other Food News:
- The First Annual Capture Artisan Wine Tour kicks off at Dock 5 at Union Market April 10-11.
- Chef Jeff Tunks now has an oyster dedicated to him. Known as “The Big Daddy,” the oyster variety is available at the raw bars in District Commons, DC Commons, PassionFish and Penn Commons.
- Shake Shack has launched their Burger Beats Contest for local musicians. Enter for a chance to be featured on Shake Shack’s Spotify playlist and played in Shacks nationwide, plus free gear and $150 in burgers.
- Did you miss Emporiyum in D.C. last November? Or went and want more? Emporiyum Baltimore has been announced for April 18th and 19th. Get ready for more food, artisans and drinks.