All the DC news that’s fit to eat (and drink).
Trick or treat! It’s the first day of October and we have food for you. Want to eat something yummy? Something cheap? You just want to drink? Well there should be something for everyone here.
This week in BYT Food:
- We released our Fall/Winter Food Guide.
- We announced Brixton as our Heineken Hub for Bentzen Ball in a whirlwind of alliteration.
- We taste-tested at Driftwood Kitchen on H Street. It was fantastic, everybody reading this should go. You can even bring your dog if you sit outside.
- We compiled a list of foods that brilliant people eat for breakfast. If you want to be brilliant, then eat the same things as Gershwin, Skinner, Beethoven, or Tolstoy (to name a few).
- We ate at Station 4 and realized that we can’t be eating outside for much longer. Good thing the food at Station 4 is just as good inside as it is outside. Go for dinner or brunch or just to get a jalapeno margarita.
- BYT took on the Capital Bacon Fest. It was bacon galore. Click here to read one man’s life-changing experience as he encountered bacon EVERYTHING.
- We have the list of ultimate hangover cures, provided by Chris Cuzme of 508 Gastrobrewery in New York. Eat hamburgers and take advil, to name a couple.
Upcoming Food Events:
- Throughout Bentzen Ball: Come to Brixton! Seriously! Drink, laugh, and be merry!
- Every Day: Legal Seafoods Oyster Festival! Everything oysters and happy hour specials through October 14th. There are more specials during their happy hour, 4-7 Monday-Friday.
- October 6-19: The 12th Annual Paella Festival at José Andrés’ Jaleo is here! We previewed these incredible dishes with Executive Chef Ramón Martínez. Read about our experience here.
- All October: Mike Isabella’s guest chef series returns to G. For its October special, G is opening its doors to New York chef Carla Hall. The Buffalo Chicken Burger is inspired by a recipe for Buffalo wings she picked up from a friend while modeling in Paris. The white meat burgers are dressed with a spicy mayo and topped with a celery and blue cheese slaw. They are available throughout the month for $12.
- Until Sunday, 10/5: Oktoberfest at Roofers Union features a special menu available from 5-10, featuring traditional marzen beers from home and abroad (available in 1 liter steins!) as well as Chef Marjorie’s take on classic German fare.
- Wednesday 10/1: You can take a U-Street Food Tour for $60. It includes the tour and the food at unique family owned restaurants in the U-Street area.
- Wednesday 10/1: The Fabioli Wine Dinner is fancy. It’s $105 with fancy wine and yummy food in Arlington.
- Thursday 10/2: THE FIRST DAY OF A 4 DAY OKTOBERFEST EXTRAVAGANZA at Döner Bistro in Adams Morgan. Starting Thursday and ending on Sunday, there are contests and happy hours and specials and shows and so on and so forth.
- Thursday 10/2: The F*ck Forks event is at the Mess Hall D.C. A bunch of chefs are going to come and make awesome and delicious finger foods. There are also cocktails and entertainment so everyone is happy. It’s $60 and all proceeds go to cancer prevention so you can eat good food and save lives. What could be more satisfying?
- Friday 10/3: THE SECOND DAY OF A 4-DAY OKTOBERFEST EXTRAVAGANZA at Döner Bistro in Adams Morgan.
- Friday 10/3: The first day of a Fall Wine Festival and Sunset at Mount Vernon. From 6-9 through Sunday you can try delicious and nice wine and small desserts while overlooking the Potomac. Additionally you can live the true American dream and meet George and Martha Washington! Evidently he never died, he just comes out for wine festivals. There’s one every night through Sunday.
- Saturday 10/4: The Bentzen Ball Presents: Breast Cancer Bites, A Charity Brunch and Cooking Class Benefiting Prevent Cancer Foundation’s George Washington Mobile Mammography Unit. From 11am – 1pm, join Executive Chef Scott Drewno
(The Source By Wolfgang Puck) along with comedians Tig Notaro, Jena Friedman, and Tommy McFly at The Source by Wolfgang Puck. $75 tickets are on Sale Now – Call 202-637-6100 for reservations.
- Saturday 10/4: Closeout Oktoberfest DC at Town Tavern. They have drink specials during the day, and half price bar bites all day including chili, drunken brats, TTT hot dogs, soft pretzels, and so on. At night they have an open bar party from 8-10pm and its ONLY $10.
- Saturday 10/4: There’s a cooking competition in Loudon to support the Operation Uplift Foundation, which supports education. It’s $50.
- Sunday 10/5: THE LAST DAY OF A 4-DAY OKTOBERFEST EXTRAVAGANZA at Döner Bistro in Adams Morgan.
- Sunday 10/5: Oktoberfest SausageFest at Roofers Union is the LAST DAY of Oktoberfest at Roofers Union.. There’s a build your own sausage bar, as well as greens salad, german potato salad, and beer & bacon sauerkraut. It’s $45 and there’s a beer stein and boot giveaway at the end of the night.
- Monday 10/6: Industry Takeover Night returns to Graffiato. This month’s lineup will include Aaron Deal of Roanoke’s The River and Rail, Tim Lipman of Coolinary Cafe in Palm Beach, and rising local star Tim Ma of Maple Ave. and Water & Wall. From 10pm to 1am, guest chefs serve complimentary late night snacks at the first floor pizza bar, and the bar offers drink specials, including some libations from guest mixologists. A $10 cash-only cover charge is requested at the door, and 50% will be donated to Fit to Fight by MIC.
Everything else that’s fit to eat (and drink):
- The prime minister of Thailand is having no shitty Thai food when she is abroad, so there’s been a robot created that will tell the difference between good thai food and imitation thai food. If you own a thai restaurant, you’re going to be judged by a robot.
- Food Network star Jamie Oliver is telling us not to half-ass our desserts. He says if we’re going to eat things that are bad for us then we might as well just go all out. I support this.
- Yahoo did an article on the tequila George Clooney served at his wedding. An article all about tequila and George Clooney. We are so blessed to live in a world like this.
- READ ABOUT A PIZZA CAKE! As someone who personally consumed some pizza cake exactly 1 week ago, I’m here to tell you that it will probably clog the shit out of your arteries but it was one of the most delicious things I have ever consumed in my entire life, thus making it totally worth it. It’s essentially pizzas stacked on top of each other and then baked together. What a time to be alive.
- Have an excess of bacon and don’t know what to do with it? I’m extremely jealous, and here are 35 Bacon Recipes for you.
- HERE’S WHERE TO GO TO PICK APPLES SINCE IT’S FALL!