All the DC news that’s fit to eat (and drink).
This week in BYT Food:
- We went to Vegfest. A bunch of vegetarians and vegans wore some dope shirts. Look at these dope shirts, here.
- We went to the Human Right Campaign Chefs For Equality event. It was glorious. See the gorgeous photos here.
- We went to Burgers R Us and it wasn’t bad but it also was not very good. Average, at best. Read our review.
- OKTOBERFEST HAPPY HOUR HOTLINE IS UP FOR THIS WEEK! Time to drink out of das boot.
- On that note, we went and tried the Oktoberfest menu at Roofers Union. 10/10 would return. We’re not even a little bit upset about the food, or the beer. But make sure you’re drinking with the boot facing you or you might spew beer everywhere. Nobody likes a spewer.
- We posted BEERYT – giving you a bunch of fall beers that don’t taste like pumpkins. You’re welcome.
Upcoming Food Events:
- Every Day – Legal Seafoods’ Oyster Festival started September 17th and lasts until October 14th. Get on it.
- Thursday, September 25 – There’s a Scandal premiere party at Jake’s American Grille. There are discounted drinks and some foods too.
- Thursday, September 25 – “Pappy Night” at Jack Rose. Specials on pretty much every Pappy van Winkle pour, and there’s also gonna be over 40 different bottles of rare Buffalo Trace whiskeys.
- Saturday, September 27 – There’s an East Meets West Japanese and Peruvian Cooking Class at Del Campo. Chefs Victor Albisu and Jonah Kim are gonna cook some swanky things like ceviche, sushi, anticuchos and robatayaki. Then you’ll get to eat them, and get drinks, AND GET THE RECIPES! #FoodForDays
- Monday, September 29 – Graffiato is having an “Oktoberfest Beer and Spirits Dinner with Devil’s Backbone and Catoctin Creek”. It’s a four course dinner, you get a beer and a spirit with each course. You can’t lose.
- Monday, September 29 – G by Mike Isabella is hosting a wine class with wine experts. Monday is a U.S. vs. France wine class.
- Tuesday, September 30 – This is the same thing as above except it’s Italy vs. Greece. Holla.
- Tuesday, September 30 – Graffiato is having an “Oktoberfest Beer and Spirits Dinner with Devil’s Backbone and Catoctin Creek”. It’s a four course dinner, you get a beer and a spirit with each course. You can’t lose.
Everything else that’s fit to eat (and drink):
- The Mighty Pint is closed so they can revamp themselves, but they’ll open next month. (Eater)
- For our Jewish readers, it’s Rosh Hashanah. DCist tells you where you should go. (DCist)
- Mari Vanna is opening an unlimited caviar bar on Thursday and it’s actually not that expensive. (WCP)
- DC Bartenders create a reverse coaster to prevent date rape. (WCP)
- True Food Kitchen, a healthy restaurant, just opened at the Mosaic District in Merrifield. (Washingtonian)