All the DC news that’s fit to eat (and drink).
This week in BYT Food:
- Were you at Snallygaster? Here are you general photos and Here are your photo booth pics. If not, what were you doing?
- Comedy wizard and all-around A+ person Tig Notaro has created a flavor of Shake Shack custard specifically for Bentzen Ball. You can get it for free with proof that you have a Bentzen Ball ticket from October 1-5.
- Our Happy Hour Hotline this week features happy hours in the bars featured in our LEAST DOUCHEY BARS IN DC list. And they said dreams don’t come true.
- We tasted Rosa Mexicana’s Mexican Independence Day menu and found it thoroughly delicious. Luckily for you, it’s available until October 12. We also celebrated Mexican Independence Day at Oyamel. We love Mexican Independence Day.
- Del Frisco’s new DoubleEagle Steakhouse is the biggest thing in the world.
- We asked Mike Friedman (head chef at Red Hen) what was in in his fridge. He showed us what was in his fridge. He also showed us his baby.
- Famous chef Daniel Boulud has graced DC with his new restaurant, DBGB. We sat down with his and asked him what his perfect meal at the restaurant would be. Answers right this way.
- Johnny Pistolas has $1 happy hour tacos. A happy hour, indeed.
- And finally, POV lounge at the W just got relaunched. We have photos and it is GORGEOUS up there.
Upcoming Food Events:
- Wednesday, September 17 – Legal Seafoods’ Oyster Festival starts today and lasts until October 14.
- Saturday, September 20– DC VegFest will take over Yards Park and there will be more vegetables than you have ever seen in your life.
- Saturday, September 20- In an ironic (yet magical?) case of conflicting plans, Capitol Bacon Fest will also take place on Saturday.
- Saturday, September 20 – If you are neither pure carnivore nor pure herbivore, H Street Festival will offer plenty for omnivores. Complete with a marinara dunk tank, it seems.
- Saturday, September 20 – Or skip food entirely and go straight for the drinks. Heurich House is celebrating Oktoberfest. There’s a prize for best lederhosen.
- Saturday, September 20 – Though it’s borderline impossible that you still have nothing to do on Saturday, the Food for Thought Festival will take place at Piscataway Park in Accokeek, MD. Wear your giant corn costume.
- Saturday, September 20 – September 20: The day that will go down in Food News history as the most possible plans in one day. The DC State Fair is also happening today.
- Sunday, September 21 – The Festicle: Midget wrestling, live music and cook-offs. Whatever.
- Futher ahead: both HRC’s CHEFS FOR EQUALITY and CAPITAL FOOD FIGHT tickets are on sale. Great events, great causes.
Everything else that’s fit to eat (and drink):
- Do you love sports? That’s great. Go watch them at these bars. (via Eater)
- YELP Rants – now protected by the Congress (via In The Capital)
- like &Pizza? You’re in luck – it seems like they’re opening new locations EVERYWHERE (via DCist)
- Room 11 debuts the taco choco. ALL HAIL THE TACO CHOCO (via Eater)
- Celebrities, they’re just like us – they OVER instagram their food too (via Buzzfeed)
- Chuy’s opened in Fairfax and Tex-Mex fans rejoiced. (via Washingtonian)