All the DC news that’s fit to eat (and drink).
This week in BYT Food:
- IT’S BEER WEEK. Have you gone to anything yet? There’s no excuse not to.
- We tried Oyamel dinner and we’re more than a little bit jazzed about it.
- We also went to Kapnos for dinner and also jazzed about it. We like food jazz.
- Go get some brunch at one of the brunch places we already told you to try.
- Prime summer produce time is running low, so this is how to eat it right while you can.
- DC Oysterfest is in two weeks. If you can’t wait, we have an awesome preview to whet your appetite.
Upcoming Food Events:
- Thursday 8/21 – Right Proper is hosting brewers Nathan Zeender and Michael Tonsmeire for a talk about beers.
- Friday 8/22 – Old Ebbit Grill is hosting its second annual Brewhaha. One ticket gets you unlimited (!) amounts of local beer, and local food.
- Saturday 8/23 – You can get Mad Fox’s award winning beer at the Nationals game. It’s available in sections 119, 138, and 225.
- Saturday 8/23 – If you prefer wine to beer, Rockville Town Square is hosting Uncorked Wine and Music Festival.
- Saturday 8/23 – The Embassy of Barbados is hosting a Taste of Barbados. There will be rum, authentic Barbadian food, and music.
- Sunday 8/24 – Conclude Beer Week with brunch at Boundary Road. They are serving beers from Richmond’s Hardywood Park Craft Brewery
- Sunday 8/24 – Sonoma is hosting their fourth annual Crab Fest. You can get all you can eat crab and two sides for $40.
- Sunday 8/24 – Vinoteca is hosting a charity animal rescue fundraiser called ‘Dogs + ‘Tails kicking off this Sunday, August 24 to raise money for DC-based City Dogs Rescue. They are selling housemade hot dogs and a special “Dogs Tail Punch” on their back Plaza for a week (from 8/24-8/31), donating $1 from each order to help homeless dogs find loving homes. Kicking off the week-long promotion is a Neighborhood BBQ on Sunday Aug. 24th, where they’ll have the hot dogs and punch for sale on both front and back patios, a charity bocce tournament hosted by DC Bocce, and adorable dogs up for adoption for animal lovers
- Sunday, 8/24 – Sign up for Alexandria Food Swap, a homemade food sharing event for the DMV’s most dedicated food crafters. Get on the list via EventBrite, then bring samples of your home-prepared goods to the event and take home a few samples from other cooks and crafters in the area.
- Friday, 8/29 – RareSweets and La Colombe are teaming up again for another affogato tasting. Affogatos will be available for $3 apiece between 1:00 pm and 4:00 pm (or until they run out — which they probably will).
Everything else that’s fit to eat (and drink):
- Marion Barry stopped by Republic and sang some blues. There is a video.
- CityZen chef Eric Ziebold is planning to open his own restaurant near Mount Vernon.
- Jennifer Nguyen is leaving Zenten.
- EaterDC has a rundown of the most anticipated restaurant openings this fall.
- Mr. Smith’s in Georgetown is not closing. It is going to move to the space that Chadwicks occupies. Chadwicks is closing though.
- Top Chef starts in less than two months. And George Pagonis of Kapnos will be competing.
- Learn how to eat like a pirate from this National Geographic Article. Being a pirate requires drinking a lot of beer.
- National Geographic is doing an eight month food special that includes a ton of interesting articles, such as a look at gourmet field rations.
- Cambridge University needs someone to study chocolate.
- There is a new start up in DC that will deliver fresh-made lunches to you in under 20 minutes for under $10.