All the DC news that’s fit to eat (and drink).
Happy lunchtime, DC! This week’s batch of food news items features a host of special chef dinners, pop-ups, chef swaps and more. Don’t forget that Restaurant Week begins this coming Monday — better get those reservations in, stat! If you just can’t wait until Monday to chomp down on something delicious, we’ve put together a roundup of the week’s best bets when it comes to drinking, dining, and snacking. Dig in!
This week in BYT Food:
- Sauf Haus Bier Hall is now open in Dupont Circle. Oktoberfest came early this year.
- We tried the menu at Chaplin. Dumpling cocktails are a thing now. Don’t fight it. Just let it happen.
- The Oval Room reopened Monday after a $1 million renovation. Here’s what the new digs look like.
- Did you miss National Ice Cream Sandwich Day on the 31st? Have a late celebration with some of DC’s best frosty sandwichy offerings.
- Apparently, July 31 was also International Beer Day. We celebrate that as well with a trip to Piazza Beer Garden.
- Lupo Verde’s been killing it lately. Try their fabulous Ramona cocktail, made fresh watermelon and blueberries, blanco tequila, liqueur, and a splash of lemon.
- Newly re-opened Bardo Brewpub is debuting its first brews, and in honor of the event (and the brewpub’s 20th anniversary) they’re offering $3.45 pints and $9.91 pitchers for a limited time. Sweet.
- Restaurant Week is right around the corner. Newcomers this time around include Menu/MBK, Rural Society, Joe’s Seafood, and I-Thai.
- Mark your calendars now: starting on August 24 and lasting until the 31st, Vinoteca is hosting its second “‘Dogs and ‘Tails” hot dogs and cocktails event benefiting City Dogs Rescue.
- Starting now and lasting through August, Joe’s Seafood will donate one dollar from every slice of “mostly raspberry pie” sold to Martha’s Table. Any excuse to order pie.
Upcoming Food Events:
- Wednesday 8/6: Capitol City Brewing Company celebrates National Root Beer Float Day with $5 floats all day, made with homemade root beer and rich vanilla ice cream. (Or you can get a “grown up” version with Porter, Jägermeister, Stoli Vanilla, Kahlua, or Crown Royal.)
- Wednesday 8/6: Learn how to prepare Cuban food and drinks at home with Cuba Libre’s rub, mojito, and ceviche class. Tickets are $59.
- Thursday 8/7: We The Eaters are taking over Cedar for the evening to host a sustainable seafood feast. Tickets for the three course dinner are $85.
- Thursday 8/7: Love Big Buns? The burger restaurant is teaming up with DC Brau for a five-course dinner featuring upscale burger bar grub. Tickets are $42 apiece.
- Friday 8/8: It’s that time again — this month’s Truckeroo will be at the Bullpen all day on Friday. Vendors this time around include Captain Cookie, BBQ Bus, Captain Cookie, and dozens more.
- Friday 8/8: Mason Dixie Biscuit Co. is hosting another pop-up beginning Friday, this one at Roofer’s Union. The group sold out within 2 hours at Dolcezza last weekend.
- Saturday 8/9: If you can get yourself out to Orange, VA this weekend, Edible Fest begins on Saturday. Tickets are $7. There’s bound to be loads of free samples.
- Sunday 8/10: Toki Underground’s Erik Bruner-Yang steps out of his own kitchen for the evening to cook a guest chef stint at Boundary Road.
Everything else that’s fit to eat (and drink):
- Are bugs the next thing? Bugs might be the next thing, according to the New York Times.
- Restaurants are starting to get sassy when it comes to Yelp reviews.
- Behold: eight of the most unhealthy restaurant meals you can possibly order. Gaze upon them in awe. Feel only a little bad about yourself for thinking they look delicious.
- What did the average dinner party look like 20 years ago? Saveur investigates deep into the annals of the past.
- Serious Eats has taken one for the team and tried every Pop Tarts flavor on the market. Here’s the definitive ranking.
- Learn all about making weed-infused craft cocktails, thanks to Vice.
- Do you love hamburgers? How about several tiny hamburgers instead of one large hamburger? Zagat tells us where to get D.C.’s best sliders.
- This just in: poison is good for you! You should eat some right now! (Note: don’t actually eat poison.)