All the DC news that’s fit to eat (and drink).
Have tips? Send them to [email protected].
Happy lunchtime, DC! There’s lots to eat and drink this weekend, and as we head into August we’re looking at more food-centric week long celebrations, like Restaurant Week and DC Beer Week. We’re here to help you scour the internet with a fine-toothed comb to know what’s worth eating, and what you should skip. An ambitious eater should be a wise one, too. Dig in!
This week in BYT Food:
- Lukas Smith of Daikaya went to Tales of the Cocktail in New Orleans. Somehow, through a monumental hangover, he managed to tell us what it’s like when a ton of bartenders descend on a city for a week of boozin’.
- National Hot Dog Day was last week, and we celebrated by creating a ton of weird hot dogs as an excuse to eat all of them. No shame.
- Apparently, restaurants with 3-letter abbreviated names are looking for a home in DC. GRK joins their ranks, serving Greek-inspired fare and sporting a yogurt bar, too.
- The DC Scoop was a great time for anyone who likes ice cream, and has strong feelings about standing in line.
- We went to BGR Bash, ate a lot of meat, and took photos for you.
- If there’s one thing we love more than eating at the zoo, it’s drinking at the zoo. Brew at the Zoo helped us accomplish that, and also helped us learn about armadillos.
- Donut Diary returns with visits to Hole in One and Fleming’s Donut Shack.
- Lupo Verde’s serving brunch now? Keep this one quiet or you’ll really never get a table.
- Chef Jess Delivery Meals is a startup you should start noticing. That’s why we wrote about it in an identically-named column.
- We ate a lot at Thai Village, so we had trouble capturing it all for you. We did our darndest.
- Roofer’s Union hosted a beer dinner with 3 Stars Brewing, and we now understand what heaven tastes like.
- Try something new this weekend. By which we mean, apply your brunch habit to a new place.
- And last but never least, Happy Hour Hotline exists solely to tell you where to drink for cheap.
- Eater is killing the infographics game this month.
Upcoming Food Events:
- Wednesday 7/30 (tonight): Chefs Behind Bars hits Union Market for another round of miracles and mistakes as some of DC’s favorite chefs compete with creative cocktails that all benefit No Kid Hungry. Getting your drank on, on a Wednesday afternoon is perfectly acceptable if it’s for charity.
- Friday 8/1: Anju, a monthly dining event at Mandu revolving around the guest chef concept, returns to the Korean restaurant’s K Street location. This month, the lineup features Executive Chef Katsuya Fukushima and Beverage Director Lukas Smith of Daikaya, which means innovative food and drink on the menu. Seating is first come first served.
- Saturday 8/2: Appetite Festival graces Strathmore on Friday and Saturday. Featuring a few celebrity chefs like Giada De Laurentiis and Andrew Zimmern, the event boasts a plethora of local culinary talent and well-known names, food trucks, and lots of music.
- Sunday 8/3: Mason Dixie Biscuit Co., DC’s first biscuit shop (and favorite kickstarter) pops up at the Dolcezza Gelato Factory on Saturday and Sunday, serving a full menu of Breakfast Biscuits with Benton’s Bacon, Fried Chicken Biscuit Sandwiches, platters, and even a collaborative biscuit gelato sandwich/sundae option made with Dolcezza’s sweet corn gelato. They’re serving until they run out of food.
- Monday 8/4: The James Beard Foundation’s Celebrity Chef Tour stops at the Source and makes us hyper-aware of the number of celebrity chefs we have in our city– or, at the very least, how much potential there is. To eat it all up, be sure to get a ticket before the dinner sells out.
- Tuesday 8/5: Dino’s Grotto hosts a Small Vineyards Wine Dinner, which means that through the five-course meal, diners will be introduced to a wine from a different family-owned vineyard to pair with each course served by the family-owned restaurant. This is the very definition of a sustainable collaboration.
Everything else that’s fit to eat (and drink):
- You don’t know about Clover Food Labs? You should. They’re coming to DC eventually, and they are going to become your vegetarian haven (and an example for all others).
- Plastic food and drink containers, the kind that you get from carryout spots, may soon be banned in the district. What are we going to do with all our leftovers?
- In more “We’re Doomed!” headlines, farming bluefin tuna might have been the wrong move.
- An old approach would solve an old problem DC has when dining out: it’s quality, not quantity.
- Headed to the farmer’s market this week(end)? Here’s what to look for.
- Why do we reject “ugly” produce at the market? Beauty standards for food are a strange, strange thing.
- China is the world’s biggest beer market. We should be declaring a state of emergency right now.
- Tomato juice tastes better on airplanes. Why?
- Thrillist has decided on the district’s 15 signature dishes. To the comment section, y’all.