All the DC news that’s fit to eat (and drink).
Have tips? Send them to [email protected].
Happy lunchtime, DC! Tonight we embark on an extended weekend full of summer’s best food festivities: Best of Washington, Brew at the Zoo, DC Scoop, and others, too. Breweries are throwing their own seasonal celebrations left and right. It’s almost as if they don’t want you to make it to the beach this summer…
This week in BYT food:
- PAUL held a Bastille Day Baguette relay race. We couldn’t make this shit up if we wanted to.
- This week’s BeerYT explores the world of camping with canned beer, and DC Brau proves there is such a thing as good canned beer.
- Copperwood Tonic has got your weekend cocktail. Commence a moonshine cocktail trend in 3, 2…
- Chaplin Bar and Restaurant opens with drool-worthy food, which means we’ve got the drool-worthy photos.
- We celebrate shitty macaroni and cheese by making it pretentious— small plates style.
Upcoming food events:
- At the top of the docket is the Best of Washington party tonight at the National Building Museum. Somehow there are tickets left, but it shouldn’t stay that way for much longer.
- Because we’re already missing Zoofari, we’re pretty excited for Brew at the Zoo tomorrow night. Basically Zoofari with 100% more beer and therefore 100% more hilarity.
- Looking for something a bit more intimate? You can head to Taberna del Alabardero for a Moroccan-Spanish Fusion Wine Dinner while there are still seats available.
- Okay, so you want intimate but still beer-centric? Belga Cafe hosts a five course “Brouwerij van Steenberge” beer dinner to round out your boozy Thursday night options.
- Del Campo at Dusk takes place on Friday night, promising a rooftop celebration complete with an East-meets-West raw bar and pisco cocktails.
- Want to ace French cooking? Who better to learn from than2-Star Michelin Chef Gérard Pangaud at the Hill Center on Saturday?
- A block of Georgetown is transformed into a Thai Village with the help of the Royal Thai Embassy, this Saturday afternoon.
- The DC Scoop returns to Union Market on Saturday. If you feel strongly about your local frozen treats, you should probably go and vote/eat as an excuse to vote.
- Also on Saturday is the National Beer Expo. This may actually be worth the drive to Richmond.
- As if Saturday wasn’t full enough, 3 Stars Brewing throws their hat into the ring with their Artists and Artisans Summer Jam. Local brews, booze and band? We’re in.
- To close out the day, the 2014 DC Burger Bash boasts some of our favorite restaurants and bars grillin’ up some good stuff.
- Haven’t had enough grilling? Head to Union Market on Sunday for the Brainfood Burger Battle to support local food entrepreneurship and your stomach.
- On Monday, Bibana hosts a Wine Maker’s Dinner. Three courses, three sommeliers.
Everything else that’s fit to eat (and drink):
- What should you do with your stone fruit pits? You actually have quite a few options.
- Urban farming and gardening are great hobbies, but you should be hip to these health concerns before you begin.
- What you eat can affect your mood. But we already figured that out after we ate through the other side of this bag of Pirate’s Booty.
- Loudon County is becoming overrun by craft breweries. File under: good news.
- More breaking beer news: DC Breweries can now serve you pints. Happy Wednedsay, y’all!
- Izakaya Seki’s co-owner spent a week at a 2 Michelin Star restaurant kitchen in Japan. Just when you didn’t think it could get any better, right?