All the DC news that’s fit to eat (and drink).
Have tips? Send them to [email protected].
Happy almost lunchtime, DC! How are we doing on those clean eating resolutions we made back in January? Yeah, that’s what we thought. You can abandon that paleo diet for the next few months. It’s National Ice Cream Month, National Tequila Month, and GWARBar is opening in Richmond. Your diet doesn’t stand a chance. Dig in!
This week in BYT food:
- Our interns slaved away over marble counter-tops to bring you this year’s Ice Cream Guide. Do yourself a favor and read it.
- It’s National Tequila Month– why would you spend it anywhere other than El Centro?
- Patrick Bertoletti survived a Nathan’s hot dog eating contest so he could tell us all about it.
- Zengo’s new vegetarian menu is good enough for carnivores. If that’s not a ringing endorsement, I don’t know what is.
- Happy Hour Hotline has all your Bastille Day drinking needs. There’s some food in there to be sure, but mostly just booze.
- Degrees now offers bottomless brunch. It’s only a matter of time before every place offers bottomless brunch.
- The World Cup final is SUNAY. Most of the places that are showing the game are pretty German or German-centric. Beer-centric, if you will.
- We previewed New Belgium’s Sweet & Sour to get you stoked. Why wouldn’t you be stoked about a new beer?
Upcoming food events:
- 3 Stars Brewing and Executive Chef Katsuya Fukushima joined forces and created a beer that pairs with everything in the ramen shop and izakaya. Tonight, the first keg is tapped.
- Tiki Thursdays return to Jack Rose tonight! Respectable tropical beverages and plenty of meat on a stick– it’s basically what dreams are made of.
- Tomorrow, Truckeroo graces Navy Yard with a barrage of ingenious food on wheels. Summer is not summer without Truckeroo.
- Also tomorrow, Anju night at Mandu returns for round two with food from Kyle Bailey, Tiffany MacIsaac and Doug Atwell.
- Kick off your Saturday morning with the American Beer Classic at RFK Stadium. Ten times more promising than brunch.
- After that, head to Hill Center for a historic baking class with Amanda Moniz. These recipes are legit, because these recipes have faced the test of time.
- This Sunday, Slowfoods and Dolcezza Gelato team up with Tree and Leaf Farm to talk local farm foods and demo some farm fresh gelato.
- August seems like an eternity away, but on the 4th, the Celebrity Chef Tour is hitting Wolfgang Puck’s The Source, and tickets are on sale now.
Everything else that’s fit to eat (and drink):
- We could all use some frugal cooking tips. Luckily Food52 had Leanne Brown share a few.
- You’re probably eating wood pulp. What is wood pulp? Is wood pulp a carb?
- 10 companies occupy the majority of the shelf space in your local super market. You should be worried.
- The future of food, according to Alice Walters, is local and sustainable. Bad news for those 10 companies, right?
- Homegrown food is gonna look really weird in 2050.
- A kimchi taste test? A kimchi taste test.
- Want to order steak without going to a steakhouse? Eater has a map for that.
- GWARbar is opening in Richmond. God bless GWAR, and god bless America.