All the DC news that’s fit to eat (and drink).
Have tips? Send them to [email protected].
Happy lunchtime, DC! The 4th is upon us. Almost. We’re running content all week that will make your holiday plans easier. If you weren’t smart enough to get the heck out of the city for the weekend, you have lots of options, but one crucial choice: hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. With that said, we’re gonna tell you where the snacks are at. Dig in.
This week in BYT food:
- It’s hot. It’s gross. It’s just plain swampy. Let our Ice Cream Guide help you navigate the city’s frozen treats.
- You can have the best July ever if you eat the right things. Even more navigating, but including other food groups.
- We went to VinoFest and got white girl wasted, because that’s what happens at wine festivals. Duh.
- Soupergirl has upgraded from truck to brick and mortar! New digs, and more than just soup.
- The 4th is almost upon us. It’s a good excuse to drink. Specifically, to drink ‘murrican drinks. There’s a happy hour hotline for that.
- Do you remember any of Chouffe Fest? No? Good thing we took all these photos.
Upcoming Food Events 4th of July Eats:
- Start your day by hitting up holiday brunch at all of the Richard Sandoval restaurants (Zengo, Masa 14, El Centro, Ambar).
- The Smithsonian Folklife Festival is still going strong. And yes, food is a big big big part of folk life. Don’t get it twisted.
- On Friday, catch fireworks, barbecue and more at the first ever Takoma Park Freedom Festival.
- 1905 hosts a rooftop barbecue with hella sides for the second time.
- At Teddy and the Bully Bar, oysters are $1 all. day. long, and happy hour goes til 8pm.
- Lincoln has unlimited punch and half-smokes all day for one fixed price.
- DNV has boozy popsicles and a no-covercharge party, and it’s a roof, duh. Always a bonus.
Everything else that’s fit to eat (and drink):
- Apparently, Travel Channel can take your show away because of an instagram rant.
- Want to “eat clean?” Eat gluten free. Also, please shut up about it already.
- If you’re like me and have a stupid food allergy, someone might fix that for you soon. Soon-ish.
- We waste $162 billion on food every year because we don’t understand “use by” and “best by” dates. USA! USA!
- Bon Appetit’s 4th of July guide has everything you need to prepare a feast that would make George Washington jealous he didn’t get an invite.
- Are you a vegetarian? Food52 has a cookout guide for you, too.
- Do you care about cooking seasonally and understanding what that really means? Here’s what to cook in July.
- This beautifully done, interactive map of DC CSA’s is gonna make you the best locavore in town. Just don’t be obnoxious about it.