All the DC news that’s fit to eat (and drink).
Have tips? Send them to [email protected].
Happy Lunchtime, DC! It’s finally oppressively hot outside, which means ’tis the season to hit up beer dinners, crawfish boils, farm to table events, food tours, and anything that entails a patio. All hail the patio. And your best pair of eating pants. Dig in.
This week in BYT food:
- A few big items to bring to your attention first: IT’S HOT. We have guides to farmers markets and outdoor drinking, because isn’t that all that really matters right now?
- You have until COB TODAY to enter our Donut Giveaway and win a box of donuts from FIVE different spots in the city.
- We’ve got even more top picks to make this June your best one yet. Go forth and eat it all.
- We’ve started giving you things on a quarterly basis with, you guessed it, Quarterly. Don’t we all love presents?
- Snallygaster is back, and we’re a partner this year! We really care about your relationship with beer.
- Jack Rose has a new chef, and the new menu is just as good as it looks (and it looks really good).
- Want to go abroad without leaving DC? At the very least, you can give your mouth a treat by visiting Soi 38.
- Mockingbird Hill has a guest behind the bar: Cory Andreen, bringing coffee wisdom and “cocktails” to the sherry joint.
- We went to the Taiwanese state banquet. More surprising than the decadent levels of food were the shots on offer.
- A first look at Lyman’s Tavern involved no drunken piano playing and lots of pinball.
- As always, we tell you what’s up in cheap drinking with our happy hour hotline.
- It’s almost the weekend. Explore new brunch frontiers with us.
Upcoming food events:
- Tonight, Junetoberfest starts at Flying Dog Brewery. Burgers and beers sound like a pretty great Thursday night to us.
- DC FOOD TRUCK WEEK starts tomorrow.
- On Friday, Dinner Lab hosts a slow supper with Brooklyn Brewery at a secret location.
- National Donut Day may be Friday, but the DC Donut Crawl is on Saturday the 7th.
- Also on Saturday, Sherry Week kicks off in DC and Mockingbird Hill hosts the Sherry 101 class you so desperately need.
- Taste of Peru returns to DC for a second year of decadence (and music!)
- And on Sunday, supper vibes continue with the first Sunday Supper at Union Market, which boasts a pretty impressive roster of chefs.
- Earlier that day, the Good Food Marketplace (coordinated by Good Food Awards and including past winners) hits Union Market.
- Even earlier than that, Dino’s Grotto starts brunch service and offers free food to Shaw residents with proof of address.
- Tico opens for dinner service on Sunday evening. We’ll be sure to tell you about it later!
- Arcuri hosts a Boulevard Beer Dinner on Monday night with five pairing courses.
- José Andrés’ culinary food tour of Penn Quarter takes place on Tuesday night, dine-and-dash style through ten restaurants and bars.
- On Thursday, the Petworth Food Truck Supper Club promises to be the best part of food truck week.
- The St. Nicholas Greek Folk Festival starts thursday and runs through the weekend in Baltimore. Yes, we’ll head to Baltimore for Greek food.
Everything else that’s fit to eat (and drink):
- Why aren’t you putting butter in your coffee?
- The Washington Post taste-tested the best chocolate hazelnut spreads in the area and tells you where to find them.
- Don’t toss your strawberry tops! There are actually a ton of ways to use them.
- Are you ready for the World Cup… of Sausages?
- Eater’s got a pretty good handle on the most anticipated summer restaurant openings.
- We are the internet generation. We argue about bagels in the comments section.
- No, you didn’t eat that.
- We can all agree that ramps are one of the most deserving food trends. Apparently, some food trends come from West Virginia.
- Farm-to-table cocktails: what they are, and why you should be making them.
- 3D-printed food exists, and it’s looking more and more beautiful every day.
- The price of milk and cereal has gone down, meaning lower grocery bills for the world.