All the DC news that’s fit to eat (and drink).
Have tips? Send them to [email protected].
Happy National Pizza Week, DC! We’ve got pizza-related content, non-pizza related openings and menus, plenty of Valentine’s Day prep (yes, already, we know it’s absurd). Let’s keep this short and sweet– you should be eating pizza right now.
This week in BYT food:
- New year, new restaurants: let’s get excited about this year’s most anticipated openings.
- DC Restaurant Week begins in just five days and runs from January 13 to 19. We’ve got you covered with our cohesive preview and pro tips.
- It’s Pizza Week! But you already knew that. Team BYT gives you the run down on our favorite pizza spots in DC.
- If you’d rather stay home and internet, we’ve got something set up especially for you: our Frozen Pizza Guide.
- Let’s continue to indulge in empty calories, shall we? We got a first look of Ivy and Coney, a hot dogs and beer addition to Shaw.
Upcoming food events:
- Tonight is Tuscarora’s 6-course bacon & beer dinner— that includes bacon dessert.
- Tomorrow brings even more bacon as DC Brau hosts a 5 course burger and beer dinner. Nice try, New Year’s resolutions.
- Also starting tomorrow is Toki Underground’s pop-up at Artifact Coffee, Tokifact. Woodberry Kitchen pours drinks to pair with the limited menu running January 9 through 11 and 16 through 18.
- On Saturday, Art & Soul presents a Pacific Northwest Beer Dinner featuring Oregon breweries and a menu by Executive Chef Wes Morton.
- This time next week, the district famous Florida Avenue Grill hosts a dinner & book signing with Saru Jayaraman, author of Behind the Kitchen Door. “How does your favorite restaurant treat its workers?”
- Also next Wednesday is a mixology 101 course with SweetShine, the latest liquor from Bloomery Plantation Distillery.
- Later next week, get your fancy drink on at Calvery Woodley for the Grand Bordeaux Tasting, featuring 53 varieties to get snobby about.
Everything else that’s fit to eat (and drink):
- HEY DUMMY, make your Restaurant Week reservations.
- La Sandia celebrates tamales through the end of January during their 3rd annual tamale festival, special menu included.
- It’s freezing and plenty of DC’s best bars are boasting hot drinks and fireplaces. Settle in at any of these for a slightly less traumatic happy hour experience.
- Through January, Casa Luca boasts a 4-5-6 happy hour from 4pm to 6pm: $4 beers, $5 wines, and $6 cocktails.
- Fiola enjoys regional Italian menus (Veneto, Toscana, Piemonte) starting January 13, with options for 4-course dinners and wine pairings.
- Guest of a Guest weighs in on DC’s best slices.
- Finally, a punchcard we can get behind: the District Disloyalty Card helps you get free coffee for refusing to choose a regular morning spot.
- Famous chefs share secrets to eating well at restaurants anywhere in the world.
- Bluefin tuna is a million dollar industry— we get it, it’s a big fish, but how’d it go this far?