All the DC news that’s fit to eat (and drink).
Have tips? Send them to [email protected].
Happy lunchtime, DC! How angry is your digestive system after a holiday week full of poor eating decisions? Have you convinced yourself that this is finally going to be the year you eat clean and drink less? Are you still going to peruse our handy-dandy guides and mouthwatering food porn? You know it. Welcome back to the routine of sifting through the hype to find the real gems in DC. If you’re going to fall back on your resolutions, the restaurant of choice had better be worth it. Dig in!
This week on BYT food:
- DC food writers guide you through the best things they ate in 2013, and what you have to look forward to this year.
- You probably still need immediate access to our Hangover Cures Guide. C’mon guys, get it together.
- Sugar Daddy’s Bakery opened on 18th street earlier this week, because who really cares about healthy eating resolutions?
- Bourbon Steak unveils cocktails to celebrate its 5 year anniversary— more or less a greatest hits of its best (and most beautiful) cocktails. And recipes, too!
- We’ve got a first look of Southern Efficiency, a gorgeous whiskey bar from the team behind Eat the Rich and Mockingbird Hill.
- Alba Osteria, sister restaurant to Al Dente, opens on I street to serve up a taste of Piedmont.
Upcoming Food Events:
- Salamander Resort offers a busy schedule of culinary courses (candy making, wild game, pasta) for the month of January, starting tonight.
- On Saturday, Charm City Cakes leads a class on cake figure making with veteran decorator Mary Smith.
- Also on Saturday, Bin 604 offers a wine tasting 101 course to set your tastebuds straight after the weird smattering of spirits you mixed this holiday season.
- Coming up on Tuesday, Wildfire Restaurant offers a Champagne Tasting dinner to keep celebratory spirits strong.
- Tuesday also boasts a sausage making class with Chef Patrick at the Elkridge Furnace Inn.
- This time next week, DC Brau hosts a 5 course burger and beer dinner. Plus lots of bacon. Yes is the only option.
- Later this month, the Boulevard Beer Dinner hits Smoke & Barrel with five generous courses.
Everything else that’s fit to eat (and drink):
- This probably won’t help with any resolutions: the most fatty DC foods of 2013.
- But this definitely will: a look at why gargantuan restaurant portions are killing us.
- Every family cookbook you know and love probably came from one of four books that inspired all the rest.
- DC restaurant experts predict what the top food stories of 2014 will look like. Spoiler alert: same old, same old.
- Always behind, CNN goes “in depth” on the “new” fad of gas station restaurant cuisine. C’mon guys, really.
- NPR talks to Jennifer Ludden about making the study of wine significantly less snobby.
- A new bar called Cru comes to Adams Morgan— because it wasn’t messy enough over there, or something?
- Food allergies in DC and Maryland are on the rise. Why can’t we have any nice things?
- DC Noodles is back. You’re probably missing out on the vastly improved food and more generous portions.