All the DC news that’s fit to eat (and drink).
Have tips? Send them to [email protected].
Happy Lunchtime, DC! It’s a good week(end) for festivals: Oktoberfest, The Armenian Fall Food Festival, Caribbean Festival, and too many more to count. If narrowing down the food you’re celebrating isn’t your thing, there are plenty more options ahead. Dig in!
This week in BYT Food:
- HAPPY SHUTDOWN (or not!)! This week’s Happy Hour Hotline highlights some great drink deals for furloughed feds around the city.
- We visited Urbana for a taste of Italian and Mediterranean cuisine, paired with impressive cocktails.
- Wine Riot was great. We wrote down what we could remember in our recap.
- MasterChef Juniors is a real thing. If you want to see 10 year olds make better macarons than you will in your entire life, this is your chance. If you couldn’t already tell, we’re excited.
- And Poste’s Oysterstock 2013 proved to be summer’s last bastion of food porn. See for yourself.
Upcoming food events:
- The 65th Annual Armenian Fall Food Festival kicks off tonight and runs through Saturday.
- Tomorrow, the Ambassador of Sri Lanka hosts a dinner at his residence, and there’s a ton of great curry on the menu.
- Also tomorrow, the Liberty Tree hosts a five course beer dinner with 3 Stars Brewing Company.
- From Friday though Sunday, you can visit the Fall Wine Festival and Sunset Tour at Mount Vernon.
- Friday through Sunday, Bar Dupont celebrates Oktoberfest with beer, food, and bands.
- Friday also boasts the last Truckeroo of the season— fitting for this weird weather.
- On Saturday, Rockville hosts the Caribbean Festival with plenty of food, music, and dancing.
- Germantown Oktoberfest also takes place on Saturday, complete with biergarten.
- Saturday is also the 7th Annual Columbia Heights Day, featuring Food Truck Row to facilitate sampling your favorites.
- Taste of Bethesda gives you yet another culinary option for Saturday, with 60 restaurants and five stages.
- And of course, District Flea continues its run this Saturday as well.
- End the weekend with a Piemonte Harvest Dinner at Al Dente— limited seating, so reservations are required.
- On Monday, Taste of the Nation comes to Maryland, featuring 25 of Baltimore’s best chefs.
Everything else that’s fit to eat (and drink):
- BGR is offering up a lot of new menu items for fall, some even benefitting breast cancer research, but they’re also hosting a burger eating competition at Taste of DC next week.
- Tosca celebrates white truffle season with new menu additions: Risotto ai Tartufi Bianchi and Taglierini ai Tartufi Bianchi.
- This month, Granville Moore’s will be seeing a larger dining room (from 34 to 100 seats) and a new menu.
- Harvard is now offering an online course on cooking science with an impressive lineup of chefs, so hurry and sign up.
- Condé Nast Traveler released a guide to the 20 best new bars around the world— and we’re missing. Time to step our game up.
- Eater weighs in on DC food trucks and selects their top 8.
- Chupacabra gets a new patio and now serves beer!
- If you’re like me, you’d rather hit an ethnic dive spot instead of sampling a restaurant week menu. There’s a great discussion about these hidden jewels on Chowhound right now.
- WSJ explores the antithesis of energy drinks: relaxation drinks. Just in time for that post-lunch food coma, too.
- Bad restaurant food photography can be simultaneously amusing and horrifying, and Black Book delves deeper into the faded, yellowing menu photos.
- A 103-year-old New Yorker finds therapy by taking himself out for dinner every night.