All the DC news that’s fit to eat (and drink).
Have tips? Send them to [email protected].
Happy Lunchtime, DC! We’ve got a great weekend ahead with fresh fall produce, wine festivals and pig roasts to keep you in the summer spirit, and as always, the latest on all the crucial district restaurant openings. Dig in!
This week in BYT food:
- We interviewed Cory Andreen, the 2012 World Cup Taster’s Champion, on all the right ways to know and brew coffee.
- We also got a first look of Jack Rose’s Whiskey Cellar, confirming what we’ve always known: it’s amazing.
- Even with beer goggles, you all looked great at the DC Beer Festival this past weekend at Nationals Park.
- To celebrate/bemoan the start of the academic year, this week’s Happy Hour Hotline is the College Edition!
Upcoming food events:
- Tonight, Ris hosts a “Meet the Distillers” craft spirits tasting with vodkas, whiskeys, moonshine and more.
- Mexican Independence Day is almost here, and Casa Oaxaca is celebrating with week-long specials, September 12-21.
- Want to learn more about brewing coffee? Counter Culture hosts part two and three of their Brewing Science course tomorrow.
- “An Evening at the Embassy of Estonia” is also tomorrow night, featuring traditional Estonian fare and entertainment.
- Turkish Restaurant Week begins on Friday, so make those reservations.
- Also on Friday, head to Portner Brewhouse for a Pig-nic full of meat and homebrew (and a vegetarian ticket option).
- The last of Hill Country Barbecue’s Backyard BBQ events at the National Building Museum are this weekend, beginning Thursday.
- District Flea returns this Saturday, and it goes far beyond clothes and art to some amazing food booths.
- Also on Saturday, Black Jack hosts a scotch and oyster tasting, proving you can have the best of both worlds.
- This weekend is the 38th Annual Virginia Wine Festival, with over 50 wines, and seminars on pairing and tasting.
- Chef Garret Fleming’s Gristle holds pop-up dinners September 15, 16 and 17 ahead of the official opening.
- On Tuesday, Vinoteca hosts an Oktoberfest preview with a selection of choice beers to celebrate this fall.
- Matchbox is the location of the next Brooklyn Brewery Mash on Wednesday, and holds a host of DC events all week.
Everything else that’s fit to eat (and drink):
- The district now has its very own wine subscription club, Vinolovers.
- The building formerly known as Ray’s Hellburger will soon house the newest Ben’s Chili Bowl location.
- Dolcezza will be moving its factory operations to the basement of Union Market, and its original Georgetown location will eventually close.
- Are we proud or ashamed? The first ever online purchase was a pizza. Seriously.
- The battle over the ethics of tipping rages on, over the internet, where it really doesn’t matter at all.
- Football season might as well be called snack season, so here are 30 snack recipes to make hosting game night a little easier.