All the DC news that’s fit to eat (and drink).
Have tips? Send them to [email protected].
Happy Lunchtime, DC! Have you had time to explore the plethora of 14th street openings? Or catch a ride on the Roadie to Union Market? There’s an overwhelming amount of new food to enjoy in the district, and we’re here to make sure you know about every single option. We’re trusting you to create your own food magic over a very quiet Labor Day weekend, but when you get back, there are a ton of delicious events and celebrations waiting for you. Dig in!
This week in BYT food:
- Were you at Cookies and Cream this weekend? How bad was your sugar crash? Don’t worry, you looked great in our photo recap. Congrats to our professional best cookie winner, Blind Dog Cafe!
- Rum Day DC hosted a Rum-B-Q, which is exactly what it sounds like. We went to investigate.
- Tonic’s got a new and very improved Tiki Tonic, because summer outdoor drinking is hardly over.
- We looked back on our favorite Ben’s Chili Bowl moments as the U Street staple celebrated 55 years last week.
- Didn’t make it up to New England this summer? Luke’s Lobster introduces Luke’s Maine Market and brings the food and festivities to you.
- Shaw boasts a new neighborhood dining spot, Thally, a modern American eatery with a simple but robust menu.
- Doi Moi, the gorgeous Thai/Vietnamese concept brought to you by the same team behind Proof and Estadio, opened this week— and we caught a first look.
- Georgetown gets its own El Centro, boasting an outdoor bar and patio complete with a fire pit.
- Ovvio Osteria opens in Merrifield, and our taste test found that the decadent dessert menu alone is worth the drive.
Upcoming food events:
- Spirits in Black, the best metal cocktail night around, returns to Black Cat tonight with Jeff Faile of Fiola and Owen Thomson of Range.
- Tomorrow, the Grill Room hosts a Miura Vineyards four course wine dinner.
- This weekend, Bluemont’s Great Country Farms celebrates The Big Dig– a festival of pancakes, potatoes, and tractors.
- The 4th Annual Bake Bethesda a Pie Contest returns to the Bethesda Central Farmer’s Market on Saturday– register in advance.
- Open Kitchen hosts Blue Crab Fest 2013 on Monday, and tomorrow is the last day to RSVP.
- Next Wednesday, Ripple hosts a Farm Dinner Benefiting the American Cancer Society, coinciding with Fit For Hope.
- Beginning next Thursday, La Tasca hosts a series of Paella making classes & dinners throughout the month of September.
- Next Friday, Truckeroo returns to the Half Street Fairgrounds to help you kick off the weekend.
- Also next friday, the Charity in Chocolate Fashion Show, hosted by the Heart of America Foundation, uses edible fashion to promote childhood literacy.
- Gilt City’s DC Beer Fest takes over Nationals Park next weekend.
- Also next weekend: Annapolis celebrates the 46th Annual Maryland Seafood Festival.
Everything else that’s fit to eat (and drink):
- Richmond’s dining scene is flourishing to the surprise of many, and RVA should be on your dining radar.
- Tobacco and menthol flavored vodkas are real. Learn about what they taste like so you never have to find out firsthand.
- Date night is just as important as family dinner– Bon Appetit tells you why.
- A list of the 35 best tacos in America is up, and DC didn’t make the cut. To the comment section!
- Once again, Complex lists the 25 best bars in DC. Even more comment wars!
- Summer is almost over, but there are some choice gin & tonics to discover before the leaves start falling.
- And Thrillist kicks off football season with their 8 best wings in the district.
- Miss out on Restaurant week? Some of your favorites might be extending their offers through Labor Day!