All the DC news that’s fit to eat (and drink).
Have tips? Send them to [email protected].
Summer is having an identity crisis, but fear not: we’ve still got the most comprehensive food news round up in the district. Enjoy some food porn, get ready for DC Beer Week, keep the crayfish boils going, and remember what’s important.
This week in BYT food:
- Don’t forget to grab early bird tickets for super cheap for COOKIES AND CREAM, our ice cream social follow up to donut fest.
- Tanqueray Ambassador Angus Winchester dropped some Gin knowledge on DC, and we’d like to impart that knowledge unto you.
- Would you eat a stem cell burger? We’re here to present you with some (possibly unsettling) facts to help make up your mind.
- While we’re on the subject of booze, Atlas Brew Works is the latest craft beer brewery to open in DC. Get excited with our first look.
- And how could we forget our cheap drinking filled Happy Hour Hotline?
- Cleveland Park food innovation wonderland Ripple turned three. We never want to not be eating there.
- Take a look inside the bright and shiny new Ted’s Bulletin on 14th before it opens this month.
Upcoming food events:
- Ramadan ends tonight at sunset. Looking for a new place to break fast? We’ve got a guide for you.
- Cashion’s Eat Place hosts their last Summer Chill Out Patio Party tonight, from 6 until whenever food runs out.
- Tonight, Sixth Engine gets a head start on DC Beer Week with Great Lakes Brewing Co. and guest chefs from Boundary Road.
- Also tonight, Capital City Brewing turns 21, and celebrates with a tapping party for their birthday brew, Honey 21.
- After work tomorrow, head to Jack Rose’s new rooftop tiki bar for the first Tiki Thursdays Happy Hour, with half-price tropical cocktails and tiki-inspired skewered snacks.
- Also tomorrow, The Daily Dish in Silver Spring debuts Flying Dog’s Belgian Devil.
- Want to stick to beer? Tomorrow, Sixth & I hosts Beer and Berries: A Seasonal Tasting with the Beer Activist Chris O’Brien.
- Friday is the 3rd Annual Cask Night at The District ChopHouse. RSVP via email.
- Sunday is Hop Chef: the opening ceremonies and kickoff party to the 5th Annual DC Beer Week at Long View Gallery.
- On Monday, Kramerbooks and Afterwords Cafe celebrate DMV beer with a tasting of local brews.
- Also on Monday, DC Beer Week celebrates DC talent with DC Heritage Night at the Howard Theater. Beer, bands, and complimentary whiskey.
- Farmers Fishers Bakers hosts the Inaugural Local Beer Debate and Dinner on Tuesday night.
- This time next week, celebrate DC Beer Week by head to Zaytinya for a beer pairing dinner with Brooklyn Brewery. RSVP by phone or email.
- Also next Wednesday, DC Brau revives the DC Beer Week Crab Fest at the Quarterdeck for round two. All-you-can-eat crabs and discount DC Brau pitchers included.
- Next Friday, IKEA of all places hosts a Swedish crayfish celebration (kräftskiva), and it’s only $12.99. We’re not sure what to expect, but it’s probably the cheapest crayfish boil you’ll find this summer.
- Looking way ahead to August 24th, Black’s Bar and Kitchen hosts “Hot Summer, Cold Oysters” with all-you-can-eat raw oysters from Rappahannock, whole-roasted pig from Brad Parker, and plenty of Flying Dog to go around.
- This September (Sunday the 8th), the Red Hen will host RdV Vineyard’s Guest Chef Dinner Series. RSVP via email.
- Also next month, the Source’s Executive Chef Scott Drewno will host two Asian-themed cooking classes, with proceeds benefitting the American Cancer Society. Call or RSVP via email.
Everything else that’s fit to eat (and drink):
- The FDA finally defines the vague and often frustrating term “gluten-free.” Manufacturers and restaurants have a year to comply with new labeling procedures.
- David Lynch brings you tomato and wine pairings, because he knows exactly what he’s talking about.
- Looking for an engaging read on cobbler and American fruit desserts? Complete with recipes? Enjoy.
- Possibly the greatest EaterMap to ever exist: Where to find breakfast tacos in the district.
- Astro Doughnuts has debuted two ice cream doughnut sandwiches this week: “a raspberry verbena ice-cream and passion fruit doughnut sandwich AND a Brooklyn Roasters…mocha java ice cream and chocolate doughnut sandwich.”
- Sonoma Restaurant is offering a 50% off deal for select event packages and hosting their first 4 day Oyster Festival with War Shore Oyster Company.
- R29 gives you the rundown on where to find DC craft brews.
- Climate change is shifting wine regions. Where will your next pinot come from?
- The temperature is too damn high. Cool off with the best watermelon dishes and drinks DC has to offer.
- Looking to entertain this month? Here’s a super easy August menu that looks a lot harder than it really is.
- Taco Bell’s Waffle Taco is increasing their testing exposure. This could be great, or terrible, or some strange combination of the two.
- And in case you’re living under a rock, last week Mike Isabella announced his departure from Bandolero, with the intention to focus on other ventures.