All the DC news that’s fit to eat (and drink).
Have tips? Send them to [email protected].
July is almost over, but the time for over-indulgent eating ever ends. It’s still National Ice Cream Month, American Beer Month, and it’s Eat Local First Week here in the district. Take this time to bring your love for quality cuisine to new heights.
This week in BYT food:
- Dinner for two at Mike Isabella’s Kapnos? For free? We’ve got that. Answer us by Friday in the linked article, and it could be yours.
- It’s Eat Local First Week 2013 (which is exactly what it sounds like) and we want to make sure you’re clued in to every single part of it.
- And as part of Eat Local First Week, we visited Common Good City Farm in Northwest DC, and put together a great little intro video.
- As we do every week, we prioritize your access to cheap libations in the Happy Hour Hotline. It’s hot and gross, and you need a drink.
- Flying Dog Brewery celebrated Gonzofest this weekend, and we’ve got lots of photos of the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion.
- Ramadan is just about halfway over. If you’re fasting, we’ve got a list of the Best Places to Break Fast in DC, including iftar buffets, special menu items, fundraisers, forums, and more.
- July is National Ice Cream Month, and Sunday was National Ice Cream Day. We spent it at the DC Scoop at Union Market. These photos may or may not give you brain freeze.
Upcoming Food Events:
- Tonight, the Golden Triangle and National Geographic Museum will present “Beer Tasting and Brewing in the Age of Pirates“ along with Heavy Seas Beers.
- Starting tomorrow, P.J. Clarke’s will host its first annual Lobster Feast to benefit Autism Speaks. Dinner includes two 1-pound Maine Lobsters traditionally boiled, unlimited Bombay Sapphire cocktails and plenty of sides.
- Chef Mike Isabella’s G opens on Friday 7/26. All sandwiches will be offered for $5 from 11am to 4pm, and proceeds will benefit American Cancer Society’s Fit for Hope. The evening tasting menu will be offered offered Wed-Sun beginning August 3.
- The Gathering: Baltimore also makes a couple stops Friday and Saturday. Food trucks, music and beer. You’re set.
- The aforementioned Eat Local First Farm to Street Party hits Union Market on Saturday, and features 125+ vendors.
- Taberna de Alabardero hosts two interactive events this weekend: A new tapas wine pairing dinner on 7/26 and a paella master cooking class in 7/27.
- Also on Saturday, Grillfish hosts a crab & beer dinner with Flying Dog Brewery, featuring all you can eat Maryland hard-shell crabs, and all you can drink Under Dog Atlantic Lager.
- Addie’s Second Annual Crab Feast is Sunday, and includes local bear and a summer barbecue spread.
- On Monday, the Pig and Mad Fox Brewing team up to create expert pairings for a four course beer dinner.
- Jaleo’s paella festival kicks off Monday 7/29 and runs through August 11, featuring new paellas by Chef Ramon Martinez.
- This time next week (Wednesday 7/31), Boundary Road hosts a delectable wine dinner, pairing 5 courses with Sicilian wines from Donnafugata.
- Next Thursday, Baltimore Magazine’s Best of Baltimore Celebration takes place at the Hippodrome.
- On Saturday 3/3 and Sunday 3/4, Pearl Dive will be doing special sidewalk sales, featuring pulled pork sandwiches served on their signature Addie’s rolls, house-made caramel popcorn ), and $1 oysters.
And then there’s everything else:
- Of course you [expletive] know about Thug Kitchen. You don’t live under a [expletive] rock, do you? WaPo interviews the team behind the greatest (mostly) vegan food blog of all time.
- Coffee is kind of a big deal, or at least, it is in these ten cities. See how DC compares to the rest of the country in terms of passion for caffeine.
- Maryland is getting in on local eating too, with the Buy Local Challenge and Maryland’s Best.
- Going out of town this summer? Chinatown Coffee Co. created an app called Bean Seeker to help you find the best coffee in other cities.
- Through the rest of July, you can get 50% off bottles of wine at Jackie’s Restaurant in Silver Spring.
- Barbecue season is far from over, and Refinery29 has found 11 must eat BBQ spots in the DMV.
- Try one (or all) of these three ways to prepare zucchini squash this season.
Both Kapnos photos by Dakota Fine, originally featured in our first look from July 2, 2013.