ALL THE DC NEWS THAT IS FIT TO EAT (and drink).
Have tips? Send them to [email protected].
This week’s edition of food news is fairly (read: unfortunately) light. It seems that the District’s culinary overloads are entrusting you to create your own meat tornado opportunities. Don’t let them down.
THIS WEEK ON BYT FOOD:
- If you’re looking for the Cliff’s Notes version of this weekend, check out our 4TH OF JULY GUIDE with everything you need to have the most patriotic four-day weekend in the nation’s capital.
- Kabin, a new alpine lodge bar, opens in Dupont, and you’ll definitely want to get cozy here.
- Chef Spike Mendelsohn opens Béarnaise, inspired by steak-frites restaurants, and we got a taste.
- We got a first look of Kapnos, Mike Isabella’s new 14th street spot, with Greek cuisine and boozy lemonade on tap.
- Your favorite source of recession-friendly libations is back for another installment: check the Happy Hour Hotline.
- DC Brau’s latest, Golden Calf, is perfect in every way, and we got to taste it at DGS last week.
- We visit Decanter for a taste of Mediterranean-inspired goodness.
- We spent Sunday at Brainfood’s First Annual DC Burger Battle, and leave you with food porn and some major itis.
UPCOMING FOOD EVENTS:
- Tudor Place hosts an Independence Day Ice Cream Social to kick off a gluttonous holiday weekend.
- Join 1905 for 4th of July fun with 3 Stars Brewing and plenty of grilling.
- Mussel Bar Bethesda is also celebrating the 4th with great food and drink specials.
- Looking for a patriotic bar crawl? Red, White & Brew is your plan.
- Old Glory brings on the great 4th bar specials, and hosts a hot dog eating contest on Sunday.
- From July 5th through 8th, Oyamel celebrates Frida Khalo’s birthday with special menu and cocktails inspired by the artist.
- Bistro Lepic begins their Bastille Week celebrations on Friday night with great prix fixe menus and jazz dinners.
- In addition to their 3rd annual BBQ and Bake-Off, Jackie’s invites you to meet their new chef this Sunday.
- Beginning Sunday the 7th, Early Mountain Vineyard in Madison, VA rolls out Food Truck Sundays.
- On Tuesday 7/9, Peregrine hosts an espresso fundamentals class. Sign-ups are filling up quickly!
- LocaPour’s Drink Local Cider and Mead festival hits Cockeysville Thursday 7/11.
- This month on Saturday 7/13, Art & Soul’s Saturday Supper is spot on: Barbecue and Pies.
EVERYTHING ELSE THAT’S FIT TO EAT (AND DRINK):
- Here’s a handy guide to your best 4th of July brunch options. You didn’t think it was a brunch kind of holiday, but it totally is.
- This week, Ice Cream Jubilee announced the launch of their Ice Cream Delivery Service: four half-pints a month for $25. July’s flavors include Blueberry Pie and Chocolate Five Spice, Thai Iced Tea and Gin & Tonic sorbet.
- Squash Blossoms will be featured prominently in DC menus this month- start off with some choice selections at Table and Kapnos.
- CityEats unleashes a list of the best burgers in the district.
- A new Yelp heat map judges DC venues and reveals the cheapest, most expensive, and hipster-est ones. Commence comment section brawl.