No one does Halloween better than the gays. NO ONE.
Halloween is the high holiday of America’s gay community. Together with the Oscars, the Tonys, and the first day of Beach Season, it marks a day in the gay calendar that shouldn’t be missed. With Halloween falling on a Thursday this year, that pretty much means SEVEN DAYS of Halloween fun. So, dust off your sexy Ted Cruz costume and join in.
Friday, October 25
- Proving that you can be both furry and frightening BEAR HAPPY HOUR at Town will hold a costume contest and Bear-a-oke. Doors open at 6pm. 21 and over.
- Town then presents the SCREAM party. Cash prizes for best costumes 18 and over, decor, Halloween themed drag show and Halloween dance performances by Tha Dance Camp, Music by Wess and BacK2bACk. $5 from 10-11pm, $10 after 11pm. $10 all night if you are 18-20 years old.
- Over at Zeba is a special edition of GlittHER. And while the girls insist this is not a Halloween party, it is encouraging attendees to dress in winter costume wear: long-johns, flannel hats, leather, faux-fur. So, to us, that totally counts.
Saturday, October 26
- Our main event – BYT Presents: Twerk or Treat Halloween Extravaganza. Twerk till there is blood all over the walls at this multi-level sensory overload at the creepy Sphinx Club. Featuring New York’s heavily gay-fronted and overlly-awesome AVAN LAVA, plus CHERYL (New York’s weird dance art collective/party), DC’s premier bootyhouse dj REX RIOT, and a backroom scaryoke contest. This party will be mixed (straight and gay).
- One place that never dissapoints on Halloween weekend is Town Danceboutique. On Saturday night, they are bringing it all with GHOSTTOWN. This included a Halloween drag show, Halloween dance performances by The Dance Camp, $1000 for best costume, DC’s largest Halloween party with amazing decor, Halloween themed drag show and Halloween dance performances by Tha Dance Camp, music by dj Ed Bailey and music and video downstairs by Wess. $8 from 10-11pm and $12 after 11pm.
- Just when you thought it couldn’t get any more slutty CTRL Presents: Carn-Evil at Cobalt. They’re promising “Big Tops! Bossy Bottoms! Bearded Ladies, and the Twerking Dead!” $1000 cash prize for best costume in a contest hosted by the spooky Jezzibell Jaxknife. $5 cover.
- Backstage at the Black Cat is Gay/Bash: Halloween Edition. The scariest motherf@#king drag queen of all time Heidi Glum will be performing along with our favorite train wreck Ms. Summer Camp. That’s a sinister scissoring right there. Additional performances by Dax Exclamationpoint and Rumor Millz. $5, backstage bar.
- For late night frights (starting at 3:00am), check out the Attack of the Afterhours Party at Tropicalia with DJ David Merrill. You can buy tickets at Town (or online) and it benefits the Cherry Fund.
Sunday, October 27
- One of our favorite ladies parties should haunt your plans on Sunday. OverEasy Presents SCARED STRAIGHT at Dodge City.
- Get a ZipCar and head out to Cox Farms in Virginia for their Fall Festival. It’s totally cute and comes with pumpkins, hay rides, and farm animals. It’s actually and adorable date destination and the family is extremely LGBT friendly.
Tuesday, October 29
- THIS IS IT! Get out of the house and head to the 27th Annual 17th Street High Heel Race. What started out as a small event is one of the nation’s largest Halloween celebrations. Thousands pack 17th Street between Cobalt and JRs to catch a couple hundred men in high heels racing down the street. Pro-tip: Although the race itself starts promptly at 9:00pm, the real event is the two hours beforehand as participants parade up-and-down the street to show off their elaborate costumes. So, get there at 7:00pm. Once it’s all over, people head to bars and glitter covers the entire street. Usually, even the police are seen posing with drag queens and donning their feather boas once everything is over. Check out our coverage from 2012, 2011, 2010.
- Then, hit the 17th Street High Heel Race afterparty at Cobalt. No cover, and open until 2:00am. Music by djs Keenan Orr, Sean Morris, and MadScience.
Thursday, October 31
- It’s a party so nice, they DP’d it twice. Town is hosting the 2nd Annual MIXTAPE Halloween Party with djs Shea Van Horn and Matt Bailer. We expect this party to be packed. $10.
- In addition to their weekly hot body contest, Cobalt Presents HAUNT complete with costume contest.
- Nellies will be hosting a Halloween party with DJ LEMZ and a costume contest held at 10pm.
Have a haunting Halloween. For more on DC’s queer nightlife scene, follow the @BYGays on Twitter.