While the Hirshhorn’s building and outdoor plaza remain temporarily closed to the public, the museum is set to reopen its outdoor sculpture garden to the public this Monday, August 17! This coincides with the DC debut of two major outdoor sculptures by contemporary artists Huma Bhabha and Sterling Ruby, adding to the existing 30 modern and contemporary works of art on display in the garden.
Bhabha’s “We Come in Peace” (2018) towers at more than 12 feet tall on the garden’s Mall-side entrance. Ruby’s mammoth “DOUBLE CANDLE”, meanwhile, stands at over 24 feet, and is located at the heart of the garden by the reflecting pool.
Of the garden reopening, Hirshhorn Director Melissa Chiu says:
“We are thrilled to welcome visitors back into our sculpture garden, a safe summer respite. Our mission is to open the museum up to share the art of our time with as many people as possible. The reopening of our garden is one step closer to this ongoing objective, culminating in the garden’s redesign.”
The sculpture garden will be open 10 a.m.–4:30 p.m. daily. New safety measures stand to include the following protocols in keeping with recommendations from the CDC:
- All visitors who are sick or do not feel well should stay home.
- Visitors ages six and older will be required to wear face coverings during their visit. Face coverings are also strongly recommended for visitors ages two-six, per CDC guidelines.
- There will be daily monitoring to maintain a safe garden capacity. Entry may be suspended momentarily when maximum capacity is reached.
- The Hirshhorn will implement safe social distancing, including some one-way paths and directional guidance where appropriate.
- Hand-sanitizing stations will also be available for visitor use, and enhanced cleaning will be routinely conducted throughout the garden.
For more information about what to expect when visiting go to hirshhorn.si.edu.
Audiences can also still virtually visit the Hirshhorn with #HirshhornInsideOut, an ongoing effort to share the Hirshhorn’s artworks, expertise and public programming online.