Most young Americans know Margaret Thatcher from the brief, thumbnail sketches in our history books. And while American news coverage of her passing highlights the triumphs of her impressive public service career, in the United Kingdom her legacy is a bit more complicated.
More than any other politicians, Margaret Thatcher fueled British protest as well as punk rock. Below are our 14 favorite songs about Margaret Thatcher. Not all are punk, but all are protest. No disrespect to the Iron Lady or her legacy. Who wouldn’t want to have a life where people wrote songs about you, even in protest?
We’ll ease you in with the first one, a tongue-in-cheek number by the Not Sensibles. If you do love Margaret Thatcher, then you may sing it non-ironically.
1) I’m in Love with Margaret Thatcher (Not Sensibles)
2) The Day that Margaret Thatcher Dies (Munchkins/Pete Wylie)
Sample lyric: “We will laugh the day that Margaret Thatcher dies. Even though we know it’s not right, we will dance and sing all night.” Also, they actually incorporate “Ding Dong, the Witch is Dead”
3) Tramp the Dirt Down (Elvis Costello)
Sample lyric: “When they finally put you in the ground, I’ll stand on your grave and tramp the dirt down.”
4) How Does it Feel to Be the Mother of a Thousand Dead (Crass)
5) Maggie (The Exploited)
Sample lyric: “Maggie, Maggie, Maggie, Maggie You Fucking Cunt”
6) Margaret on the Guillotine (Morrisey)
Sample lyric: “People like you make me feel so tired. When will you die?”
7) Maggie’s Farm (Blues Band)
While this is actually a Bob Dylan song, the Blues Band re-recorded it in 1979 as a protest and substituted lyrics.
8) Sowing the Seeds of Love (Tears for Fears)
You never realized that this was a Thatcher protest song, did you?
9) Two Million Voices (Angelic Upstartshttp://youtu.be/CvkdlBOdFyo
10) Stand Down Margaret (The English Beat)
11) (Celebrate) The Day After You (The Blow Monkeys)
Yes, we know is the dance remix, but why not?
12) Thatcher’s Fortress (the Varukers)
13) Maggie, Maggie, Maggie (Out, Out, Out) (The Larks)
14) Thatcher Fucked the Kids (Frank Turner)
Now, if anti-Thatcher protest songs aren’t your cup of tea, then here are some lovely GIFs of Meryl Streep playing Margaret Thatcher to delight you.