Weekly rundown of D.C. fashion events+links to love on style blogs+other inspirational stuff we think you may enjoy. Cool? Cool. And as always, let us know if we missed something in the comments.
- Friday, April 2 from 9:00 to 10:00 p.m. there will be a fashion show, which will showcase Bela Figura, Blind Addiktion, Scala, BG Haute, Carlos Alberto, Aidah Collection, Marina Atafyeva, Billy Johnson and i.d x-change by IGAL DAHAN, to benifit the Skin Cancer Foundation @ Josephine Lounge, 1008 Vermont Ave. NW. Happy hour is from 7:00 to 9:00 p.m. and tickets are $30.
- Friday, April 2 and Sunday, April 4 at 1:00 p.m. Nancy McDonough, owner of Kyoto Kimono, will discuss the cultural and aesthetic significance of traditional kimono styles during two fashion shows held in the Freer conference room @ the Smithsonian Institution Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery, 1050 Independence Ave. SW, & Friday to Sunday from 10:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. there will be a trunk show and sale at the museum shop of the Freer Gallery of Art where Kyoto Kimono of New York will present hundreds of vintage Japanese kimono, accessories created from Japanese textiles, bags, scarves, pouches made of vintage silk by Stephanie Goddard of Kimono Rescue.
- Material World: A Handmade Fashion Fest is on Saturday, April 3 @ The Soundry. Fashion show is from 8:00 to 9:30 p.m. and Oh, The Story! performs from 9:30 to 11:00 p.m. $15 at the door.
- Fashionably Pampered Affair, presented by GWFCC and Red Door Spas together with Fashion Washington, is on Monday, April 5 from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. For $80, the DC Fashion Foundation invites you for an evening of fashion & pampering with two of GWFCC’s members, fashion designer Tsyndyma and jewelry designer Evelyn Brooks, @ Red Door Spas Chevy Chase, where you can experience beauty mini-services while treated to champagne and hors d’oeuvres. You also get a Red Doors Spa goody bag, 10% off Red Door Spas products and an opportunity to win a “great prize.”
- Wednesday, April 7 from 6:00 to 10:00 p.m. fashion:district will take place @ View 14, “a new, luxury apartment building” at 14th St. & Florida Ave NW. A runway show, featuring Commonwealth, Derringer Friday, DURKL, Redeem, Treasury and Universal Gear, will take place on the rooftop at 8:00 p.m. + two of the penthouse level apartments will have pop-up shops for Bored of Trade, Derringer Friday, DURKL, Redeem, Treasury and Universal Gear + a lot more so get tickets and additional info. Afterparty is @ Marvin, 2007 14th St. NW.
Chloë Sevigny for Harper’s Bazaar Russia, April 2010.
Stefano Tonchi succeeds Patrick McCarthy as the new editor-in-chief of W. [Courtesy of DailyFrontRow]
“…WOMEN, NOT GIRLS…”
Anna Wintour, Michael Kors and Natalia Vodianova gathered at Harvard for the panel discussion “Health Matters: Weight and Wellness in the World of Fashion.” Wintour and Kors talked about wanting healthy-looking models, while Vodianova revealed her post-pregnancy eating disorder. The Boston Globe has the story. [Photograph by Jim Davis]
[Courtesy of Love, photograph by Bruce Weber]
WESTWOOD THIEF AND MCQUEEN STALKER
Nicola Formichetti, fashion director of Dazed & Confused and stylist to Lady Gaga, confesses to WAD:
“I was the biggest Vivienne Westwood fan. So I started working at her store. I used to steal a lot of things there. One day, the manager told me, ‘People have been stealing. We now have to check everyone before the leave the store.’ That day, I had a bag full of accessories. So I threw it into the bin. My plan was to wait for the cleaning lady to throw the bins outside, and then to retrieve the bag. She came 30 minutes after closing. And just when I was ransacking the bins, I saw my manager watching me. He started yelling: ‘You will never work here again.'”
“I sneaked into [Alexander McQueen’s] two shows in 1998. It was a fashion shock. I was mesmerized. I knew McQueen’s office was in Aldgate at the time, so I became something of a stalker, actually. With my friends, I would go hang outside his building. I would look up to the top floor, where he was working. I could only shadows. I also went through his bins to look at all the photocopies and papers that had been thrown away. I was hanging out a lot, not going to school.” [Photograph by Melissa Hom]
Dree Hemingway graces the spring 2010 issue of i-D in a self-styled shoot at her great-grandfather Ernest Hemingway’s home in Cuba. See more here. [Photograph by Sean Thomas]
KARIN + RAOUL
The new magazine’s first issue will be in available in April. “It is a space for the cultivation of the personal, the mysterious, the sexy. K+R serves up sensual, adventurous, quality fashion, documentary and portrait photography and video, and is a place where photographers from all over the world can connect.” Check out the blog. [Cover shot by Cynthia K. Cortes]
See the rest here. [Photograph by Mark “The Cobra Snake” Hunter]
SONIA RYKIEL AUTOMNE/HIVER 2010-2011