Very exciting news! Smithsonian’s National Zoo (3001 Connecticut Ave., NW Washington, DC) and the National Air and Space Museum’s Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center (14390 Air and Space Museum Parkway, Chantilly, VA) are on track to re-open this Friday, July 24th! All other Smithsonian museums will remain closed, but this is a great start.
Note that free, timed-entry passes are required, and guests aged 6+ will be required to wear face coverings for the duration of their visit, except for when eating or drinking in designated spaces. (Guests aged 2-6 are also encouraged to wear face coverings.) All the other new normals apply, too; social distancing (remain 6ft apart) and good hygiene (hand washing and hand sanitizing frequently) are no-brainers. (There will be hand sanitizer located throughout the facilities that guests may use.) And if you’re sick, stay home!!!
Here are more details about the institutions’ commitments to increased safety:
- We’re limiting the number of people in our museums, galleries, restrooms, and elevators to allow for safe social distancing.
- We’re requiring that visitors wear face coverings at all times.
- We’re providing hand-sanitizing stations for visitors throughout our facilities and conducting more frequent and enhanced cleaning.
- We’re implementing safe social distancing, including one-way paths and directional guidance.
- We’ve installed protective safety shields at bag-check screening stations and registers.
- We’re evaluating our exhibits, interactives, and indoor spaces on a case-by-case basis. Some of these features may be closed or operate at limited capacity.
- Our staff will stay home when sick, wear face coverings, practice social distancing, and wash hands and practice good hygiene.
And more about the timed-entry passes:
- All Smithsonian visitors, regardless of age, must have a free, timed-entry pass to enter the Udvar-Hazy Center and National Zoo.
- Visitors can acquire timed-entry passes by reserving them online or by phone at 1.800.514.3849, ext. 1.
- Visitors will be able to secure up to six passes for personal use only. Passes may not be sold or transferred. Passes are valid only for the issued date and time and void if altered.
- Visitors can choose to print timed-entry passes at home or show their timed-entry passes on their phone or other mobile device. Printed and digital passes will be scanned at the entrances of the Udvar-Hazy Center and Zoo.
If you’re not ready to engage IRL with the Smithsonian’s facilities, you’ll be glad to know they’re planning to continue offering virtual programs and experiences. Check their Online Events Calendar for specific dates and details.
Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center Hours: 10am to 5:30pm daily, closed on Christmas
National Zoo Hours: 8am to 4pm daily, closed on Christmas