Clearly, we all care about supporting local businesses during this COVID crisis time. To add to that sentiment – going to pharmacies and grocery stores has sort of lost its initial stock-piling luster and started to feel suspiciously like a death march. Thankfully, local media has been doing an amazing job of keeping track of all the ways local businesses are pivoting towards producing new products, delivery and shipping.
So, we compiled a handy list of all the lists (see what we did there?) for your COVID-19 essentials, made right here in D.C.:
- Hand Sanitizers: from Compass Coffee to local distilleries, there is plenty of places to get your hands on the most in-demand essential of the COVID-19 essentials. List via Washingtonian.
- Face Masks: Shop Made In DC sells sets, and Northern Virginia Mag has some additional suggestions too. DC designer Sonia Garbarino is making/selling them as well. DCist also just ran a very nice, comprehensive list of local economy supporting, yet, super stylish face masks
- Provision Stores (groceries and beyond): a number of local restaurants have turned into provision stores. Both Washington City Paper and Washingtonian have good lists.
- Independent groceries: from the fancy kind to bodegas and corner stores, here’s how to avoid larger stores right now.
- Meal Service Delivery: If cooking is proving hard and you just want some healthy options delivered to your doorstep, here are 3 solid choices, made right here. BONUS: Our personal favorites are Vegetable and Butcher, because it is not just good for you and delicious, but also because they have been delivering meals to both health care workers and people in need since day one. We have a code for you: BYT20 for 20% OFF your first 3 weeks of deliveries.
- Comfort foods: DCist has a great list of local restaurants that pivoted toward comfort foods and are offering take-out and delivery.
- Beer: We have a list of all the local breweries open for pick-up and delivery.
- Wine and Cocktails: Thrillist has a list for that.
- Marijuana Delivery: Now finally available.
- Health and Beauty: Take Care Shop and Ivy Wild are great destinations for small batched, non-poisonous, natural beauty and wellness needs.
- Books: How to support your local bookstores right now? Check out this list via Washingtonian.
- Care Packages: Steadfast Supply offers them + as does Salt and Sundry
- Anything else you may dream of: we have a live, constantly updated list of 100+ D.C. businesses (beyond food) open for delivery and shipping.
- PLUS: use this SHOP IN PLACE zip code search engine to see what is open near you, at all times.
Any other links or suggestions? We are at [email protected]
BYT makes our living off of things that are currently non-existent as a source of income (arts, events, arts and event advertising). If you’d like to support the work we do, click here. Every little helps right now. Thank you.