Last night, the Restaurant Association of Metropolitan Washington threw the 32nd annual RAMMY AWARDS, this time around at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center. BYT thoroughly enjoys these awards every year (and maybe a little more this year because the lay out and the space allowed for a more party like PARTY), mainly as a refresher course in what restaurants/bars/hang-outs we need to revisit.
We will have a full, gorgeous, style/detail/party gif photo set coming your way momentarily but for the time being we just wanted to send a big congratulations to all the winners (and a high-five to everyone nominated as well) and a thank you for making DC a place we love to eat and drink so much in.
This year’s big winner was, without a doubt, Neightborhood Restaurant Group, with Michael Babin winning Restaurateur of the Year, Birch and Barley/Churchkey finally getting a chance to truly shine in the newly founded Beer Program Of The Year category (another reason to be oh-so-excited for Snallygaster which BYT is partnering on this year) and Red Apron picking up the Regional Food Producer of The Year award.
Red Hen dominated the NEW Restaurant categories with Mike Friedman deservedly winning Rising Culinary Star and the restaurant itself beating out some stiff competition (Le Diplomate, Del Campo, Table & Doi Moi) for Best New Restaurant. Well done, you guys.
In the best restaurants round-up Fiola followed up last year’s Best Chef win with a Best Formal Fine Dining, Ripple snagged the Upscale Casual award and Toki Underground won for Best Everyday Casual. Haidar Karoum of Proof, Estadio and Doi Moi won Best Chef.
But, here is the full list for your perusal. Consider this your perfect Dining-In-DC cheat sheet, and keep an eye out for MORE PHOTOS from us very shortly.
The winners of the 32nd Annual RAMMY Awards are:
- Formal Fine Dining Restaurant of the Year: Fiola
- Upscale Casual Restaurant of the Year: Ripple
- Everyday Casual Restaurant of the Year: Toki Underground
- New Restaurant of the Year: The Red Hen
- Chef of the Year: Haidar Karoum, Doi Moi, Estadio, Proof
- Rising Culinary Star of the Year: Michael Friedman, The Red Hen
- Pastry Chef of the Year: Caitlin Dysart, 2941 Restaurant
- Wine Program of the Year: Ripple
- Cocktail Program of the Year***: Jack Rose Dining Saloon
- Beer Program of the Year***: Birch and Barley / ChurchKey
- Service Program of the Year***: Blue Duck Tavern
- Restaurateur of the Year: Michael Babin, Neighborhood Restaurant Group
- Regional Food and Beverage Producer of the Year***: Red Apron Butcher
- Favorite Gathering Place of the Year: Hank’s Oyster Bar – Dupont Circle
- Upscale Casual Brunch***: Mintwood Place
- Everyday Casual Brunch***: Pearl Dive Oyster Palace
- Favorite Fast Bites***: Amsterdam Falafelshop
- Joan Hisaoka Allied Member of the Year: ProFish, Ltd.
- Employee of the Year: Stelios Alexandris, 1789 Restaurant
- Manager of the Year: Boo Young Kim, District Commons