all photos: Nicholas Karlin, Clarissa Villondo and Franz Mahr
FotoWeek is officially happening with 150+ events and exhibitions. And there was a very wonderful opening party to prove the 2016 edition of the festival is just as alive and fun and beautiful as last year. But before we dive into the photos, a few thank yous:
- Huge thanks to National Geographic for partnering with us and providing this year’s FotoWeek Central Location. Come visit.
- Thanks to Spain Culture US for being the HQ of FotoEduCentral and continuing to partner with us year after year.
- Our FotoWeek Central Exhibition partners: National Geographic, WPOW, Pulitzer Center, Photoville and Redux Pictures, ASMP, ILCP and Syngenta Photography Award – make sure to stop by 2801 16th Street NW and check them out – this may be your one chance to see photos by Ben Baker, Mark Peterson, and a giant iPhone.
- All the 2016 Competition winners and curators
- ALL THE 2016 FOTOWEEK PARTNERS: the programming this year is truly spectacular (check back in daily with us for Today @ FotoWeek Features).
- Our sponsors and donors for the opening night event: David & Reva Logan Foundation, Heineken, Tito’s Vodka and The Wine Group
- Our amazing musical entertainment, DJ Prince Paul, Sugg Savage, and DJ Smudge.
- OM DIGITAL for all the photobooths and instagram printers and being the best.
- Duke’s Grocery, Bibu, Toki Underground, Bar Pilar, Health Ade Kombucha, The Grilled Oyster Co., District Distilling Co., Mezeh, Chloe Wine Collection, 10 Span Vineyards, Trapiche Wines and Save Me, San Francisco Win Co. for providing some amazing food and booze at the opening night. It was all SO delicious, you guys ate / drank it at lightning speed.
- Thanks to Urban Stems for bringing a truck load of beautiful bouquets. You guys always know the way to our hearts.
- All the amazing press people who helped spread the good word about FotoWeek.
- Our staff for crushing through the first weekend without any sleep or rest or anything but adrenaline and a deep desire for this to be great.
- Thank you to Jackson Pro Audio for keeping us in great sound no matter where we are and are lighting crew DC Night Lights for making everything pretty and our No Kings Collective bar staff for keeping a drink in everyone’s hand and everyone else in between.
- Our photo team for documenting all of this (and everything else happening around town).
- And, of course, ALL OF YOU for making your way over to these shows. WE LOVE YOU FOR IT.
- Follow us on Twitter and Instagram at: @FOTOWEEKDC and use #FotoWeek2016 #FotoDC all week long on Instagram and Twitter (bonus: yes, there is an Instagram printer at FotoWeekCentral).Still plenty more FotoDC adventures ahead of us.