All photos: Franz Mahr & Blink OfAnEye
Fotoweek is officially happening. And there was an opening party to prove the 2014 edition of the festival is alive and fun and beautiful. But before we dive into the photos, a few thank yous:
- to Spain Culture US for partnering us and providing this year’s Fotoweek Central Location (2801 16th street NW, where this party happened and which is open to the public Monday-Friday noon-8pm, and Saturday-Sunday 10am-6pm)
- Our Fotoweek Central Exhibition partners: Aperture Foundation, WHNPA, WPOW, Spain Culture US and Critical Exposure – make sure to stop by and check them out
- All the 2014 Competition winners and curators
- ALL THE 2014 FOTOWEEK PARTNERS: the programming this year is truly spectacular (check back in daily with us for TODAY at Fotoweek Features)
- our sponsors: HEINEKEN, Ketel One and Red Bull
- the great music performers: HAERTS, PLEASURE CURSES and ROAM DJs
- ONOMONOMEDIA for all the photobooths (a separate set on this is coming up)
- Farmers Fishers Bakers, Founding Farmers, GRK Fresh and KIND BARS for the food at the opening night. It was SO delicious, you guys ate it at lightnight speed.
- all the amazing press people who helped spread the good word about this
- our staff for crushing through the first weekend without any sleep or rest or anything but adrenaline and a deep desire for this to be great
- our photo team for documenting all of this
- and, of course, ALL OF YOU for making your way over to these shows. WE LOVE YOU FOR IT.
- Follow us on Twitter at @BYT + @FOTOWEEKDC and use #Fotoweek2014 all week long on instagram and twitter. Still plenty more foto adventures ahead of us.
And finally some tips for survival of the week ahead:
- The only website that truly matters and is updated 24/7 with new events etc is http://www.fotodc.org/
- Fotoweek happens ALL OVER TOWN (for partners and locations which range from Holocaust Museum to Phillips Collection to independent galleries, hotels and The Smithsonian itself, click here) BUT FotoDC curates one central location (Fotoweek Central) and this year it is at 2801 16th Street NW (the Former Spanish Ambassador’s Residence). Entry is a $5 donation to FotoDC and trust us, well worth it.
- All the events are separated into the following categories: EXHIBITS / EDUCATION / OPENINGS / FILM – so you can sort through things as you see fit.
- And this year, for the first time ever FotoBazaar, which is an open invitation for local photographers to show their work is happening during FotoWeek (Nov 15-16, with the opening party for that being on Nov 14th) at 51 N Street NE, and the registration for that is OPEN RIGHT NOW.
- Want to get involved beside just attending? BECOME A VOLUNTEER / CONTACT US RE: OTHER KINDS OF PARTNERSHIPS (even looking forward to 2014)
- Got all that? COOL.
Some shots from Blink