Get your tickets to the 2019 Death Becomes Us Festival in DC right here! We’ll be taking over Lisner from November 8 – 10!
We did it! We survived D.C.’s first and only true crime festival. Throwing Death Becomes Us was a dream for our staff and we’re so glad we got to spend two full days talking about murder with the coolest people we’ve ever met (read: you). Whether you missed out (or just want more), the photos below are nothing but magic. Murder-y, occult-y magic. With a grandfather clock on stage. P.S. they are not in show order, but a fun highlight reel because we do want you to scroll through it ALL.
all photos: Nicholas Karlin, Clarissa Villondo, Franz Mahr and Jeff Martin
Dig into the photos below (backstage, sidestage, after-stage and whatnot snaps are included) in no particular order, because it was all a killer good time… But first some quick (ransom) notes:
- Thank you all for coming!!!! You’re all smart and kind and beautiful and we would join your cult any day.
- Thank you to all our amazing talent – you’re all criminally good at what you do: John Douglas, you are our hero. Joe Kenda you are our hero. Paul Holes, you are our hero (you get the picture). Criminal, Last Podcasts on the Left, Wine and Crime, Buzzfeed Unsolved, Small Town Dicks, Harold Schechter, AND OF COURSE How Did This Get Made – we miss you all already. Read our WHY TRUE CRIME? series with all the talent – here.
- Jenn Tisdale for hosting all those shows and coming up with a festival name and changing her outfit from that Aileen Wuornos t-shirt to a body bag to a cute mock-turtleneck in the process.
- Thank you to the Lisner for transforming yourself into true crime central for two days.
- Thank you to Hunt a Killer for being the sponsor of our dreams / nightmares. Use the code DEATH for 20% off your first order.
- Thank you to Audible for being a supporting partner and for creating amazing content day in and day out. We can’t wait to listen to Evil Has a Name. (out November 15th – truly save the date!)
- Thank you to Stitcher for being our favorite true crime podcast platform (and other podcasts too). Stay tuned for an exclusive Small Town Dicks episode recorded at the festival with Paul Holes soon!
- Thank you to the Watergate Hotel for being a scandalously good hotel. We’ll never get over those Potomac views.
- Thank you to Smithsonian Associates for kicking everything off with Deathmask and Ravenmaster events!
- Thank you to Investigation Discovery for being our favorite TV channel! You’re the only reason we have cable.
- Thank you to Drink Company for bringing the true crime pop up bar into existence. We’ve never felt more at home.
- Thank you to the Library of Congress and Alcatraz East Crime Museum for your incredible true crime exhibitions. You’re both bringing history to life every day.
- Thank you to Solid State Books for setting up your adorable little true crime pop up shop. We bought too many books but we regret nothing.
- Follow us on follow us on FACEBOOK / TWITTER / INSTAGRAM and use #TrueCrimeDC #DeathBecomesUs and #BYThings ALL THE TIME.
- Thank you, thank you, thank you for the venom.
- P.S. Stay tuned for some big NY (and maybe elsewhere updates coming soon)
ALSO, AS EVERY DAY EVERYWHERE – THIS IS YOUR REMINDER TO VOTE. VOTE. VOTE.