Wowee, it’s the weekend again! America still sucks, but hey, at least there’s plenty of rad stuff to distract us the next couple of days! PAR EXEMPLE, you can catch a free DJ set from Avalon Emerson, the cast of VEEP will be doing a panel discussion, there’s a Mommie Dearest-themed queer dance party (our GIF theme, clearly) and MORE, so prepare to get prepared! Before we dive into all of ye olde details, let’s first talk about all the dope #C0NT3NT you might’ve missed on BYT this week if you were too busy wondering whether or not societal decline is considered “camp”!
- We spoke to a steakhouse chef about why you should eat less beef!
- Speaking of food, we asked Damien Echols what his first meal out of prison was, and of course his answer was basically “Eddie Vedder ordered everything on the room service menu”!
- We also interviewed Madame Gandhi about ALL OF THE QUEENS…
- …and interviewed Dr. Ruth about ALL OF THE SEX!
- I had a chat to Lydia Ainsworth about how the planet is fucked!
- And here’s our number one film expert Alan Zilberman on political movies in 2019!
Thursday May 9th
- For starters, get to Books Are Magic for a free talk w/ Celeste Ng, duh! She’ll be in conversation about Little Fires Everywhere with Mira Jacob.
- And speaking of talks, there’s gonna be an EPIC one (ft. bonus screening) at 92Y! The cast and creative team of VEEP (Julia Louis Dreyfus, David Mandel, Frank Rich, Tony Hale, Anna Chlumsky, Matt Walsh, Timothy Simons, Kevin Dunn, Gary Cole, Sam Richardson, Sarah Sutherland and Clea DuVall) will be in-house for a big ol’ chat, and you can sit in on it for $60.
- (Plus you can catch Aaron Sorkin, Jeff Daniels, Celia Keenan-Bolger, DeRay McKesson, Jordan Kassalow, Neil Blumenthal and Rabbi Jennifer Krause in back-to-back convos ALSO at 92Y for $35!)
- OR if you just feel like d-d-d-d-dancin’, then head to House of Yes for this week’s Dirty Thursday! The theme is Queens of Pop (Cher, Madonna, etc.), and as always, it’s free w/ RSVP.
- Speaking of tunes, there are lots of good shows tonight even if you didn’t manage to score tickets to Bjork or Halsey! For example, Ex Hex have a $22 show over at Elsewhere!
- Meanwhile, we’ve got Strand of Oaks at Music Hall of Williamsburg for $20…
- …Adult Mom, gobbinjr and Long Neck will play a $13-$15 show at Park Church Co-op…
- …AND there’s a Miami Horror DJ set and Glassio performance at The Arc! Tickets to that one start at $18.
- Or maybe you didn’t connect with anything I just reeled off, in which case maybe you just wanna attend an educational course concerning the history of toilets! (That’s real! That’s not a joke! Tickets are $11!)
Friday May 10th
- First, the Frida Kahlo exhibit at the Brooklyn Museum closes on the 12th, so if you still need to check it out, head over there tonight for that plus a bonus dance party! Tickets are $25 each.
- If you’re lookin’ for LOLs, swing by Caveat for Eureka! A Comedy Night Benefitting Girls Inc. ft. sets by the Lucas Brothers, Aparna Nancherla, Natasha Vaynblat and more! (Tickets are $35-$40 and obviously go towards a great cause!)
- You can also head on over to Union Hall for a new round of That Shit Ray w/ Rachel Pegram and Rachel Joravsky! Tonight’s lineup features Aparna Nancherla, Lorelei Ramirez, Yedoye Travis and more, and tickets are just $8-$10 a pop.
- (PLUS stick around for SecretFormula’s Girl Power Singalong afterwards! Tickets are $10.)
- If book vibes are more your jam, head to Books Are Magic for a free talk w/ LaTonya Yvette! She’ll be in conversation about Woman of Color w/ Erin Boyle.
- In movie land, meanwhile, Moving Image will host a preview screening of Leto ft. bonus discussion Followed by discussion with journalist and filmmaker Bilge Ebiri and the scriptwriter Michael Idov!
- Or if we’re talkin’ tunes, you can catch a $12 Wet DJ set at Brooklyn Bowl!
- But (for me, anyway) the main event is a FREE (w/ RSVP ’til 11pm, $10 after) DJ set from the one and only Avalon Emerson at Nowadays!
Saturday May 11th
- For starters, post up at Littlefield for Pride of Brooklyn: Homebrewing Competition and Expo! Tickets are $30, and the action kicks off bright ‘n early at 1pm.
- You should also obviously stick around for the latest edition of Tinder Live w/ Lane Moore! Tickets to that will run you $15.
- (And after THAT, stick around for a new round of Be Cute Brooklyn, aka America’s favorite queer dance party! Tickets are $10 a pop.)
- If roller discos are more in your wheelhouse, then get to House of Yes for exactly that! Tickets are $15-$25 each.
- Or maybe you’re just in the mood for Bingo Loco (which is exactly what it sounds like // batshit bingo ft. conga lines, glow sticks, prizes, etc.), in which case get to the Bell House to play for $26!
- In terms of shows, we’ve got the Mothers Day Good Music Festival ft. Erykah Badu & H.E.R. at Barclays Center for $49+…
- …plus Lee Fields & The Expressions will be at Brooklyn Steel for $30!
- (And if you couldn’t get enough Erykah Badu, catch her again at Analog BK! She’ll be DJing as DJ Lo Down Loretta Brown for $30+.)
Sunday May 12th
- First, call your mom if she’s alive and/or non-shitty! (If she’s not alive and/or is shitty, great news, you’re off the hook! Also, avoid social media! I am allowed to make these kinds of comments as a member of the Dead Parents Club, don’t @ me!)
- Either way, you should def-o make a beeline for C’mon Everybody, where Mommie Dearest: A Queer Mother’s Day Party is happening from 4pm to 9pm! Free w/ RSVP!
- Or if le cinema is more your vibe, CLEARLY get to Nitehawk Williamsburg for an ultra-appropriate brunch screening of Terminator 2!
- PLUS Morricone Youth will be performing their live score of Mad Max at Brooklyn Bowl for just $10!
- For LOLs, get to the Bell House for This Won’t Hurt: A Benefit for the Brooklyn Free Clinic ft. Aparna Nancherla, Karen Chee and more! Tickets are $15 for students, $20 for GA and $50 for VIP.
- Plus Union Hall is another spot to be! It’s Advice; Live! ft. Christi Chiello and Carly Ann Filbin, and tickets will run you $8-$10.
- For tunes vibes, make it an LPR night! Xiu Xiu will be there for $20!
- And over on the LES, you can catch Bad Bad Hats at Mercury Lounge for $15!