Hi, I have not slept in a very long time and I want to die a little bit, especially since later I have to get on a train to go to Baltimore to get in a car to drive ten hours with my family to Michigan for my cousin’s wedding! (TEN HOURS. IN A CAR. WITH MY FAMILY. NOT INCLUDING. THE HARROWING TRIP. THAT IS GOING TO PENN STATION. TO GET AN AMTRAK. BEFORE THAT.) BUT I AM GOING TO GO GET A BAGEL MOMENTARILY SO HELP ME GOD, so there is at least some light despite no end to this tunnel. This has been a long-winded, whiny way of saying I won’t be here this weekend, but there is SO MUCH GREAT STUFF HAPPENING IF YOU’RE IN TOWN! For example, Sandra Oh will be talking about Killing Eve at IFC Center, and there’s a Selena Sing-Along happening at Videology! (The latter is our GIF theme, although I’d be lying if I said I didn’t consider doing back to back weeks of a Killing Eve theme.)
Before we start chit-chattin’ about all of that stuff, here’s some v. important #CONTENT you might’ve missed on BYT this week:
- We had a chat to Sunflower Bean about all of the things!
- We ALSO had a chat to Leigh Whannell about Upgrade!
- I had a lot of feelings about the season one finale of Killing Eve!
- (And if you need to know why Killing Eve rules, I also had feelings about that!)
- AND here are 13 reasons why you can avoid 13 Reasons Why!
THURSDAY, MAY 31
- In the live show department, Russell Elliot and Lil Frex will be at Secret Loft for $10!
- Halestorm fan? They’ll be at Sony Hall for an evening of conversation and performance tonight! Tickets will run you $29 a pop.
- Or if you’re in the market for a ticket which costs $250, the Party in the Garden’s after-party will feature a performance by the one and only St. Vincent!
- Screen-wise, it’s a new round of Kevin Geeks Out at Nitehawk tonight, and this time the theme is DETECTIVES! Tickets’ll run you $16 a pop.
- Meanwhile, the Found Footage Festival guys will host VCR Party at Alamo Drafthouse BK! Just a few seats left, and they’ll set you back $15 each.
- Or just catch a $25 screening of Pulp Fiction at Videology tonight ft. a bonus boozy milkshake!
- Too broke? Rooftop Films is hosting a free screening of Nancy!
- Or maybe boozing is the ONLY thing you care about tonight; if you happen to be vegan (or just really love alcohol), then head to Solas Bar for a new round of Vegan Drinks! Cocktails are on offer for $5 a pop all night long, and a portion of the proceeds will go to Better Eating International.
FRIDAY, JUNE 1
- First, obviously head to THNK1994 for a discussion titled Long Island Legends, in which you’ll deep dive about icons like LiLo ‘n Dina and MORE! Tickets are $10, drinks provided.
- Plus it’s the Greenpoint Open Studios 2018 launch party! RSVP for free entry!
- (AND if you’re on an open studios kick, BRICworkspace is opening its doors, too! Also free w/ RSVP!)
- In terms of tunes, Bodega will be at Sunnyvale to play a $10 record release gig!
- Gov Ball also kicks off today, and while festivals are my own personal nightmare, you might consider grabbing yourself a GA single-day pass for $115, or a GA three-day pass for $305! (Saturday and Sunday GA single-day tickets are sold out.) A fuck ton of people are on the bill, from Jack White to Halsey to Eminem to Cut Copy to etc., so a package deal could be your best bet if you’re into heading out there multiple times.
- Film-wise, head on over to Videology for a $16 screening of Jaws ft. bonus can o’ Narragansett, PLUS stick around for a $12 midnight screening of one of my PERSONAL favorites, Dogtooth!
- Speaking of midnight screenings, Donnie Darko is playing at Nitehawk tonight and tomorrow!
- Or if comedy’s more your scene, get to UCB East for a new round of Gentrify ft. Dan Black, Jim Tews and more for $12!
SATURDAY, JUNE 2
- First, BookCon kicks off at Javits Center today! Tickets will run you $45 today, and $40 tomorrow.
- It’s also Go Green Festival in McCarren Park! Go forth and learn how to save the planet!
- If movies are more your jam, Sunset Park will host free outdoor screenings of some of their favorite shorts from this year’s festivals!
- Even earlier than that, pop over to Nitehawk for a brunch screening of Bridesmaids!
- Later, obviously hit up Videology for one (or more) of two sessions of a $15 Selena Sing-Along tonight! PLUS you can stick it out for a $12 midnight Coming To America Drinking Game after that!
- UNLESS you’re too busy at the latest round of Yas Mama, which is happening at C’mon Everybody and’ll feature all the best latinx dance grooves in a queer-friendly space! Tickets are $5 before midnight, $8 after that.
- Books-wise, the talk portion has sold out, but you still have a chance for David Sedaris to sign a copy of his new book Calypso for you at Strand Books!
- Or if you’re a TV nerd, go hang out with Amy Sherman-Palladino, Rachel Brosnahan and more at the Paley Center to talk The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel! Tickets are $32 each.
SUNDAY, JUNE 3
- For starters, OH MY GOD Sandra Oh will be at IFC Center to talk about Killing Eve!!! WHY AM I OUT OF TOWN. Tickets are just $15!
- Tunes-wise, clearly get to Elsewhere’s brand new rooftop space before 4pm for free entry to chill w/ Yuksek! ($18+ after that.)
- Or if you don’t mind trekking on over to Montauk, Surf Lodge is hosting a Kelela set for free today!
- Speaking of outdoor vibes, there’s a queer cruising picnic happening at Grand Army Plaza!
- AND you can d-d-d-d-dance it up at Our Wicked Lady, where Jonathan Toubin will be spinnin’ jams on the roof all night long for a suggested donation of $10!
- You can also take things back indoors at Mercury Lounge, where A Place Both Wonderful and Strange and Knifesex will play a $10 show tonight!
- PLUS you can catch a $24 screening of Steel Magnolias at Videology ft. bonus boozy sweet tea!
- If comedy is more your speed, then just get to UCB East for a new If You Build It ft. Julio Torres, Hari Kondabolu and more! Tickets are just $9.