Okay, so the Royal Wedding is all over forever. We have nothing to live for anymore, amirite?! WRONG! You’re totally gonna wanna switch that dial back to BBC America THIS weekend, too, ’cause it’s the season finale of Killing Eve on Sunday, and HOLY FUCK IS THAT EVER A GREAT SHOW! If you don’t know what I’m talking about, definitely check out the first seven episodes (which are on demand) // it’s murdery, it’s funny, and basically I love Jodie Comer more than I love myself. (Disclaimer: this is our GIF theme.)
“But IT IS MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND, MEGAN. And we are AMERICANS. We want to enjoy AMERICAN things, like BBQs and sinkholes!”
Yeah, okay, I’ll tell you some other shit to do this weekend! Calm down!
Before we start chit-chattin’ about all of that stuff, here’s some v. important #CONTENT you might’ve missed on BYT this week:
- First, I’d highly recommend making a trip to DC this October/November, because our Bentzen Ball w/ Tig Notaro is gonna be FUCKING EPIC.
- Similarly, our official Capital Pride opening party lineup is the stuff dreams are made of, so if you’re trying to kick off ye olde gay vibes early, probably consider a southerly jaunt.
- We had a chat to Kai Campos of Mount Kimbie, who doesn’t want your goddamn labels!
- We also spoke to Betty Who, who is just the best!
- We didn’t exactly love Solo: A Star Wars Story.
- Here’s what we think you should stream this week (in addition to Killing Eve), and most of it’s black and white.
- And here is a Sad Girl Taste Test in which I was actually sad!
THURSDAY, MAY 24
- Tunes-wise, obviously get to Rough Trade for an $18 Laura Veirs gig!
- AND Damien Jurado’s at Murmrr Theatre for $20…
- …plus there’s a Bob Dylan tribute happening at Town Hall ft. Laurie Anderson and more! Tickets are $27+.
- Meanwhile, Modeselektor, Apparat and more will be at Output for $40!
- But maybe you just feel like d-d-d-d-dancin’, in which case get to Union Hall for a punk, post-punk and new wave dance party! Tickets are $10.
- PLUS Ariana & The Rose will be back at House of Yes for another round of immersive futuristic disco vibes! Tickets are $15.
- For comedy, hit up UCB East for a new Lasers In The Jungle ft. John Fugelsang and Rebecca Shortall! Tickets are $9.
- And fuck David Cross (and the rest of the Arrested men) a little bit for defending Jeffrey Tambor, but if you’re unfazed, you can see him at Littlefield tonight for $15.
- More into movies? Kick back with a $24 Swingers screening at Videology ft. bonus dirty martini! (You can also stick around for Mrs. Doubtfire Entirely From Memory! Tickets to that are $10.)
- Plus Eraserhead is screening over at Videology! Get you those David Lynch vibes!
FRIDAY, MAY 25
- First, Brooklyn Art Book Fair kicks off today at McCarren Pool! Free entry!
- Brooklyn Tattoo, meanwhile, is having a party at Littlefield tonight ft. giveaways, merch ‘n more! Totally free to attend.
- More into tunes? Chad Valley is set to play Elsewhere for $12-$14!
- PLUS Mount Kimbie will be at Brooklyn Steel for $20!
- Meanwhile, there’s a roller disco happening at House of Yes for $10-$20!
- AND there is a roller disco happening at Prospect Park for $18+!
- Not into skates? Just get to Home Sweet Home for some good AF 50s/60s tuneage from Jonathan Toubin! Tickets are $0 before 11pm, $5 after
- Or in terms of film, lots of good shit happening at Metrograph! Everything from The Birds to A Fistful of Dollars to A Clockwork Orange will screen today!
SATURDAY, MAY 26
- First, The Wild Honey Pie’s Welcome Campers kicks off today if you’re lookin’ to get out of town! Tickets are $250, and include lodging, alcohol, meals, summer camp activities and (obviously) tunes from bands like Salt Cathedral, Cape Francis and more!
- Trying to keep it local? You can also catch Citizen with support from Angel Du$t, Oso Oso and prounoun at Brooklyn Bazaar for $20-$24…
- …and queen of my heart Alela Diane will be at National Sawdust for $20!
- Plus Elsewhere is the place to be today! There’s the opening party for the rooftop ($10-$20), a DJ set from Juan Maclean and Midnight Magic ($15-$25) AND an Elliot and the Ghost album release gig ft. support from New Myths ($12)!
- For comedy vibes, catch a new round of Greg Proops Is The Smartest Man In The World at the Bell House! Tickets are $15.
- And if you’re in the market for some occult stuff, head on over to Catland’s latest edition of Zodiac Market! Free entry.
- More into belting your lungs out? Videology is hosting an $18 Across The Universe singalong! (You can also hang around for a $12 Repo Man Drinking Game!)
- Or just hit up Industry City to watch some twisted AF #DARKTOONS for $18!
SUNDAY, MAY 27
- For starters, WATCH THE KILLING EVE SEASON FINALE ON BBC AMERICA.
- Before that, Nitehawk is doing a brunch screening of Matilda!
- PLUS you can catch E.T.: The Extraterrestrial over at Metrograph this morning! (BEST MOVIE. PERIOD.)
- And obviously get to Videology for a $24 screening of The Parent Trap ft. bonus glass of Napa Valley Chardonnay! (Plus if you’re into the show Friends, which I never got, then stay for free trivia later!)
- You should also make a point to swing by Union Square for the 2018 edition of Passport to Taiwan! Food, culture…all of the things!
- If tunes are more your jam, get to Bowery Ballroom for a $20 Superfruit show…
- …and Our Wicked Lady will open up its rooftop for a luau ft. tunes by Jonathan Toubin (and more!) plus homemade BBQ!
- Speaking of BBQs, the greatest seasonal deal of the century kicks back off today at Metropolitan! Buy a drink, get a plate of grilled food in the backyard all summer long!
- Or if you wanna combine food ‘n comedy, hit up Babycastles for LIVE! FROM! Snackland! (Cooking and Comedy w/ Jo Firestone!) Tickets are just $5-$10.
MONDAY MAY 28
- First and foremost, get to Union Hall for a new round of Battle of the Divas w/ Matteo Lane, Christi Chiello, Cole Escola and more! The theme is Streisand vs. Garland, and it’s gonna be REAL GOOD. Tickets are $8-$10 each.
- It’s also a new round of Butterboy with Jo Firestone, Aparna Nancherla and Maeve Higgins at Littlefield! Tickets are $8-$10, too.
- AND Funny Moms is happening again at C’mon Everybody for $10!
- Meanwhile, Janeane Garofalo, Jeff Lawrence and Nikki Glaser will be at Laughing Buddha for $20!
- Broke as hell? Get your LOLs at UCB Hell’s Kitchen! Dirty Laundry will feature Jacqueline Novak, Harrison Greenbaum and more fo’ FREE!
- Film-wise, Videology is doing $24 screenings of Dirty Dancing all day long ft. bonus watermelon margaritas with each ticket!
- Or if you’re after live music, Superfruit will be back at it again at Bowery Ballroom for $20!
- AND be sure to check out the DanceAfrica 2018 Bazaar outside of BAM!