Holy bananas, you guys. IT’S A WRINKLE IN TIME RELEASE WEEKEND! I have middle of the road expectations for this movie so as not to disappoint myself, but I am 100% stoked on Oprah, so she’s going to be our GIF theme this go-round.
Before we jump into the details on all of that, let’s catch you up on some good BYT content from this week:
- We spoke to Nick Hakim about Green Twins, out now on ATO Records!
- We’re real amped that Three Billboards didn’t win Best Picture!
- We said goodbye to Chris Harrison, reality TV’s dad.
- We created a timeline of when we (like everyone else) inevitably stopped watching The Walking Dead.
- And I ate knockoff In-N-Out in Queens, which was p. dope!
THURSDAY, MARCH 8
- For starters, OBVIOUSLY get to the Bell House for Handmaid’s Tale: The Musical ft. Marcia Belsky, Tim Platt, Tommy McNamara and more! Tickets are $15 a pop.
- If le cinema is more your vibe, hit up Videology for a $12 screening of Buffy the Vampire Slayer!
- Or if you’re more into ye olde art, then head on over to The Armory Show, which kicks off today and runs through Sunday. Tickets are $47+.
- Not made of money? VOLTA is also happening now through Sunday, and will run you less at $25+ per ticket.
- Tunes-wise, head to Brooklyn Bowl for Ladies’ Night w/ Nancy Whang! Tickets are just $10 each.
- Meanwhile, Tycho’s DJing Output tonight for $30…
- …and Pantha Du Prince will be at Elsewhere for $30, too!
- You can also see Nada Surf at Brooklyn Steel for $30…
- …DJ sets from Museum of Love and Midnight Magic at Public Arts for $15…
- …AND catch an acoustic set from The Lemon Twigs at Trans-Pecos for $10.
FRIDAY, MARCH 9
- First, you can hit up a free book signing and Q+A w/ André Aciman, author of Call Me By Your Name! The movie was trash, but the book is v. good! You should go to this!
- My top pick for tunes tonight is an Agar Agar show at Baby’s All Right! Tickets are $12-$15.
- (We Were Promised Jetpacks will also play afterwards for $25!)
- Jessica Lea Mayfield and Mal Blum and the Blums will play a show at Mercury Lounge for $15…
- …and Ella Voss and Freya Ridings will be at Rough Trade for $15!
- Meanwhile, Vitalic will be at Elsewhere for $15-$25, and Juan Maclean will be churning out tunes afterwards for $15-$25, too!
- Plus The Low Anthem and Mega Bog will be at Bowery Ballroom for $20-$23!
- AND you can chill with John Darnielle (The Mountain Goats), Nellie McKay, David Cross and more at City Winery for $25+!
- More into d-d-d-d-dancin’? Swing by C’mon Everybody for an Aretha Franklin vs. Chaka Khan party! Tickets are $8.
- Got a strong stomach? Head to Videology for $24 screenings of Silence of the Lambs ft. bonus “nice chianti”.
- (You can also stick around for a $12 midnight What We Do In The Shadows drinking game!)
- Speaking of midnight screenings, Syndicated is showing Mean Girls for just $4!
- Plus Lady Snowblood is screening at Nitehawk. SO MANY LATE NIGHT CHOICES.
- Comedy-wise, be sure to get to QED for a new round of Relationshit w/ Lynn Bixenspan + Morgan Pielli! Tickets are $10-$12.
- Or if you just want to go and hang out w/ Neil deGrasse Tyson, you can totally do that at BAM for StarTalk! Tickets are $35+.
SATURDAY, MARCH 10
- First off, if you’re up and at ’em early enough, you can catch an 11:15am brunch screening of Beasts of the Southern Wild at Nitehawk!
- Later, get to Littlefield for the FOURTH ANNIVERSARY of Tinder Live w/ Lane Moore! Guests tonight include Eliot Glazer, JD Samson and Mychal Denzel Smith, and tickets are $15 each.
- (You should also stick around for Be Cute Brooklyn, the $5 queer dance party w/ Horrorchata that rules dot com.)
- More into spirit seances? Hit up Catland for one with Reverend Paul Beaudet! Tickets are $15 each.
- Back in the realm of LOLs, you should def-o consider heading to Union Hall for Cheap Date Comedy Show ($8-$10) AND Postmen: An Hour of Sketch Comedy ($8-$10).
- Or if movies are more your speed, then chug a coffee and hit up Videology for a $15 midnight The Fifth Element drinking game!
- Plus Syndicated is screening Mean Girls at midnight for $4 again, too!
- Tunes-wise, head to Baby’s All Right for a record release gig from Pill! Tickets are $10-$12.
- You can also hit up Elsewhere for Argonaut & Wasp! Tickets are $10-$12, too.
- But maybe you just want to spend an evening with Ira Glass, in which case get to BAM to do just that for $25+.
SUNDAY, MARCH 11
- Get your day started on a caffeinated note at the Coffee and Tea Festival at Brooklyn Expo Center! Tickets are $25+.
- You should also put your name on the Queer Soup Night waitlist at C’mon Everybody, ’cause it’s currently at capacity, it’s that good!
- In terms of comedy, hit up Union Hall for Thug Passion: Poetic Justice w/ Shalewa Sharpe, Sharron Paul, Paris Sashay and more! Tickets are $8-$10 a pop.
- It’s also a new round of Sasheer Zamata Party Time at the Bell House! Tickets are just $10 each.
- PLUS let’s not forget the magic that is Here for Drama at Littlefield! Tonight is Shamrocks and Shockwaves, aka a live reading of the RHOC’s trip to Ireland, and tickets are $15-$18 each.
- Meanwhile, tonight’s If You Build It at UCB East is SOLID! Myq Kaplan, Corinne Fisher and more are on the bill, and tickets are a mere $9.
- For movie vibes, get to Videology to catch a $20 screening of Girl, Interrupted ft. bonus hot fudge sundae!
- Plus Stella Schnabel will introduce a screening of Blue Velvet at Metrograph!