I bet you guys have been real real REAL WORRIED about me now that the Winter Olympics are over. Like, “Wow, what is Megan even going to do to fill the void???” Well, rest assured, ’cause the USWNT kicks off another She Believes Cup this afternoon! More SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS to boost my morale! “But I hate sports, Megan!” Well, you’re in luck! Everything I’m about to suggest re: going out this weekend is 100% athleticism-free! (Apart from dancing, but you know what I mean. No curling.) Your options include the opening of the Bowie exhibit at Brooklyn Museum (GIF theme, duh), Academy Awards screening parties and SO MUCH MORE!
Before we jump into the details on all of that, let’s catch you up on some good BYT content from this week:
- We went to the NYC Lunar New Year Parade and it was lit!
- We also interviewed a guy about what it’s like to live on a haunted farm! (See also: dark figures and hay bale attacks!)
- Here’s a chat with Rhye about being a road warrior…
- …and another one with Computer Magic about outer space and dreams!
- Jenn de la Vega gave us all of her chili tips and secrets for National Chili Day…
- …and Marcus Dowling gave us a crash course in K-pop.
THURSDAY, MARCH 1
- First, make a concerted effort to swing by the MFA Fine Arts Open Studios over at SVA tonight! Free and open to the public.
- On Air Fest also kicks off today at the Wythe Hotel! It runs through Sunday, and special guests include Laurie Anderson, Dylan Marron, Stretch Armstrong and more. (Tickets range from $99-$249.)
- Tunes-wise, catch Les Nubians at BRIC House for $15-$20!
- There are also two good Elsewhere gigs tonight – 1. a $17 Diet Cig show, and 2. a $10 BOYTOY set!
- And you can head on over to Music Hall of Williamsburg for a $25 show from The Presets.
- In the realm of comedy, there are two solid shows happening at Union Hall – 1. Serious Matters w/ Kevin McCaffrey, Brock Mahan, Sean Patton and more ($7), and 2. See You In Hell with Doug Smith, Matt Wayne, Mara Marek and others ($10)!
- Meanwhile, Everything Is Terrible (the found footage collective) is putting on a presentation of T H E G R E A T S A T A N for $20 at the Bell House!
- Or if all of that is too lighthearted for you, just swing by Videology for a $26 screening of American Psycho ft. bonus straight J&B!
- While we’re on the subject of cinema, head to Nitehawk for a special Everything Beautiful Is Far Away Q+A w/ writer/director Pete Ohs, co-director/artist Andrea Sisson and composer Alan Palomo!
- Plus the Film Forum is continuing the Ingmar Bergman mania w/ screenings of The Seventh Seal, Persona and more!
FRIDAY, MARCH 2
- For starters, the David Bowie exhibit opens at Brooklyn Museum today! It’s probably going to be hella packed, but WORTH IT.
- And in celebration of that, The Way Station will have a Bowie tribute ft. eight bands covering his songs!
- You can also catch High Waisted and KITTEN at Bowery Ballroom tonight for $12!
- Plus Kelela’s at Irving Plaza for $20+…
- …and Lucy Dacus is at Music Hall of Williamsburg for $15-$18!
- If you just wanna cut a nostalgic rug, head to Brooklyn Bowl for Hot In Herre: A 2000s Dance Party! Tickets are $10 a pop.
- For LOLs, grab a $25 ticket to attend a live taping of “I Seem Fun: The Diary of Jen Kirkman Podcast” at the Bell House!
- Meanwhile, Brandon Collins hosts Don’t Think Once at Union Hall ft. Maddy Smith, Corinne Fisher and more! Tickets are $8-$10 each.
- If you’d rather just stay up past your bedtime, hit up Videology for a $15 a midnight Showgirls drinking game!
- (And if you get there early, you can hang out at a $16 Do The Right Thing pizza party!)
- You can also catch midnight screenings of Blade and Mohawk at Nitehawk!
SATURDAY, MARCH 3
- Let’s start w/ Sumo & Sushi, which is happening at Playstation Theater today and tomorrow for $49+ a ticket! You’ll watch sumo wrestlers duke it out round robin style, plus there’ll be bento boxes, booze AND an opportunity for you to get in the ring and fight the pros at the end!
- Let’s also talk about my top tunes pick for tonight, which is a $15-$18 Computer Magic show at the Knitting Factory!
- You can also head to Carnegie Hall for the Tibet House US Benefit Concert ft. Philip Glass, Angel Olsen, Blood Orange, Carly Simon, Patti Smith and more! Tickets are $35+.
- Meanwhile, Bodies Be Rivers, Lauren Balthrop and Caitlin Pasko are all at C’mon Everybody for $10-$12!
- For queer latinx dance vibes, get to a new round of YAS MAMA at C’mon Everybody! Just $5 all night!
- Just wanna d-d-d-d-dance for f-f-f-f-free tonight? Get to the Bell House for a new round of Party Like It’s 1999: My Heart Will Go On and the 90s Movie Hits edition!
- You can also head to Union Hall for a new round of Book Club with Blythe Roberson, Sachi Ezura and more! Tickets will run you $8-$10 a pop.
- Plus stick around for White Chocolate after that ft. Nore Davis, Sydnee Washington, Christi Chiello and others! $8-$10 entry.
- If you’d rather kick back and zone out, Videology is hosting a free live screening of Blue Planet II! Just be sure to RSVP to guarantee a seat.
- (They’ll also be hosting an $18 screening of The Outsiders ft. bonus free bottle o’ Budweiser!)
- But my top vote in the realm of screenings is MOST DEFINITELY Clueless at midnight at Syndicated. Just $4!
SUNDAY, MARCH 4
- HAPPY OSCARS DAY! Head to Union Hall for Seeing Red On The Red Carpet: A Drunk Ed Anti-Academy Awards Benefit Show ft. ultra-funny humans Mitra Jouhari, Liza Treyger and Nicole Silverberg! Tickets are $12-$15.
- You can also always head to Littlefield for a FREE screening party…
- …or if Videology is more in your neck of the woods, they’re screening free, too!
- If you’d rather watch movies than rate them, head to Nitehawk for brunch screenings of Oh Lucy! (LOOKS SUPER GOOD!) and Faces!
- If you wanna ignore cinema altogether, just head to C’mon Everybody for an $8 Rvby My Dear gig!
- More into LOLs? Hit up UCB East for a new round of If You Build It ft. Noah Gardenswartz, Nore Davis and more! Tickets are $9.
- But maybe you’re just hungry, in which case get to Grand Bazaar NYC for a special Sweet & Spicy Bazaar ft. everything from artisanal peanut butter cups to Tokyo fried chicken!
- And I know I told you I wasn’t going to talk about sports, but I LIED, OKAY! If you can figure out how to get to NJ, then you might want to grab a ticket to see the USWNT play France at Red Bull Arena at noon for $34! SOCCER IS A GOOD SPORT CHANGE MY MIND.