HEY BUDDIES! Are you in town this weekend or are you milking America’s birthday for all it’s worthlessly worth? Good on you for gettin’ outta dodge! Or if you’re stranded here forever, you can rest assured that there’s plenty to do the next few days! (AND it’s gonna get less hot dot com! BONUS!) Personally I’ll be watching the World Cup and Wimbledon all weekend long, but if you’re into leaving your couch, you have plenty of good dance parties to choose from, several screenings of Wet Hot American Summer (our GIF theme) and MORE, so get ready to hear all about that. BUT FIRST, here’s some stuff you might’ve missed on BYT this week:
- The World Cup Quarter-Finals are nearly here! Our latest update has everything you need to know.
- a place both wonderful and strange gave us a Spotify playlist of the tunes they were pumpin’ while on tour, and it’s P. GREAT // GO LISTEN!
- We reviewed The First Purge! Here’s what you need to know before you throw your money and/or movie pass at it!
- And speaking of movies, here are the best ones (we think, anyway) to have been released so far this year!
- July is gonna be dope as hell, and here’s why!
THURSDAY, JULY 5
- Dance off yesterday’s burgz ‘n dawgz ‘n beerz at Output, where Flosstradamus will set up shop for $30-$40!
- Too poor? Jacques Renault is taking over Elsewhere’s rooftop, and it’s free w/ RSVP!
- AND it’s the July edition of Dance Dungeon at Tilt BK // all of the dark room electro dancin’, all for free!
- Feelin’ nostalgic? It’s 90s Night at House of Yes! Free!
- Or if movies are more in your wheelhouse, head to Stuyvesant Square Park for a free screening of Hitchcock’s The Birds!
- For comedy, just get yourself to Pacific Standard for Pacific Stand-Up ft. headliner Ophira Eisenberg!
- Or if everything I just said was too lowbrow for your tortured soul, get to the opening reception of the 2018 National Photography Competition at Soho Photo Gallery! 6pm to 8pm, free and open to the public.
- AND you can top it all off with An Evening of Humorous Readings at the Gallery at LPR // featured lineup includes Taylor Garron, Seth Reiss, Evan Waite and Ysabel Yates, and it’s (you guessed it) 100% free w/ RSVP!
FRIDAY, JULY 6
- First, get to Elsewhere for DFA Summer Hot Dog ft. DJ sets by Tim Hoey, Holy Ghost!, Nancy Whang, Juan MacLean and more! Tickets are $20-$35 a pop.
- You can also chill w/ Idris Elba, Kenny Dope and Alix Alvarez at Output for $40!
- Or for slightly cheaper dance times, hit up Good Room for a $15 evening w/ Brodinski!
- Matisyahu fan? You can catch him at City Winery for $45+.
- For comedy vibes, get to Union Hall for Old Ass Broadway Live w/ Matteo Lane, Alexandra Nader and more! Tickets are $5-$10. PLUS Backfat Variety will present ‘MERICAVISION after that ft. Tommy McNamara, Tim Platt and more! Tickets are $8-$10.
- Meanwhile, Joe Pera will be at tonight’s edition of Literati: A Comedy Show About Books and the Idiots Who Write Them at Caveat! Tickets are $8-$12.
- And you can hit up Friends and Lovers for the July edition of Speak American ft. Emmy Blotnick, Jordan Temple, Crystian Ramirez, Fareeha Khan and Pedro Gonzales! Free!
- Or if you’re more into movies, swing by Videology for a $24 screening of Cruel Intentions that hooks you up w/ a bonus Long Island Iced Tea, plus there’s a $12 Space Jam drinking game after that!
SATURDAY, JULY 7
- First, it’s Target First Saturdays at Brooklyn Museum, and this month’s theme is Reimagining Independence. Great lineup, and FREE!
- Tunes-wise, there’s a Sons & Heirs (Morrissey and The Smiths tribute band) show at Bowery Ballroom for $20-$25…
- …or catch a St. Lucia DJ set at Brooklyn Bowl for just $12!
- But my top pick tunes-wise is a FREE Rhye, Natalie Prass and Overcoats show that’s happening at Prospect Park!
- (You can also see Beach Fossils for free, but it’s an all-ages show that’s happening at Terminal 5. So like…just be aware that it might be a nightmare.)
- If queer latinx dance parties are calling your name tonight, though, then get to C’mon Everybody for the latest round of Yas Mama! Tickets are $10.
- For LOLs, hang out with Sasheer Zamata, Joe Pera and more at Union Hall tonight for a new round of Oh, Such A Good Show, Oh! Tickets are $8-$10 a pop. AND stick around for White Chocolate after that w/ Christi Chiello, Sasheer Zamata, Rob Cantrell and more! Tickets are another $8-$10 each.
- If movies are more your jam, head on over to the Bell House for a Wet Hot American Summer edition of Drinking Game! Tickets are $15. (Plus stick around for a new round of Party Like It’s 1999! It’s Beastie Boys themed and FREE!)
- Meanwhile, Anchorman is screening for $24 at Videology, and each ticket comes w/ a glass o’ scotch! (And later, there’s a $15 Moulin Rouge singalong, plus a $12 Cabin In The Woods drinking game!)
- If none of that stuff is weird enough for ya, head on over to Catland for a new round of Zodiac Market (free and open to the public!) followed by a spirit seance! (You will need to pay $15 to talk to the dead, just FYI!)
SUNDAY, JULY 8
- For starters, watch a $22 screening of The Big Sick at Videology ft. bonus mimosa with each ticket! (There’s also free RuPaul’s Drag Race trivia later!)
- You can also catch brunch screenings of Jaws and Wet Hot American Summer over at Nitehawk!
- Meanwhile, Dirty Dancing is screening at Syndicated for just $4!
- Or just hit up El Derty for a free rooftop screening of The Lost Boys!
- PLUS Jaws is playing for free outdoors at Habana Outpost!
- For daytime dance vibes, head to Brooklyn Mirage for Daft Brunch! Juan MacLean, Nancy Whang, Justin Strauss & Oktave will be churning out the tunes, and entry is FREE before 12:30pm w/ RSVP.
- And it’s a new round of Tiki Disco over at The Well! $10 entry to that one.
- It’s also Steez Day at Central Park! Catch Joey Bada$$, Flatbush Zombies and more for $35-$40.