Wow wow wow what another great week traipsing through the trash fires of 2018! Fortunately it’s just about to be the weekend, meaning we can shut off our brains for a few days to avoid going completely insane! And there’s lots to do, from Panorama (provided you have all of the finances, which I do not!) to John Waters Q+A’s to a KEANU REEVES TRIBUTE + TRIVIA NIGHT! (Our GIF theme because duh.) Before we talk details, here’s what you might’ve missed on BYT this week:
- Comic Con FOMO? Here are some snaps from this year’s SDCC!
- I saw the 2018 Eurovision Song Contest winner (Netta) perform live at the Standard EV on Monday and IT WAS AMAZING.
- We celebrated National Tequila Day by reminding you of all the dumb shit we’ve done while tequila drunk (I barfed out the window of a moving vehicle), plus we ranked a fuck ton of margarita mixes!
- Calling all beer nerds! We have a boner for Allagash’s Little Brett!
- I interviewed Chelsea Jade about her AMAZING debut record, which you should download RIGHT NOW!
- We also talked to the ultra-talented Raphael Saadiq…
- …and we reviewed the ultra-lowbrow Mamma Mia 2.
THURSDAY, JULY 26
- For starters, get to Damrosch Park for Selena for Sanctuary ft. Mon Laferte, Cuco, Gaby Moreno and more! It’s a free event, which is kind of amazing!
- For cinematic vibes, it’s a Goonies-themed edition of A Drinking Game over at the Bell House! Grab yourself a $15 ticket and truffle shuffle on over there!
- Plus Videology is hosting a tribute ‘n trivia night for Keanu Reeves! Tickets are $15.
- You can also RSVP to Littlefield’s opening night party for the 15th annual Animation Block Party! They’re putting on a special edition of Picture This, and it’s F-R-E-E!
- Or maybe you just wanna learn how to make your own incense, in which case get to Catland for a $15 crash course!
- Tunes-wise, you can head to C’mon Everybody for a $10 EP release show from Skyes!
- Not your jam? Daniel Norgren and This Is The Kit will set up shop at Bowery Ballroom for a $20 show!
- Meanwhile, Sleep will be at Brooklyn Steel for $30…
- …A$AP Ferg will be at Terminal 5 for $35…
- …and Bermuda Triangle (ft. Brittany Howard of Alabama Shakes) will be at Music Hall of WB for $40!
- Plus there’s lots more free stuff! First, catch Hurray for the Riff Raff for FREE at Battery Park!
- Combo Chimbita will also be at MoMA for free tonight…
- …while Brandi Carlile will take over Prospect Park for $0, too…
- …and Octo Octa will be at Good Room for free before midnight and w/ RSVP!
FRIDAY, JULY 27
- Panorama kicks off today at Randall’s Island! Provided you don’t mind the trek, and you possess a million dollars (read: $99+), this may be of interest to you! Today’s lineup includes Charlotte Gainsbourg, The Weeknd, Yaeji, Migos, Dua Lipa and more.
- But if you’d rather just hit ye olde high seas, then grab a $39.99 ticket to catch The Black Lips and Surfbort on a goddamn boat!
- Just wanna celebrate the full moon? There’s a dance party for that at House of Yes, because of course there is! Free before 11pm w/ RSVP, gotta pay up after that.
- There’s ALSO a Whitney Houston vs. Mariah Carey dance party happening at C’mon Everybody, and tickets are just $5!
- Or if 2000s disco punk is more in your comfort zone, hit up the Knitting Factory for Take Me Out, which is free w/ RSVP!
- If tunes aren’t your vibe tonight, maybe you’d prefer to take a $20 course titled “Demonology 101” at Catland instead!
- Meanwhile, there’s a $24 Superbad kegger happening at Videology!
- AND MOST IMPORTANTLY YOU CAN GO TO IFC CENTER FOR SCREENINGS OF HAIRSPRAY AND FEMALE TROUBLE AND JOHN WATERS WILL BE THERE FOR Q+A’s!!!
SATURDAY, JULY 28
- You can also suck up your hangover and head back out to Randall’s Island Park, where $99+ will get you a single day pass to today’s round of Panorama. (Two-day and three-day passes are obviously more expensive.) Today’s lineup includes Gucci Mane, Japanese Breakfast, Jay Som, Lo Moon, Sigrid, St. Vincent and more!
- Meanwhile, there’s a $20 Chicano Batman / Helado Negro gig at Brooklyn Bowl…
- …plus Jay Som and Lo Moon are relocating to Music Hall of Williamsburg post-Panorama for a $22.50 show!
- More into retro vibes? Boy George and Culture Club, The B-52’s and Thompson Twins’ Tom Bailey will all be at Forest Hills Stadium for $30+!
- Not into that? You can also cut a rug with Horse Meat Disco at Output for $30+!
- Fucking broke? Allie X is playing a $10 show at Rough Trade tonight // HIGHLY RECOMMEND.
- Or if you’re REAL impoverished, just catch DJ sets from Japanese Breakfast and The Shacks at DT*UT for FREE w/ RSVP!
- Think you can stomach a night at Le Bain? Discwoman will also be throwing a post-Panorama party from 10pm to 4am!
- Or if you wanna make it a beach day, you can take advantage of a free New Myths gig at Rippers! (Grab a hot dog while you’re at it!)
SUNDAY, JULY 29
- First, hit up House of Yes for some restorative Deep House Yoga! Starts at noon and will run you $20.
- You can also pop back over there after-hours for Daddy Issues, a queer dance party that kicks off at 10pm! Tickets are $10.
- And (you guessed it) Panorama is still a $99+ option today! Lineup includes David Byrne, Greta Van Fleet, Fleet Foxes, Odesza, Rex Orange County, The XX, The Killers and more.
- Or hit up Elsewhere’s rooftop for a Smartbar Chicago party! It’s free until 4pm w/ RSVP, but you WILL have to cough up $10+ if you plan to arrive after that.
- But you can also dial it back with some solid no-cost shows today instead! Femi Kuti & Positive Force will play Rumsey Playfield for free…
- …plus Jonathan Wilson and Lucy Dacus will be at Lincoln Center’s Damrosch Park for free!
- We can also shift over into comedy territory! UCB’s got a new round of If You Build It ft. Nore Davis, Alyssa Wolff and more, and tickets are $9 a pop.
- Or if you’d rather just lord your extensive Broad City knowledge over the rest of the planet, hit up Videology for a night of free trivia!