Well HEY, and welcome back to another dose o’ weekend suggestions, y’all! There’s plenty to do to help you forget that No. 45 is in Russia’s back pocket INCLUDING but not limited to a Dolly Parton tribute (our GIF theme, obviously), outdoor tuneage by way of Sequence Festival, some good old fashioned restorative deep house yoga and more! BUT before we talk details, here’s what you might’ve missed on BYT this week:
- We spoke to Bo Burnham about making Eighth Grade!
- I saw Radiohead at MSG and it was depressing!
- Brandon Wetherbee saw Hatsune Miku in DC and it was not depressing!
- The World Cup is over, but Pussy Riot high-fiving Mbappe in the final will live on in our hearts forever!
- Headed to Pitchfork Festival? Here are nine unmissable early afternoon sets!
- And here’s why The Williamsburg Hotel is your new favorite rooftop pool spot!
THURSDAY, JULY 19
- Tunes-wise, the obvious choice (provided you’ve got $49+) is to catch Beck and Jenny Lewis at Madison Square Garden!
- You can also post up with Animal Collective at Town Hall for $40+.
- BUT WAIT, THERE’S MORE! As I mentioned earlier, you can hit up Industry City for DOLLYLUJAH: A Celebration of Dolly Parton ft. cover band Doll Parts and MORE! Tickets are $15.
- For LOLs, head to EastVille Comedy Club for an $11.99 show ft. Janeane Garofalo, Todd Barry and more, duh!
- Or if you’re more in the mood to watch a movie outdoors, head to Brooklyn Mirage for a screening of Dazed and Confused! Tickets start at $14.
- (You can also hang out in the AC at Videology, where they’ll be showing Notorious ft. bonus champagne! Tickets are $24.)
- Or if you’ve got NO money and still want to have a v. excellent time, get to Union Pool to dance your heart out at a new round of PAT Party w/ JD Samson! As always, free!
- And SPEAKING of queer-friendly dance parties that are free, there’s a new Dirty Thursday happening at House of Yes ft. ALL OF THE GLITTER!
FRIDAY, JULY 20
- First, you better RSVP to see Blondie, Liz Phair and SASAMI at House of Vans tonight FO’ FREE, ’cause it’s definitely going to hit capacity quickly.
- You can also scope our buddies High Waisted with The Donkeys and Roya at the Bell House for $15!
- Or if YOU wanna be in control o’ ye olde mic, head to Union Hall for a $10 90’s singalong!
- Comedy-wise, guess what? You can catch Janeane Garofalo AGAIN over at Eastville Comedy Clib tonight! Tickets are $21.99 a pop.
- Too pricey for ya? Hit up Crystal Lake for Knapsack – a free stand-up showcase ft. Seaton Smith, Samantha Ruddy and more!
- Or if movies are more your jam, then pop over to Videology for a $25 screening of Grease ft. bonus boozy milkshake!
- Not serious enough for you? Get to Angelika Film Center for a screening of McQueen ft. bonus Q+A w/ directors Ian Bonhote and Peter Ettedgui!
- Or if you’re just feelin’ spooky dot com, head to Syndicated for a $4 midnight screening of Suspiria!
SATURDAY, JULY 21
- Head on over to Industry City today for the first round of Sequence Music Festival! The lineup features Neon Indian (DJ Set), Pomo, SHAED and Plastic Picnic, and tickets are $27 a pop.
- Meanwhile, if you’ve got $99+, you can hit up OZY Fest at Central Park! (I do not have $99, so I will not be in attendance!) Lineup includes Hillary Clinton, Martha Stewart, Common, Roxane Gay, Rose McGowan and more!
- But how’s about you just dial it back at Louis Armstrong’s Wonderful World in Queens? It’s 100% F-R-E-E and will feature a lineup that includes Action Bronson, The Soul Rebels and MORE!
- (If you ARE hellbent on doing a #FEST today, then definitely get to SLAYFEST at BAM’s Fisher Building to celebrate queer and trans arts and culture! Tickets are $23+.)
- Or if you have your heart set on the open seas, then cough up $30 for a ticket to chill w/ Electric Six on a boat!
- If it’s a dance party you’re after, most definitely RSVP to Saint Vitus’ latest round of Night.Wav for ALL OF THE SYNTHWAVE GOOD TIMES!
- Plus it’s The Black Parade – Emo / Pop Punk / 2000s Alt at the Knitting Factory tonight, so if that’s more your speed, rest assured that it, too, is free w/ RSVP!
- For comedy vibes, the early show is sold out, but you can still catch the late edition of How Embarrassing For Her: An Evening w/ Jacqueline Novak Hosted By John Early at Union Hall for just $8-$10!
SUNDAY, JULY 22
- First, hit up House of Yes for a relaxing hour of deep house yoga! Tickets are $20.
- (And stick around for a FREE pool party! But do note that if it rains, they’ll move it to July 29th instead!)
- Plus over at The Well, it’s a new round of Tiki Disco from 2pm to 10pm! Tickets are $10.
- Meanwhile, it’s day TWO of Sequence Music Festival, and today’s featured lineup includes sets from Com Truise, Anna Wise and Aaron Taos! Tickets are $27 each.
- It’s also day two of OZY Fest at Central Park! Tickets are only $79 today, but I still don’t have $79, so I will not be in attendance! Lineup includes Passion Pit, Chelsea Handler, Michelle Wolf, Lavern Cox, Padma Lakshmi, Kirsten Gillibrand and more!
- But why in the F wouldn’t you just make it a beach day and catch Ed Schrader’s Music Beat at Coney Island Baby for $10?!
- Comedy-wise, we’ve got Judah Friedlander at EastVille Comedy Club for just $11.99!
- You should also CLEARLY get to the Bell house for a new round of Eliot Glazer’s Haunting Renditions! Tickets are $15 a pop.