It’s SUPER BOWL-UPER-BOWL-UPER-BOWL-UPER-BOWL WEEKEND-EEKEND-EEKEND-EEKEND! (That was my impression of shouting into the void.) Whether or not you have plans to cram eight thousand chicken wings into your body for the sake of sports, there’s plenty to do INCLUDING but also ASIDE FROM watching football. In fact, did you know it’s Groundhog Day on Saturday? Yeah! And Nitehawk is doing brunch screenings! HENCE WE HAVE OUR GIF THEME! Before we dive into all our options, let’s first recap some great #CONTENT you might’ve missed on BYT this week while you were shaking your fist menacingly at Howard Schultz!
- We announced our true crime festival! Death Becomes Us (March 20-24) is gonna be SO DOPE, AND YES AMANDA KNOX IS GOING TO BE ONE OF OUR GUESTS IN ADDITION TO PAUL HOLES, DAMIEN ECHOLS AND SO MANY MORE! Tickets go on sale TOMORROW at 10am!
- Here’s our ultimate music documentary guide! If you don’t cry during Katy Perry’s Part of Me, then you are a monster and you are dead to me!
- Jenn tried to figure out why Ted Bundy is still so attractive despite being a psycho killer!
- She also made this ASMR guide and YOU ARE WELCOME! (I whispered that, could you tell?)
- Here’s a listening party we did with the one and only KingJet, who’s got a new EP out RIGHT NOW!
- AND scope some of our rad photos from Diet Cig and Rubblebucket’s Brooklyn Steel show last weekend!
Thursday, January 31
- For starters, head to 92Y to celebrate Ursula K. Le Guin w/ Michael Chabon, Karen Joy Fowler, N.K. Jemisin, Luis Alberto Urrea and more! Tickets are $26 a pop.
- If you’re more into murder ‘n the paranormal, then definitely hit up the Bell House for And That’s Why We Drink Live! Tickets are $25+.
- You can also swing by Catland to learn all about potions and tinctures! Class admission is $15.
- Or maybe you feel more like warmin’ up by cuttin’ a rug, in which case get to House of Yes for a FREE Beyonce dance party!
- (Meanwhile, Baltra and Juan Maclean will be DJing Elsewhere’s Loft for free, too!)
- Rich as hell? Grab yourself a $170+ ticket to see Justin Timberlake at MSG, duh!
- (But since you’re probably NOT that dough-loaded, probably catch Jon Spencer and the HITmakers at Rough Trade for $20 instead.)
- Or if you wanna get some yoga in post-work, then head to Bogart House for a $0-$20 disco yoga party ft. Deep Eddy cocktails!
Friday, February 1
- First, CLEARLY grab $10-$15 tickets to hit up Brooklyn Bowl for the latest round of This Party Is Killing You, aka THE ROBYN PARTY!
- Meanwhile, it’s Dance Yourself Clean at Baby’s All Right for all of ye olde indie dance party vibes! Tickets to that will run you $10-$12 each.
- Or if you’re more of a straightforward live show kinda guy, then catch Steve Gunn at Bowery Ballroom for $20!
- AND Ted Leo will be at Brooklyn Bazaar for $16-$18!
- If Rainbow Kitten Surprise is more your jam, then grab a $35 ticket to catch the band at Hammerstein Ballroom!
- For comedy vibes, head to QED! You Had To Be There w/ Dave Hill will run you $10 a ticket.
- Meanwhile, tonight’s Whiplash lineup looks REAL GOOD over at Union Hall! Janeane Garofalo, Emmy Blotnick and more are all on the bill, and tickets will run you $8-$10 each.
- (Plus stick around for Guy Montgomery’s presentation of I’m Friends with These People ft. Rachel Pegram, Joe Pera and more! Tickets are also $8-$10 each.)
- But maybe you’re lookin’ to get political, in which case head to the Bell House for the Michael Brooks Show Live! Tickets are $25+.
- Just real, real, REAL hungry? Head to WEEK TWO of SMORGXVICE 2019 at Villain Brooklyn! Limited GA admission is free w/ RSVP, and then admission starts at $25+. Free astrology readings, free Irish coffee tastings, lots o’ food ‘n plenty o’ tunes.
Saturday, February 2
- Starting things off with live tunes, we’ve got Rainbow Kitten Surprise at Hammerstein Ballroom again for $35+!
- (Plus Poppy’s at Irving Plaza for $25!)
- In terms of comedy, head to Union Hall for Picture This! (ft. Jo Firestone, Myq Kaplan and more) and/or HER-ICANE (a disaster relief show ft. an all-female identifying lineup including Rebecca O’Neal, Marcia Belsky and more), both of which will run you $8-$10 each!
- Just wanna d-d-d-d-dance? Head to the Bell House for a new free round of Party Like It’s 1999: the Green Day Edition!
- Meanwhile, it’s Candi Pop at Baby’s All Right ft. all of the bubblegum pop dance vibes for $10-$12…
- …and it’s a new round of BEETLEBUM (aka America’s favorite Britpop night) at Saint Vitus! Tickets are $5-$8 each, or FREE w/ Britpop/UK band t-shirt!
- Or if you’re more into early evening queer dance parties, then head to C’mon Everybody for Yes Homo! No cover, $3 Tecates and $6 wells from 4pm to 8pm.
- Hate dancing? Just wanna get philosophical from 7pm to 7am? Then most definitely get to the Brooklyn Public Library for and all-night marathon of philosophical debate, performances, screenings, readings and music! (Free!)
- Or go watch people go ice skating at Bryant Park in kilts! (Which sounds both potentially horrifying and hilarious!)
Sunday, February 3
- For starters, catch a brunch screening of Groundhog Day over at Nitehawk Williamsburg!
- But I guess we also kind of have to acknowledge the Super Bowl, yeah? Well, you can head to a $17+ “Superb Owl” party at House of Yes ft. a screening of the game, beer buckets, drink specials, hot wings, mozzarella sticks, jalapeño poppers, popcorn, cheerleaders, an immersive half time experience, etc.!
- Schimanski’s also hosting a Super Bowl shindig that’ll run you anywhere from $0 up to $30 depending on your preferences!
- Or you can watch ye olde BIG GAME from Syndicated’s theater seats! Reserve those for $12, or if you’re really rich, snag a VIP table (ft. platter of snacks for the table and two pitchers of any draft beer) for $250! (OR if you’re poor as heck, then just grab a seat at the bar free of charge.)
- And if you’d prefer to reserve a seat to watch it at Nitehawk Williamsburg instead, then grab a $30 food and beverage voucher! In addition to their dinner menu, they’ll have buffalo wings (Frank’s Red Hot, house made ranch, blue cheese, carrots, celery; 6 wings for $10 and 12 for $15) and will feature $6 regional beers for each team.
- But maybe you FUCKIN’ HATE SPORTS! (AND/OR TOM BRADY!) In which case post up at Elsewhere instead, where the one and only Hala will be playing a $12 show!
- It’s also Queer Soup Night’s 2nd anniversary party at Littlefield tonight! Soup! Flatbreads! Birthday cakes! Cocktails! Great company! $10-$20 suggested donation at the door to benefit Immigrant Families Together.
- For LOLs, head to Union Hall for Ellen Degenerous: I Simply Cannot Relate w/ Rachel Kaly, Jo Firestone, Julio Torres and more! Tickets are $8-$10 each.
- Plus catch The Flop House w/ Elliott Kalan, Dan McCoy and Stuart Wellington at the Bell House for $15!