Oh wow! It’s #NYFW again! How time flies or whatever LOL!
You should be very aware by now that I will never pass up an opportunity to use Anna Wintour GIFs, and this post, while it has very little to do with #NYFW in terms of #CONTENT, is no exception to that rule.
I suggest dodging FASHUN by hitting up things like an immersive screening of Half Baked, the queerest tribute to John Waters and Divine, The Lot Radio’s 3rd anniversary and MORE! But before I elaborate, let’s quickly talk about some CR00SH #CONTENT you might’ve missed on BYT this week:
- We interviewed a female monster truck driver about how her job kicks your job’s ass!
- Paul Holes, aka the guy who caught the Golden State Killer, gave us dating tips for how to avoid ending up with a psychopath! (Just in time for Valentine’s Day amirite?!)
- The L Word is officially coming back this year, but until we find out when (exactly), here’s a bunch of queer female-driven stuff that I think you should watch in the meantime!
- Our photographer Michael took a bunch of dope photos at a Rainbow Kitten Surprise show last weekend!
- And here are all the reasons we feel like February 2019 is gonna rule v. hard!
Thursday, February 7
- For starters, head to IFC Center for a sneak preview of Donnybrook ft. Q+A w/ director Tim Sutton! Tickets are $16 each.
- Meanwhile, just in time for Valentine’s Day, you can head to Caveat for How To Ruin His Life: A Tutorial On Hilarious Ways To Get Revenge w/ Milly Tamarez and Chris Burns! Tickets are $10 in advance, $12 at the door.
- Speaking of Valentine’s Day, there’s a tribute to John Waters and Divine over at Club Cumming tonight! Admission is just $5.
- If you’re more into comedy, then head to Strand Bookstore for QUEEROTICA 2019! All of the LGBTQ comedy ft. Jo Firestone, Tim Dillon, Samantha Ruddy, Sophie Santos and more! All you need to do is grab a $5 Strand gift card to attend. (So basically free!)
- In terms of learning, Brooklyn Brainery is hosting TWO courses tonight. The first is free and kind of hilarious (it’s literally called In Defense of Bidets), and the second, Lessons on Love and Heartbreak from 80s & 90s Television, is $10 and v. fitting for this time of year!
- Or if you’re more in a DIY mood, then head on over to Catland for a $15 incense-making class!
- OR if it’s t-t-t-t-tunes you’re after, then get to Baby’s All Right for a $12 show from Plastic Picnic, Future Heart and Fruit & Flowers!
- Plus it’s the annual Tibet House US Benefit Concert ft. Philip Glass, Laurie Anderson, Stephen Colbert, Debbie Harry and MANY MORE! Tickets are $35+.
- Or swing by Coney Island Baby for a $10 show from Hypoluxo, Peel Dream Magazin, The Natvral and Queue!
- More in the mood to cut a rug, though? Make a beeline for Bowery Electric, where you can catch DJ sets from Penguin Prison, Conor Cook (of VHS Collection), Misty Mtn and Humblaya! Tickets are $15 each.
Friday, February 8
- Get in the non-Valentine’s Day spirit over at Littlefield tonight, where it’s the Skint’s 4th annual “It’s Friday I’m (Not) In Love” Anti-Valentine’s Party! Tickets are $7-$10 each.
- In terms of LOLs, head to Union Hall for TWO shows tonight! The first is Sam Taggart: All 4 U ft. Catherine Cohen and Eudora Peterson, and tickets to that are $8-$10 each. After that is a new round of Cheap Date Comedy Show ft. Ramy Youssef, Mamoudou N’Diaye and more, and tickets are also $8-$10 each.
- Or if you’re down for late-night comedy, then get to UCB East for And I’m Not Lying at midnight! Lineup includes Emmy Blotnick and Eman El-Husseini, and tickets are $9 a pop.
- In terms of tunes, my top pick goes to an Erika Spring, Stranger Cat and Erin Durant show at Park Church Co-op! Tickets are $10-$12 each.
- Meanwhile, Tmboy will be at Union Pool for $10…
- …and you can also catch James Chance & The Contortions and Shilpa Ray over at The Safari Room at El Cortez! Tickets are $20.
- Just wanna d-d-d-d-dance? Head to Good Room for an extended Groove Armada DJ set! Tickets are $20-$30.
- Plus HELL YEAH, it’s a new round of that Whitney Houston x Mariah Carey dance party at C’mon Everybody for just $5!
Saturday, February 9
- Kick things off at Nitehawk for a brunch screening of Notting Hill!
- Or maybe you’re more in the mood for a new round of Deep House Yoga, in which case grab a $25 ticket and get to House of Yes!
- Meanwhile, Pearl River Mart is hosting a big ol’ Year of the Pig party at their Chelsea Market store from 4pm to 7pm! Free to attend!
- If roller derby is more your jam, then get to Littlefield for the 2019 Gotham Girls’ Derbytaunt! Admission to the party will run you $15.
- Or if you’re in the market for tunes, and happen to have $52+ to spare (I do not), then get to Irving Plaza for a COIN + Tessa Violet show!
- For dance party vibes, RSVP for FREE ENTRY to San Junipero: A Retrowave Dance Party at the Knitting Factory!
- Or if you’ve got a little extra $$$ to spare, then hit up Elsewhere for an evening w/ Hotel Garuda that kicks off at 11pm!
- It’s also The Lot Radio’s THIRD BIRTHDAY, and they’re havin’ a party at Brooklyn Bazaar from 7pm to 5am! Tickets are $20-$30 each.
Sunday, February 10
- For starters, you should ABSOLUTELY grab a ticket to BBQ Films’ Green Screen: Half Baked screening at Chelsea Music Hall! Grab a $20 ticket for GA, or up it to $35 for a bonus munchie box! There’ll be CBD cocktails for purchase (duh!), and doors open v. appropriately at 4:20pm.
- You should also pop by the Greenpointers Valentine’s Market! (You can snag some free drinks from Cinch while you’re there, too!)
- For comedy vibes, clearly head to one (if not both) of two rounds of #ADULTING w/ Michelle Buteau and Jordan Carlos! Each seating is just $10 a pop – the first will feature Nore Davis, Marie Faustin and Chris Redd, and the second’s got Wyatt Cenac, Alex English and Phoebe Robinson!
- Plus you can hang out with Jo Firestone at a new round of Friends of Single People at Littlefield! Put your love life in the hands of comedians! What could go wrong! Tickets are $8-$10 each.
- Or if you’re a soccer fan, then the place for you is Caveat! It’s a new round of Soccer Afternoon Live (the comedic variety show) w/ Jon Hudson and Neil Sharma! Tickets are $10-$12 each.
- But maybe you RLY LUV FASHUN, in which case head to House of Yes for Bushwick Fashion Night! Entry is free before 5pm, $10 after that.
- (Plus stick around for a new round of Daddy Issues, ’cause EVERYBODY LOVES A GOOD QUEER DANCE PARTY TO KEEP THE SUNDAY SCARIES AWAY! Tickets are $10.)
- Just hungry? Be sure to pop over to Project Parlor to grab a bowl of chili! Our buddy (and chili expert) Jenn De La Vega aka Randwiches is doing a pop-up from 4pm to 9pm!